Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

Looking to haul a 300 lb dual sport back of my E-350 SMB. Have stock trailer package, Aluminess bumpers. Trying to get some feedback on both brand of carrier, how you've found it holding up? Also, the addition of any supports or additional hitch brackets to reinforce overall strength?

Any input from those hauling a motorcycle would be greatly appreciated!

carl

www.xtrememobileadventures.com

2010 SMB
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

Re: Hitch Motorcycle carrier feedback please

I realize and have read search on the topic. Looking for more longer term feedback on how to solve this issue of 300 lbs "extended" to clear galley box.

thanks

carl

2010 SMB
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

I carry an xr400 on a moto jack rack with a 6" (I think) hitch extension to raise the carrier off the ground and to clear my spare tire and aluminess box.

This setup works OK and is secure for road travel. The clearance of the spare and box is about 6".

But, I hate the way all that unsuspended weight effects the van's handling. You feel every bump and I drive with extra caution.

An RB would probably do much better than an EB.

I have driven thousands of miles with the bike on the back. That said, I am much more comfortable and relaxed when pulling the bike(s) on a utility trailer.

R
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #4

I bought a Chinese built carrier with additional front rack. I don't know the brand, but could find out for you. I have two remarks/suggestions for you when you look for and find one.

1) Make sure it's well build. Meaning that the steel is proper thickness. When I would tie my bike down to the carrier it would "bananna" when I tightened down the straps. Meaning the bars that extend to be used as tie down mounts are too thin and flex to where the whole ramp just bananna's.

2) Invest in some kind of anti-wobble device or even better yet, weld or take your carrier to a weld shop and modify the carrier so the hitch receiver isn't the only point of attachment as it will be terrible for stability. Not sure if I explained that right but my bike and carrier would rock back and forth depending on road conditions.

Here's what mind looks like:

And here is what an Anti-wobble device looks like...

Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

my big concern is the clearance (use of some extension), reducing tongue weight capacity. To clear rear big bumper, galley box, etc.... also as you say, getting a quality rack that I can modify by adding 2 additional connection points which seems to make sense.

carl

2010 SMB
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I have the moto hauler and I like its build better then the others. I have my LC4 640 on it and it works great other then the bumper is to high and I need to find a low spot to get the bike on it. when jacked up and locked in place it gives me about 4 inchs to the spare and sits pretty high. I do have Ruenel bumpers and no box.

The van rides great with the deavers and the weight on the back and mine is a RB not a EB.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

I use my double-bike carrier with a 12" extension. It's one of these:
http://www.discountramps.com/double-mot ... arrier.htm

For long drives with one bike (usually a Honda 650XL) the bike usually goes on the rear tray, so that we can still open and access the back doors. It hangs WAYYYY back there so you actually have to worry about tail-swing in tight areas. I just run a pair of cam straps up to the roof rack to prevent wobble.

I have a Reunel integrated receiver, so its rated for 6,000 pounds vertical load (20k pull rating). Most Class-5 hitches would be strong enough for this, but a stock 3/4 receiver will be overloaded.

I modified the hitch extension to give it about a 5-degree up angle, which gives about 6" more ground clearance at the end of the rack. (this pic before the ground clearance modification was made.... actually has some sag from the slop at both hitch joints)
Attached Thumbnails
colorado hills.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

any pictures of a carrier and bike on a SMB that has rear galley box/aluminess tire carrier, etc... would be great.
thanks

2010 SMB
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

BTW - adding a bike on a carrier will add a lot of weight to the rear axle. Much more than just the weight of the bike and rack. Watch those tire ratings, and also axle rating on semi-float axles.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #10

What about the front?