Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Towing Expectations

Hey Guys,

My 2006 4x4 Class C RV will soon be up for sale and my new to me 2006 EB 6.0 is at Ujoint Offroad getting the full treatment.

My plan as I've said before on this forum is to switch to a base camp strategy towing a nice livable travel trailer and using the van for short term camping and to keep our toys dry while traveling.

The van interior will be very simple, essentially just sleeping platform and open area so it should be pretty light weight.

The van is getting a 6" lift, stage two Dana front axle, 10.5 Sterling rear axle, with 4.56 gears and 35" tires.

From a dependability and performance standpoint we are doing an EGR delete, cleaning the turbo, cleaning the oil cooler and putting on a mild tune. +80HP or so.

Now the questions. I want to pull a pretty nice trailer. The top choice after looking at a ton of trailers is:

http://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/windriver/model.php?id=144

Realistically fully loaded I bet it will be at or near the 8900 lbs.

Am I out of my mind?

What is the real difference between the van and a 2006 Superduty. The new Ujoint front axle has F550 brakes. The rear axle will be stronger. I'm installing Mag Hytec diff covers and Trans pan. I plan on upgrading the Tranny cooler.

Am I not taking into account the higher rolling resistance of the 35's?

Am I crazy?

Jim

2006 Quigley 21' Class C RV
2008 KLR 650
2006 EB 6.0 Ujoint E350
Travel Trailer ????

capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Re: Towing Expectations

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you get a good weight-distribution hitch with built-in sway control to make up for the extra side-wall flex with those tall tires.

I think 4.56 gears will still keep the 6.0 in its power band while towing.

I would suggest some airbags, if for nothing else at least it keeps the headlights aimed.

I tow nearly double that weight on occasion. FWIW i have the Tru-Cool max trans 40k trans cooler. Turns out even with the MagHytek cover its my diff that overheats first.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

carringb,

Thanks for the reply. Chris is installing his airbag setup which disconnect from the base to allow articulation of the suspension.

I plan on going with a high quality hitch with sway control for sure.

Do you have a temp sensor in you diff?

Jim
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

To check temps, I use an infrared sensor from Harbor Freight. $30-40 on sale. Daily, or when circumstances dictate, I check U-joints, axle bearings, brakes, transfer case, diffs, etc. When a component starts to get hotter than the others I service it, not waiting for a failure.

The cheap sensor may not be accurate, but I can still spot a part that is too hot.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

The IR sensor is a great idea!

Jim
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Do you have a temp sensor in you diff?

Jim
Yes. The Mag-Hytek has a sender port already built-in. I went with Autometer for the temp gauge solely for the fact is says "DIFF" on the face so if somebody else is driving they know what its for.

That said..... if you don't drive like I do, you probably don't need it. The only time I had to stop to let it cool was climbing westbound out of Death Valley when it was 107F out, and our combined weight 22,000. I was keeping it at WOT for the most part. I didn't realize how ling the climb was or I would have slowed it down a little.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Team

A Pyrometer would be a good investment as well. Towing that kind of weight up even a modest incline, your exhaust can reach 1300 degrees quite easily.

Herb
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

I would take into consideration 4.88's also. Weight may pull you out of you power quicker/easier than you think.
I would rather be over-lowered on diff gear ratio and back off on mph if I (you) have so much darned power.
Keep speeds at 55-65 mph I would say and relax if you can. Anyone driving 65 + with a 4x4 van and big trailer is pushing his luck IMO.
Big brakes are not for hauling down on a dime, they are to help keep their cool on big downhills.
CDL mentality would be good.
I would follow carringb's recommendations on the rest.

Enjoy your travels! I do the base camp style thing too.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

Garage
Towing Expectations

I have a 7.3 with a 4" lift, f550 front brakes, 4:56 gears, and the same interior. It is a different engine but I manage to stay in the power band pretty well. I have towed 10k multiple times and 20k a few also. The loads seem to have the same effect as my boat, dump trailer, or my single axle wells cargo 6x12. You should be better off than me since your motor has quite a bit more juice. Max acceleration makes a valid point on the gears. I went from 3:73 to 4:56 while John at Quadvan suggested 4:30. I'm happy where I landed and am very glad I didn't go with 4:30. My engine has a mild tune also and a big tranny cooler. I say you are not insane deciding on this but partly insane like the rest of us with these killer vans.

Brad
Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #10

Guys,

Any thoughts on water / methanol injection to decrease EGT's will pulling up long mountain grades?

http://www.snowperformance.net/diesel-tow-max.html

Jim