Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Towing Travel Trailer!

I bought a travel trailer 34 foot long in Baja.
I have a 91 GMC 3/4 Ton Van with 5.7 liter.
Can I get away pulling it to San Diego without the Electric Brake Controller in the Van?
If not is there a temporary way to make the brakes work on the TT until i have an Electric Brake Controller installed in San Diego?
The van has a Tiara Motorcoach Package and the tow package but i only see the 4 pin plug.

91 GMC Vandura, G2500, 5.7 Liter, Tiara Motor Coach Package, High-top, Aluminum wheels, Extra Leaf spring added to rear, New Alarm, Interior lights replaced with LED's, Still figuring out Electric on missing or non working items.
2. 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine, 2 Solar panels (220 Watts), 15" n 20" TV Flat Screens, LED strips added.
aztecaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Re: Towing Travel Trailer!

Trailer brakes make a huge difference. You need a brake controller to make them work because it applies the brakes based on how hard you're stopping- it has a level/momentum control in it.

I wouldn't ever take a TT in the mountains without trailer brakes. Across Kansas, maybe- but I'd go slower than everything and be super careful. I've towed vehicles on a dolly without brakes and it can get bad very fast.

Your best bet is to find someone locally to install, get one shipped from the states if you need to. Napa carries an inexpensive controller that's the only one I use- but you may have to tap into some wires on the 91, and run a harness so you have a 7-pin or whatever the trailer needs. Alternatively if you're not that far South, you might run the van up across the border, get something done and return for the trailer.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Where in Baja are you coming from and going to. There are some gnarly hills to get up and down.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Where in Baja are you coming from and going to. There are some gnarly hills to get up and down.
Estero Beach, Ensenada. I will look around here and try and find one. I will probably tap into the blue wire which is the brakes on the 7 pin of the TT then to the brake controller. I did order a 7 pin with 4 pin universal receptacle for the Van so when i get to SD I can have it all installed properly. I don't trust the installers here to work on my Van. That is why I wanted to rig it somehow just until I get to SD.
91 GMC Vandura, G2500, 5.7 Liter, Tiara Motor Coach Package, High-top, Aluminum wheels, Extra Leaf spring added to rear, New Alarm, Interior lights replaced with LED's, Still figuring out Electric on missing or non working items.
2. 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' 460 Engine, 2 Solar panels (220 Watts), 15" n 20" TV Flat Screens, LED strips added.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #5

Be careful! That's a lot of trailer, probably about the same weight as your van. You'll probably be fine if you are a little paranoid about it, but don't let your guard down. How far is this journey? I recommend coffee. Also, if you start getting tired hold the biggest bill you have on you out the window. A $100 works best. You can stay alert driving for weeks that way!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

It is about 85 miles to the border and another 10-15 miles to my destination. Not long but I will go very slow and leave early enough not to be driving in the dark.
It is a 2008 Jayco with 2 slide outs.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Be careful! That's a lot of trailer, probably about the same weight as your van. You'll probably be fine if you are a little paranoid about it, but don't let your guard down. How far is this journey? I recommend coffee. Also, if you start getting tired hold the biggest bill you have on you out the window. A $100 works best. You can stay alert driving for weeks that way!
Dry Weight, 7,475 lbs.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Site Team

Does your van have a spare harness connector under the dash, it could be your van is pre-wired to accept a controller. If you're that lucky, I would try to round up a brake controller in Ensenada, even a used one from somebody who's down there but doesn't happen to be towing,

Herb
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #9

Be going slow before you get to a down grade, I mean stupid slow, and keep it in low gear. Once you're going too fast is when you'll have a problem- what I remember about Mexico is going 3 wide both up and down double yellow line roads... not sure if that's how they do anymore, it's been a long time.

Another alternative would be to find someone with a big pickup or another van who is going up and have them move it for you- might be a better use of a $100 than letting it go out the window.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Another alternative would be to find someone with a big pickup or another van who is going up and have them move it for you- might be a better use of a $100 than letting it go out the window.
That is a much better idea than trying to pull a 7500# trailer w/o trailer brakes!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote