Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

Possible for kids to sleep on floor of RB50? EB50?

We camp in cold weather lots - when the PH top on our 1990 SMB E350 needs to stay down (no heater).

It works well with the unusual layout we have now, cabinets on the sides, flip bench in back where two folks can comfortably sleep sideways. The aisle runs the length so plenty of room to sleep on the floor. Great great van but it's getting on in years. So been looking at what's out there gently used.

Given I'll likely never find another SMB with this sleep sideways layout, my the question is in a RB50 or EB50 is there room for children to sleep on the floor air mattress style? What about an adult?

If anybody has the dimensions from the bed base to the doghouse or seat base it would be super helpful.

Gracias!

glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Possible for kids to sleep on floor of RB50? EB50?

Our little man was on the floor on a dog bed for a few years when it was too chilly to pop our top or when going stealth, but we have heat. It was a bit tight, there's probably not enough floor space in a RB 50 for an adult, might be in a EB? We swapped our top for a CCV top that goes all the way to the windshield, so we now have a bed over the cab for him that sleeps sideways (at least for the next few years) as well as insulated canvas, while still chilly in the winter, a huge improvement. We will be putting it to the test this winter, we plan on doing a bit of skiing this year and spending some time winter camping at the slopes. I'm thinking we'll be using a small heater fan up top to supplement the suburban unless I can figure out how to pipe some heat up there.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #3

Garage

I have an RB 50 so I took a quick measurement for you.
It's 4'-9" from the base of the rear bench seat to the back of the cab seats. It's another 18" from there to the dog house. If you have 4 wheel drive the area gets pretty narrow between the passenger seat and the shifters. It's only 2'-9" wide between the cabinets behind the driver's seat to the cabinet on the barn door. So I think a small child would fit on the floor. As REF mentioned, Lake slept there for a while.
Depending on how the EB 50 back area and bench seat are arranged, you would have up to an additional 20" of floor length.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #4

Hey thanks for the responses guys much appreciated. Sounds like it ought to work pretty well, at least in the event we wind up with another van without a heater. That's my next thing to research.

Mike I had a peek at some of your images wow you've captured some spectacular wildlife. The wolf with the fish, amazing. And the foxes! I think it was a wolf but could be wrong, never seen one in the wild, living in LA most of our trips are the southwest and coastal northwest.

You've inspired me to add more images. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Joe
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Garage

Glad the info helps. They grow up fast so you better have an alternate plan soon.

It's a coyote with a fish in it's mouth. A wolf would have been cool though.

Mike