Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #1

EB Ford Window Van - Window Tint Options

Hello,

I'm curious what folks opinions are about window tint on their vans. I have an '06 Ford EB Window van that I'm building out. I recently started a thread over on the Homemade/Ground Up sub forum where I have more photos, etc: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15938.

I just bought the van recently and I'm taking it for window tinting on Thursday, 4/23/15.

What I have in mind right now is get 5% on the four back side windows and 20% tint on all the other windows and maybe a strip across the windshield. I haven't tinted a car out in a long time but have had tint installed numerous times in the past. I know 5% tint can be really dark and impact visibility, especially at night. What I suspect though is that the four back windows won't make that much of a difference and that the extra privacy would be worth it.

My overall plans include a permanent queen size platform bed in the back behind the galley and custom double bench seat that I plan to install. This is all still in the works but that's what I have in mind.

Any thoughts or links to previous threads on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

Re: EB Ford Window Van - Window Tint Options

I had a reputable local shop tint everything except the front doors and windshield with 2 layers of 5%, it cost an arm and a leg mostly because they had to remove all the old 20%. I wanted it that dark for security reasons when I have to leave $30k worth of motorcycles in it overnight while traveling, it makes the wife less squeamish about changing "in front of people" when we are camping too. If I turn the interior lights on at night, you would probably not even notice from outside... it's still brighter than a cargo van inside though! It was not real enjoyable when I loaded the van up with people last year to go look at Christmas lights and my passengers could only see "the good ones."

That being said, if you plan to spend time just hangin' out inside the van, your plan of just tinting the back 4 (and I'm assuming the back doors as well?) makes a lot more sense. The strip across the windshield has always bothered me since it is 1/2 way in my line of sight, but I'm 6'5".

Here you can see the interior when I had just 20% on the same windows:

...and not quite an interior shot, but you can get an idea with 2 layers of 5% here:

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #3

BTW, your van would have been a much better platform for a "moto-van" than mine with the high top AND high back doors, I'm jealous!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 PM   #4

5% will make things dark, but unless you go double 5%, people will still be able to see in if a light is on inside and it wont do anything for blocking light in the morning, so you will still need curtains. I say go 5% on all the windows behind the front roll ups and go 35% on the front roll ups. When you camp, get some reflectix and make window shades for the cold and heat. Then you dont have to worry about people being able to see in or the sun in the morning.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

Tint the rear very dark and install a backup camera. Easy to do where you are in this build.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Window vans tend to present a lot of challenges especially if they're used as people movers in addition to any other use. Too dark on the window tint and passengers in the rear areas have greatly reduced visibility----its a huge compromise that tends to not have too much middle ground.

For myself if I have windows I want inside-out max visibility otherwise they're pretty unnecessary, IMHO anyway.

For overnight camping or parking I'd strongly suggest this thread for a great idea how to DIY privacy screens: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=40&t=11820. Skyrat has devised a very nice solution.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #7

Since we're throwing out opinions here, I suggest 5% on everything but the front two. It's legal where I am. I also have an eye band (across the front windshield) of 2% or 5%, as dark as you can get, but mark it for them above your sight line, don't just blindly ask them to do it or they will guess. I always put 20% on the driver's and passenger windows of my vehicles, and 5% everywhere else. For a camper van I do two things for safety/visibility when backing and parking, first, use a backup camera, and second ROLL DOWN the windows when you're backing up! Then you can see out of your mirrors at night or whenever. This is a good safety practice not only for vision but for being able to hear people, kids or pets you might not know are around. Take advantage of your available senses. I don't know why more people don't do this.

Also, I know I'm here but put down the dang cell phone people. I see more fools backing a vehicle up with a cell phone in their hands every day and I think why not just say "hold on" and do your backing, then resuming gabbing away on that phone like you're going to do whether it's legal or not. OK, sorry for the rant, but generally people have some pretty unsafe habits, and having dark windows isn't one of them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #8

Garage

i usually tint my cars with 5-15% on the sides and 20-25% on rear windows. this way i can still see out the back window at night and if i need to use the side mirrors, i can roll down the windys. that way the tint looks uniform on the sides front to back. i didnt do this with the van, but plan on it when i retint my 2 front windows. im going to make the sides match the crl window i just installed (which is very dark, but no idea about %) and leave the rear doors at 20%. i had double 5% on my toyota on the 3 rear windows and it was absolutely impossible to see out of at night. even in the day it was a pita...sometimes all i could see in the rearview mirror was a reflection of what was in front of me, lol. likely not an issue with how deep the vans are though.

most definitely plan on a backup camera though. moreso for watching what im hauling vs actually needing viability backing up though. the tow mirrors you can get to replace the regular mirrors the older vans come with help a lot with backing up too. they dont seem to help much with towing though, even when extended.

however, i will not put a strip across the front windshield on the van like i do with the cars. even the factory blue strip bothers me when trying to sightsee our surroundings while out and about. anyone know if our van windshields are available without that factory tint? jwa, you are being summoned for your knowledge

any of you guys tint the entire front windshield? its illegal, but theres no way to prove its done, at least in this state...yet. i had one of my cars done with 35% and i loved it. never had to wear sunglasses. i later replaced it with 50% when i needed a new windshield and didnt like it as much. im contemplating doing this with the van but still on the fence.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

I would suggest using blackout tint for the windows you need privacy for. nearly 0% light transmission.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #10

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to go with 32% on the front (legal in TN) and 18% everywhere else. I have reflectix covers for when I need absolute privacy. This give maximum drivability and work best for us.

The was $225 even, surprised at that. Shop in Rossville, GA called 2A autoglass.

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote