Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Transit vs Sprinter

Enjoy
[youtube:25giyggh]

Old 12-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #2

Re: Transit vs Sprinter

Here's another good review. We don't get the "Sport" version, which is built on the FWD variant of the Transit.
[youtube:3apwezg8]
Old 12-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

those vids give me hope... I was impressed with the Shelby hood stripes on the "Sport".

All of those rigs could outrun my big ol' sweetie on the course, yet, I wouldn't trade for all of them. Combined.

*hondaodysseyswoleup*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Here's another good review. We don't get the "Sport" version, which is built on the FWD variant of the Transit.
[youtube:1fy4zrp4]
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
In UK they have three different Transits instead of two (and maybe more I'm not aware of). The large Transit, like ours, which comes in RWD, FWD or AWD. They also get the FWD Transit Connect, and the FWD mid-size Transit Custom. The video's Sport looks just like the Custom.
So from what I can find, the full-size Transit is only RWD drive, even in Europe. At least for now. Maybe AWD will come out later.

The previous gen "Transit" included the mid-size FWD variants, with the same body and platform. The new mid-size/FWD variant is now the Transit Custom, which for the first time does not share the same body style as the full-size variant. I'm guessing the Custom is based on the Modeo/Fusion.

There's also two versions of the smallest Transit. The Connect and the Courier. The Connect is Focus-based, while the Courier appears to be Fiesta-based.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 1.57.24 PM.png  
Old 12-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #6

carringb, the UK Ford web site states the full size Transit is available in FWD, RWD, and AWD. Don't know if that's an error or if they are not out yet.

The Custom, which is available in two lengths and two heights, could make a great compact camper for anyone looking for a smaller garageable RV. The largest one is listed just under 94 inches tall and with 70 inches of interior headroom. Shorter people could stand inside a van that could pass under an 8-foot garage door. Interior room is listed at 8.3 cubic meters, which is around 293 cubic feet. That rivals largest Econoline in volume.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Garage

Just remember, as good as performance appears, these are unloaded vans, have no barwork, popup roof, interior camper conversion, roof rack, lighting, larger fuel & water tank.
Add one ton minimum and see if they perform the same, I doubt it. Strip your V8 Ford E350 gas or diesel, and I bet it goes amazingly.
I have sourced one of your US V8 Vans for my Australian use because loaded with a trailer it WILL do the job, with power, rigid chassis and resonable economy.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Just remember, as good as performance appears, these are unloaded vans, have no barwork, popup roof, interior camper conversion, roof rack, lighting, larger fuel & water tank.
Add one ton minimum and see if they perform the same, I doubt it. Strip your V8 Ford E350 gas or diesel, and I bet it goes amazingly.
I have sourced one of your US V8 Vans for my Australian use because loaded with a trailer it WILL do the job, with power, rigid chassis and resonable economy.
Sheriffdoug, all I can say to that is Good on ya mate!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
carringb, the UK Ford web site states the full size Transit is available in FWD, RWD, and AWD. Don't know if that's an error or if they are not out yet.
Found it. You are right. All 3 power train layouts are available except in the Jumbo vans. I was looking at the Ford Germany website, and did not see it. Maybe its and RHD/LHD thing for now? Of course I just might not be seeing it. Anyways, Ford UK has a nice comprehensive brochure:

http://www.ford.co.uk/cs/BlobServer?...932&blobkey=id
Old 12-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #10

carringb, that's a little more detailed information than I had seen before for the European full-size Transit, and it answers a couple of questions I was wondering about. Thanks for posting.

As expected the AWD version is definitely based on RWD instead of FWD model. That would be such a natural option here.

The FWD version drops floor 100 mm which is just under 4 inches. The overall height of the mid-roof ranges from around 98 to 100 inches.

The listed "metric" headroom for the mid-roof converts to 5'-10" (approximately 70 inches), which makes more sense than the US spec of 72 inches. The US mid roof seems lower than 6-feet.

The only engine I see listed is a 2.2 liter diesel for all sizes. It comes in 100, 125, and 155 PS ratings. I did not see the 3.2 liter I-5 diesel or any gasoline/petrol engine listed. I'm still amazed that in US we would never consider buying a huge van like this with an engine well under 200 HP.