Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

thinking of getting a new front grille

I have a 2002 so its got that oval grill in shiny chrome , i dont like shape or the chrome.
I like the looks off billet griles but I drive alot in the BC interior including the the highway to hell" the Coquihalla Highway. Steep and very hot.
I like the look of the 92-96 grills especially if I got plastidipped or painted.
What do you guys think?
What years grills do you like?

Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #2

Garage
Re: thinking of getting a new front grille

92-96 was my favorite grill as well (didnt know exact years, so thanks ).

i swapped out the grill from my 03 with one from a 95 and plasti-dipped it as well. much happier with the overall appearance. not a fan of emblems, so this was an easy way to shave the front one. i went to composite headlights at the same time. i had to swap the headlight bucket from the 95 as well. entire swap took less than 30 min other than the headlight wiring, but thats only because i was doing it in below freezing temps and my soldiering iron was having a hard time getting hot enough, lol.

from this (sold that bumper for a few hundred on our local cl).

to this.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #3

I threw a perfect 95 grill away when I got my van and am regretting it. I got a billet grill before I knew how much it might contribute to overheating. i have since removed it and now need to rebuy one like I had. Doh!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

@shenrie
Damn that looks really good on your van.
I found this online

@86 Scotty
Im glad I learned about billet grills the easy was instead of having to go back after buying one. I do like the look thou..
Attached Thumbnails
van grill.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

shenrie Your van looks really good . I want to convert my sealed beams to composites. reelchef67 I was going to post that exact image (grill compare) You beat me to it . and reelchef67 i like the lift on your van.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

I have a billet and wanted to get some increased airflow as well. After some pondering I simply removed every other cross piece and rattle canned it black. If I decide I like it I'll try and go back and possibly powder coat it. It looks pretty good actually and there is a lot more room for airflow although I'd be hard pressed to say exactly how much it has dropped my temps. They do seem to stay a few degrees lower than they used to under any given driving condition but that is just a seat of the pants measurement. I can take a picture this weekend if there is any interest in seeing what it looks like.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #7

Interesting to see the four side-by-side. I have "the smile." (1998). I think I like the '92-'96 and '03-'07 best. Interesting that they essentially blocked off the sides on the later one.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
I have a billet and wanted to get some increased airflow as well. After some pondering I simply removed every other cross piece and rattle canned it black. If I decide I like it I'll try and go back and possibly powder coat it. It looks pretty good actually and there is a lot more room for airflow although I'd be hard pressed to say exactly how much it has dropped my temps. They do seem to stay a few degrees lower than they used to under any given driving condition but that is just a seat of the pants measurement. I can take a picture this weekend if there is any interest in seeing what it looks like.
Yeah, shoot a pic. I'd also like to see some results in what your temps have dropped to if you
can post some results.

I did see a huge drop in transmission temps after I put in hood louvers but I've had a billet
grill from day one. Not only do they look good but a billet grill protects from rocks. I'm just afraid
that I won't see a huge drop in temps because I have a set of hood louvers cut in. Hard to weigh
in on what is the best but If I did know for sure that I'd see a big drop in ECT's, I might not
worry so much about the rock protection.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #9

Garage

^^^ id also like to see a pic of that. great idea whith! sure is some smart cookies round these parts. id have never thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I threw a perfect 95 grill away when I got my van and am regretting it. I got a billet grill before I knew how much it might contribute to overheating. i have since removed it and now need to rebuy one like I had. Doh!
i wish i could just throw stuff away. im trying for my spot as a feature on hoarders.

the 92-95 grills are pretty easy to comeby. if your having issues locating one, lmk. easy snag round here

*shamless plug* i picked up a nice billet grill from another member here a while back, but it ended up not working for future plans/project. its for sale if anyone is interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67
@shenrie
Damn that looks really good on your van.
thank you! i really appreciate that

and cool pic. nice to have all that info in one easy to post pic. i also really like the look of the billet grills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan
shenrie Your van looks really good .
thank you as well good sir!!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
i wish i could just throw stuff away. im trying for my spot as a feature on hoarders.
Ha. I have the same problem, especially with original parts (even if I can't imagine why I'd use them again).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote