Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Pikes Peak off road Trailers

Came across these on my search, looks pretty nice and an alternative to adventure trailers.

http://www.pikespeaktrailers.com/

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Re: Pikes Peak off road Trailers

That is a nice looking little trailer. I like some of the details. Not too sure about the wooden body.

Price is right!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
REF

I agree, price is good but not sure about the wooden body, T&G planks, durability and security an issue. Plus they are not dust/water proof, but can be fitted with gaskets to help out in that department. They will be lighter than AT's all metal body. I plan on stopping by to check them out next trip down to Co Springs. They build to order, so one may be spec'd using sheet metal. Will post my finding. Group buy anyone......?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Hi Guys. My name is Dave Williams. I am the owner of Pikes Peak Trailers. I hope I don't get in trouble as I don't have a vendor tag but since I did not post the original post, I hope it's okay.

I was looking at my web logs a few hrs ago and noticed a spike in referrals from this site, so I checked it out and then created an account to make this post . Here are a few comments addressing the questions.

1. I build every trailer from the axle up, by hand. Anything can be modified and I love the creative design process. Most customizations will be at no cost unless it requires significant material costs or if it will take over an additional 5 or so hrs. In other words, I am all for each trailer being unique. I will never build these on jigs - I love designing solutions for how people will use them.

2. I can, for the same price, use steel diamond plate for the sides instead of wood. I know that some people are concerned about the wood sides. Shiny polished aluminum sides can be used but I would have to see how much more the cost would be.

3. The tongue-in-groove wood is water tight and dust tight. Each groove has a seat of sealant and all seams everywhere are sealed. My trailer has really been beat to death in many climates and I have never had any dust or water intrusion through the sides.

4. For the wood I like to use cedar for its weather resistance and it looks great using a wide array of stains.

5. I was in the market for an OHV trailer a while ago and was blown away by how expense they were, how most don't have lids, and that most places require you to do a bunch of configuration. I wanted to build a ready to roll option and I wanted it unique, hence teh wood sides and some of the other features. I really like some of the other vendors on the market but could not afford them.

6. The wood holds up very well and if there were every any issues with destroying a board, they would be easy to replace but I am open to using what every material the customer would like. If you bust a plank, or blow out a side through normal use, I will send replacement planks to you, or if I can get to you within a day's drive, come out and fix it. In fact, if you were to buy one with wood side and destroy, I would recommend exploring using metal or another material.

7. My prices are low as this is my secondary business. My passion is metal work and fabrication. I kept getting asked to sell the trailers when I take them on trails or drag them around town so I decided to open up a small business to do so.

Anyways, thanks so much for the interest. I was not aware of this site and will be sure to check it out. I hope I don't get in trouble with the admins and if I need to get a vendor account, I will be sure to do so.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post an email so I won't. Anyways, thanks again and I look forward to answering any and all questions.

Dave.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #5

P.S. Anyone is welcome to stop by my shop to chat, view a trailer, discuss your needs, or have a beer We are in Woodland Park, CO - about 30mins west of CO Springs.

Dave
Old 12-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
REF

Hey Dave, welcome to the Sportsmobile forum, we're (mostly) a friendly bunch! Thanks for your reply and trailer info, I have some of my dog jerky products made down in CO Springs, and would love to stop down and check out the shop. I am headed down sometime next week (13th), I'll let you know and I'll bring the rig.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #7

Ok Dave, you made a lot of potential friends when you said to drop by and have a beer!

Welcome aboard.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Hey Dave, welcome to the Sportsmobile forum, we're (mostly) a friendly bunch! Thanks for your reply and trailer info, I have some of my dog jerky products made down in CO Springs, and would love to stop down and check out the shop. I am headed down sometime next week (13th), I'll let you know and I'll bring the rig.
Rick - thank you very much. I will be on travel next week and back on Friday the 17th. I would love to hook up on Friday or over the weekend if that works for you. I can meet you in the Springs if you don't wish to drive up here. If this board has PMs, can you send me a private message and I will give you my email. Otherwise, can you go to our site and send a note to the email listed there?

Also, I will be finishing up a trailer tonight/tomorrow morning for a Fri pickup. It is looking pretty good and I will post some pics or at least let you know when it is complete and my wife can take some nice pics with her SLR.

One last thing, I am more than willing to help with design aspects, materials lists, etc for folks who want to build something on their own.

Dave.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #9

I think it is way cool to see how this forum can pull input from product experts. The consumer insights are far better when you get commentary from folks who actually make and use the product. Thanks Dave, for putting it under the microscope!
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #10

I don't even need a trailer (yet), but now I want one from Pikes Peak Trailers. Thanks for all of the information Dave, looks like you have a great product and attitude.