Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Big Base Camp Trailer and Ujoint Van

I just bought a new trailer. We are switching from our 4x4 Class C to a Ujoint Offroad 6.0 EB pulling a travel trailer. The trailer is considered a 4x4 trailer so we can pull it slowly on dirt roads into larger BLM campsites. From there we can use the van to get out further. We'll camp out in the van for one to three nights returning to base camp when we are ready for a real shower and a walk around queen bed.

The trailer is considered four season with the mountain extreme package (double pane windows).

Should have the trailer tomorrow. More picks to follow and I'll update on towing performance with my 6.0.

The van has 35" tires, 4.56 gears 6.0 with EGR delete, 80hp tune, 4" exhaust, pyro gauge, scan gauge II, and most important trucker air horns hooked up to the on board air system.

More to follow...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  

capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #2

Re: New Trailer on the way to me!!!

keep us posted on how you like it. I'm looking for a smaller trailer with a shower for the wife. You buy new? it looks like a nice base camp for your van to come home to!
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

Re: New Trailer on the way to me!!!

We got the new trailer and the van. So far we are loving the base camp strategy. It's so nice not breaking down camp every time we want to go for a mountain bike ride or pick up more beer. Hooked up the weight equalizing hitch for the first time and pulled it around the campsite. This week we will do our first longer pull then the week after we will pull it across country. I'm a bit worried about heat build up. I'll know a lot more in a couple of days.

Jim
2006 6.0 PSD EB Ujoint 6"
2013 Wind River 240RKSW
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #4

Garage
Re: Big Base Camp Trailer and Ujoint Van

Nice road train ! ;-)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #5

We pulled our first 100 miles yesterday.

It pulled fantastic, the Ujoint built suspension and airbag setup where dead on. We are using a Husky Centerline weight equalizing hitch and experienced no sway or wag.

Heat was a bit of an issue as we climbed a couple of very steep grades in the Adirodacks. I saw 233 on EOT for a second.

I meant to climb with the heater on but forgot. We turned the heat on high just as we crested the hill and the EOT fell rapidly.

We'll see what happens on the next big pull with the heat on.

I'm also thinking about moving my big 40,000 BTU tranny cooler down a bit. The tranny never topped 180. If I move it down I might push it's temp up a bit but leave more clean air for the rest of the rad stack.

Thoughts?

Jim

2006 EB 6.0PSD Ujoint 6"
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #6

233F for EOT actually shouldn't be a problem for short durations, as long as you are running a quality oil (Delo, Rotella or the high-$ stuff). If it were actually a concern, the OEMs would install EOT gauges. As long as it's not chronically over ECT indicating a plugged oil cooler, which you probably already know about.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

This is an incredible setup. Congrats.
How does it compare to the Class C 4x4?
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #8

Thanks Poloturbo,

We really love the new set-up, the space is awesome. We live in our rig for three months at a time so the limited space in the c class and always driving the house was not perfect. But is anything???

We are in Fruita CO right now. The trailer is in a traditional campground and we've been mountain biking and driving all over the local BLM land. In our C class I was much more timid.

I'm sure most people think our set-up is overkill but I love it.

Jim
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Very cool and glad your enjoying it.
I really like the "base camp" awesome space and comfort and cool rig to go far overland. Best of both world.Got me thinking...
Great looking rig I love the color.

Nah not overkill just perfect
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #10

That's quite an awesome rig you got going! I have something similar but don't use it for the same purposes that you are doing. But now you got me thinking and I might just start doing what your doing and use it as a base camp!!