Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Rear view mirror

I guess the string of 100 degree plus days here in Texas have proven to be too much for my poor Chevy express van. Went to check something today(code for playing in the van) and the mirror was sitting on the floor. All in one piece anyhow. Are there any better kits or should I just get a generic reglue kit form Auto Zone or Kelly's? Thanks

oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Rear view mirror

I got a black 96 Impala that sits in full sun a lot of times and several years ago found my mirror hanging by the wires. The local glass shop claimed to have a glue better than what the Factory uses...err, or at least he said so. For 20 bucks I felt it was worth trying and it still there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Being in the auto/truck glass biz I've found the LocTite brand consumer packages of rear view mirror adhesives to be about the best out there----its what the OEM glass manufacturers use during production. Other brand names including Permatex just don't seem to be as long lasting. That's odd because Permatex and LocTite are essentially the same company.

Try finding the actual LocTite brand regardless what the local sellers try steering you towards. perhaps online is the best source for those not in the glass biz.

The key is using a bit more than one might suspect in order to build a thicker pad of adhesive between the mounting button and glass. In fact it's best mounting the button by itself first in order to achieve the best bond. Lightly sanding the button with Emery cloth against a flat hard surface until its clean of all adhesive residue then clean with alcohol or acetone---- wipe that off quickly, don't let it evaporate away.

Using the supplied cleaner/primer apply the adhesive to the button, place on glass then hold for 10 seconds, keep those fingers OUT of the glue! After 10-15 minutes using a new single-edge razor blade remove any primer or adhesive ooze before re-attaching the mirror and all should be good for another long time.

Hope this helps!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Just curious if you don't get it on straight is there a way to safely remove it & start all over?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Just curious if you don't get it on straight is there a way to safely remove it & start all over?
Absolutely NO! I've tried this a few times, once or twice successful in not breaking the windshield so its not something I'd advise anyone trying.

That being said there are devices and procedures to do this however most glass shops don't have the equipment.

Aligning the button carefully is key though----not that you guys needed to be told.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I couldn't find the Loctite either and ended up with the Permeates. I used more than the small drop they suggested. I'll let you know if it falls off soon.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:35 AM   #7
JWA

The thought behind "more is better" in this case is when/if there's a sufficiently thick pad of adhesive its better able to absorb the sun's rays and withstand the heat the button would see.

These days glass-mounted mirror buttons are shielded by a black spot that seems to work quite well.

FWIW I find an interior rear view mirror useless and annoying so when replacing windshields in my own personal van that button is the first thing removed.