bitburger - Grand Tetons
Login FAQ
Register  

Sportsmobileforum.com

An online forum community for the owners, admirers and fans of Sportsmobile vans and Sprinters, new and old. Share photos, advice, discuss modifications, camping or buy & sell. Anyone who owns, has a passion for, or just curiosity about SMBs, come in!
The time now is Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:11 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

The only reason I didn't jump on the REI one I posted is because of the issue of no floor. In other words there is just a piece of foam between you and the water on the floor so it tends to taco fold some according to one reviewer. Hence why the other advanced elements posted above from Campmor is $625 because it has the floor and some other integral designs that make it work much better I am thinking. I am leaning towards the Campmor link rather than the REI link.
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 am   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Good call on not getting the one with a substantial floor. One big consideration for me is how high out of the water I sit. I'm on my 3rd IK and have test driven quite a few others. If you buy one without enough flotation for your size you will be sitting in the water all day. Tube size and floor design all contribute the the amount of flotation you have. You need to make sure you have enough flotation to keep the boat riding high enough so the water will drain out of the holes in between the side tubes and the floor.

Some of the less expensive IK's on the market will tend to taco on you. If your boat won't hold it's shape when you hit a wave you won't be able to remain in control. Once you loose control the odds are you will end up swimming. This isn't really an issue on flat water. Hull design is an important consideration for a flat water boat. You really need something with a well designed floor so the boat will track straight. If your boat doesn't track well you will be wasting a lot of energy making constant corrections while you paddle.

I'm not familiar with the material used in the constuction of the boats people have posted on this thread so I can't really comment on their toughness. I will say most of the damage inflatable boats get takes place when the boat is being transported. If you just roll up the boat and stuff it in your rig without putting it in a bag you run the risk of putting a hole in it due to the material vibrating against some surface. Boat bags are cheap insurance to keep your IK from sprouting leaks.

You can pick up an IK sized boat bag from Sotar for $41
http://www.sotar.com/boat-options-acces ... index.html

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Last edited by Gnarvan on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:27 am   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Thanks guys!
2000 BMW 323iTouring
2002 BMW Dinan 530i
HobbyistVendor
Admin V
Support Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 am   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Bit off topic, but there's an interesting, rigid Jackson Coosa stand up fish out of kayak posted on ExPo. No affiliation.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... sa-Wyoming

I purchased this new in Jan. 11. I've had it on the water about 7 or 8 times. Basically it has been taken back home to Arkansas the last two summers and used on a memorial weekend float trip with my family. This is an excellent stand up fish out of kayak. My dad is 65 and on the heavier side and can be in his from sun up to sundown with the hi/lo seat. I have installed 3 scotty mounts that can be used with various accessories, IE. Pole Holders. Recently had a child so will be looking to help fund a Jackson Tuna. Asking $800, willing to meet in Fort Collins, possibly Loveland for SERIOUS buyers, otherwise I reside on FE Warren in Cheyenne.

Herb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

You might want to consider an inflatable SUP. I have tons of kayaks but my kids love to paddle around on this
http://www.advancedelements.com/hula.html
Bought mine at REI outlet $600 bucks. I use it on lakes, the ocean, and rivers. Comes with paddle and pump. I'm selling my surf board to buy one more!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 am   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Is the board stiff enough to hold 210 lbs in your opinion?

have you seen the Point 65 Martini kayaks? real neat 2 piece

google it

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
HobbyistVendor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

We have an Aire tandem sit on top. Works well for flat water, white water up to class 3, and kayak surfing. It has been sturdy, reliable, and a lot of fun.

Rolled up, it's just barely legal for airline checked baggage, with help of a rope corset.

Storage in the van is less than ideal. It sits in the shower pan, and we move every time we shower. But, hey, this lifestyle involves some sacrifices.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

You sure your not hauling around bodies! some kind of Green River Sportsmobile Killer! Just kidding. I don't bother to defalte my SUP just throw it up on the roof rack and it makes a great cushion for my glass sea kayak. Carl, I weigh 156 lbs buy a bigger one and I notice a slight flex in my 11'9 inflatable SUP, so get a longer and wider one. If you really want no flex buy a glass SUP - no need to inflate and they are low proifle on a roof rack. Good for lakes, fishing, rivers, and small ocean surf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Go to the http://www.seaeagle.com and look thru their product line , inexpensive with good customer satisfaction reputation and numerous models to choose from .
Greggd
Admin
Support Platinum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Sadly I had to sell my two Hobie kayaks when I was ill and unable to work. Now that I am better I want to get another kayak. I think inflatables would be better. I will stay tuned to this discussion stream. Good information here.
Dana Spicer Gear, ARB Full Air Locking Differential
285/75R16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires
Aluminess Bumpers F/R, Bushwhacker fender flares
Smittybilt XRC 12 Winch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Mac
see my post on first page of this
I really like our advanced element kayak
Admin
Support Platinum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Rob:

Of the kayaks listed on this discussion stream, the one you have looks the best. I'm keeping it in mind for when I am ready to buy. It looks like we are moving to Wyoming so I will have more opportunities to use a kayak there than here in Las Vegas.

Mac
Dana Spicer Gear, ARB Full Air Locking Differential
285/75R16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires
Aluminess Bumpers F/R, Bushwhacker fender flares
Smittybilt XRC 12 Winch
Last edited by macmcintire on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Hi Everyone,
Although I don't kayak I do have a friend that does. We were talking on the weekend and he was telling me about his hobby. He likes Keppler folding kayaks. They are compact enough to put in the trunk of his car and easy to pack into secluded lakes. Have a look, they have many models to choose from. Here's the link: http://www.klepperamerica.com/.
Cheers
Darryl
Borg Waren 1356 TC
IFS with Automatic locking hubs
Bilstein shocks
VA7DTP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

4x4kayaker wrote:
You might want to consider an inflatable SUP. I have tons of kayaks but my kids love to paddle around on this
http://www.advancedelements.com/hula.html
Bought mine at REI outlet $600 bucks. I use it on lakes, the ocean, and rivers. Comes with paddle and pump. I'm selling my surf board to buy one more!

We love the inflatable hula 11 too! Lucky to have picked it up at REI outlet store for $600 with the pump and paddle. They aren't available for less than $800 normally, and that's without a paddle. Takes up a lot less space than that inflatable kayak :b4:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am   Post subject: Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Saw this while surfing (the web) this morning. Not a recommendation - I have no experience with it; just found it interesting, sorta unintuitive, and very unique :a3: :

http://www.orukayak.com/