Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #1

Where is your brake controller (E350)?

Well I've got a 7-pin trailer plug but no brake controller. I've been scoping out the cab- think I'm going to install one myself this time so I can decide where it goes.

If you've got one, where is it? (Pics please) Where would you ideally place one?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller installed more or less directly in front of my right knee on the lower dash panel. Leave enough slack in your wires so you can remove the lower dash panel, and make sure whatever brake controller you go with can be mounted at that angle (nearly vertical). Not a whole lot of other places to mount one IMO, and still be able to reach the manual brake lever on it.

Herb

P.S. Can provide pics after I get my SMB back (probably 6 Aug due to SMB West schedules, and a business trip on my end).
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #3

Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller installed more or less directly in front of my right knee on the lower dash panel. Leave enough slack in your wires so you can remove the lower dash panel, and make sure whatever brake controller you go with can be mounted at that angle (nearly vertical). Not a whole lot of other places to mount one IMO, and still be able to reach the manual brake lever on it.
Herb
6.0L PSTD
Torqueshift
Voyager Roof
:q6:
kenkillsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Re: Where is your brake controller (E350)?

I am about to have one installed. Any pics from someone who already has it installed.
Skyhighsportsmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

I mounted mine in the center console under the cup holders. Works perfect for me and is out of the way. I will post pics when i return from out of town.

Paul
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Mine is where Herb's is. It's a great shin knocker when climbing into the driver's seat from inside the van.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Garage

X3 where Herbs is mounted. Great location! It's a Tekonsha Prodigy P3.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

I meant to snap a pic of mine today while my wife was driving. Here's the problem with having it either on the left or right side of that awkward lower panel Ford uses in the vans. When my wife drives, she puts the seat wayyyy forward. With the controller on either side her knees hit it. I had to mount my current one right in the middle under the steering wheel so she would drive! It works there fine, though, and I can reach it with either hand. She's 5'6", by the way, not really short, but I've seen other ladies drive Ford vans too and they seem to tend to put the seat up where their knees as almost touching that panel. Food for thought.

I also vote for the Tekonsha Prodigy (2 I think is what I have)

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #9

Here is the location I chose after pondering the install for a while. I think the DrawTite is the same as the Prodigy just different Badging. I'm very pleased with the location. It is never in the way and easy to get to . The wiries were the problem and I just ran them from the Dash over the engine cover into the back of the Console. I also have a 4 Plug power adapter I ran into the console and an IPOD cable from the stereo. I can't stand wires hanging all over the dash and this solved the problem. Each of the wired components has a quick disconnect behind the console so it is easily removed to access the engine. (the IPOD jus pulls through a hole). Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 11-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

I am totally stealing that 12-volt socket in-the-console idea! That's great I, too, hate the constant tangle of wires over the top of the console as I charge various devices. And I even have one of those 12-volt blocks like you do, just sitting new in the box.

I don't have much experience with Ford/dash type wiring projects - would you mind explaining where and how you connected that "block" to get power to it, and how you made it disconnectable for removing the console?

Thanks!
Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote