Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #1

Got a new Trailer...it's kinda BIG!!

It's less for Camping as it is for Hauling, but in conjuction with my SMB I think they make a pretty neat little combo. But first, reason I had this built was because I have a race truck and Motorcycles that needed a transport, however at the same time I was in need of a RV that had some of the basic functions that my SMB couldn't fill such as full Kitchen and Bathroom. So, only logical solution was to get a Custom Toy Hauler made!!

Most Toy Haulers out there are built for toys which weight a max of 2000lbs and the garages aren't big enough for full size toys, so I basically built a Car Hauler with some living quarters built in the front.

Trailer specs are:
-28' trailer w/ 4' tongue (32' total)
-Triple 5200lb axle (15,600 Gross towing capable)
-Hidden Dove Tail
-A/C
-Full Kitchen (Fridge, Oven, Microwave, etc...)
-Full bathroom with stand-up shower.
-45 gallon Fresh water tank
-35 gallon Grey water tank
-35 gallon Black water tank
-6 gallon water heater
-18' x 8' garage w/ loading ramps
-Rhino Lined Garage

Here's a couple pics of the build...

Framing:

Interior paneling:

Exterior siding:

And here are some exterior pics of it finished. I picked it up this morning and spent a good part of the day getting it all sorted out towing equipment wise and mating it with my SMB. Most of these pics were taken with the wrong hitch receiver, I had to go buy an adjustable one that raised the ball about 9-10". So if you see that the front of the trailer seems low, it's because it is.

Interior shots:

Here's the Garage, again 18' x 8' with multiple tie-downs and loading ramps over the wheel wells.

And here's a couple pics with the Awning out:

Propane tanks which operate the hot water heater, oven/cook top, and fridge. There's also a battery rack right in front for some Deep Cycle batteries which I plan to install there in the future.

And here the adjustable Hitch that I had to buy, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be buying another one here in the near future that has tow-bars on it.

So a couple notes about the set-up, like I said I'm gonna look into getting some Tow-bars installed. Driving on the Freeway was fine unless I got passed or passed some big rigs and then the trailer would sway some. Enough for me to want to look into getting that fixed. Power wise I had plenty of power, never was left lacking/wanting for more power despite the trailer being portly. Couple times I had to pass some Big-rigs and what not and it was not an issue. I actually don't think I ever gave more than 50% throttle at any time and still accelerated at a good enough clip to merge with faster traffic. I do need to monitor tranny temps though, I think that is the current weak link with the set-up.

Trailer currently has no house batteries but I found out that that is not really an issue. Turns out that while plugged into my Van, the 7-pin wiring harness powers the whole Trailer! Granted I need to address the batteries on my Van and add to the two batteries that I already have, but it makes things easier for how I want to set things up. Basically all I need is a Honda 2000 to power the A/C, and aside from that, I would think two 12V AGM Deep Cycle batteries on the Van should power the trailer sufficiently since the Oven, Fridge and water Heater are propane powered. And when not connected to the Trailer, those extra batteries will power the fridge and microwave that I will have in the SMB. The only thing the Batteries would need to power on the Trailer would be the interior lights, the water pump and any accessories I would have plugged in.

Tomorrow I have to load my truck into it, should see if this was all worth it. Hope it fits, I only measured it once!!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #2

Re: Got a new Trailer...it's kinda BIG!!

Really nice! Looks like a really good build quality. Have you thought about adding some fold-down bunks on the walls in the garage area for extra sleeping space when the garage is empty?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Really nice! Looks like a really good build quality. Have you thought about adding some fold-down bunks on the walls in the garage area for extra sleeping space when the garage is empty?
I have, and it will probably happen, however I want to see how my truck fits in there before I put the beds in. If drop down beds from the ceiling hang too low and cause clearance issues with the truck than I will have to think of different alternatives.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

FYI if you have two batteries, the trailer may only be operating off one. Allowing you to start the van even if you draw down the aux battery.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #5

Nice triple axle!

You need propane tank covers .. would you like some? I have a new pair off my Fleetwood Saratoga tent trailer. Members on the popupportal look for them all the time. Anyways, PM me with your address and I'll send them to you, free.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 RB Quigley V10
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Nice triple axle!

You need propane tank covers .. would you like some? I have a new pair off my Fleetwood Saratoga tent trailer. Members on the popupportal look for them all the time. Anyways, PM me with your address and I'll send them to you, free.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 RB Quigley V10

HAHA!! Absolutley I want them!!! I was just shopping for some today but couldn't find any so figured I would give it a shot tomorrow! But heck yeah I'll take them!! Thanks so much!! Will send you a PM shortly!!
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

So... small update!!

Got the weight distributing system installed as well as a Sway controller. Sway Controller was a bit redundant but it can't hurt, only help. Although this friction type Sway Controller promises to be noisy, especially when it starts to get weathered! :/

Anyways, on to what I do best (picture whoring)

So here's the new Hitch:

That small ball mount is for the Sway controller.

Here is the weight distribution system hooked up:

And then with the sway controller:

And then...look what snuck it's way into the Trailer!!

Turns out it fit between the wheel wells nicely :P

Also plenty of room behind the truck:

And In front too:

I think all in all I have about 18" of clearance fore and aft and about 22" side to side. Plenty of room, so that's a bit of a relief. I think fully loaded as it is now I'm probably pushing close to 13,000lbs...

Also got a small vid of my Duramax in action!! Love this engine!!! I decided I wanted to try to back up the loaded trailer, up a 15% Hill!! Haha

http://youtu.be/-MHwaAfMc6A
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I use the same load distribution system and sway control and have never heard it make noise and is very stable.

That is a nice trailer.

I had a wide side door built in to my trailer right were the vehicle door lines up - easy to get out of the race car that way.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #9

Lookin' good! You won't regret the sway/weight distribution system. It may seem like overkill now but it's made to help you in sticky situations, like when some ***hole pulls out in front of you, or when the cross winds are really bad. That big box is going to move around a lot when a big rig comes at you at 70 mph in the wind. This is when my van moves the most also, but I used to pull a 31' trailer everywhere, so I'm quite familiar.

Really cool setup, are you just stuck climbing out the truck window?

Also, I'm curious how your exhaust mods/etc. on the van work out with the truck in the trailer. How does it PULL!!!

I would invest in a power lift for your trailer (instead of the hand crank). You'll soon see what I mean! They are really a time and back saver. You'll already get pretty tired of the time and effort it takes to hook/unhook all of the weight distribution every time. Besides, you couldn't be tired of spending money yet!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #10

Your propane tank covers should be in the mail later this week. Enjoy.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote