Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

WANTED: Ideas for carrying surfboards, bike, and SUP's

Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate category. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for how to carry a mountain bike, 2 surfboards, and 1 or 2 SUP's (standup paddle board) inside or outside of a vehicle in a way where everything is out of the elements and securely locked?

I plan traveling the US, Canada, and Mexico for an indefinite period of time so its essential that all this stuff is out of my way since the vehicle will be my home. I wish I could afford a Sportsmobile but I'll probably get a used a Class B or small Class C (21' max) motorhome instead.

A few ideas I have but I would really like to read yours...

- SURFBOARDS & SUP's: Build a large white low profile rectangular box for the roof that would house the boards. This box would shade the vehicles roof from the sun and will have solar panels installed on top of it.

- BIKE: Either put it in the over-the-cab area (if I get a Class C) or build a white locking box that would attach to the bumper hitch. I would probably loosen the handlebars before putting it in the box so they would be parallel to the bikes frame, thus be able to make the box fairly narrow.

Any suggestions or ideas based on what you've done, or seen, or what is rolling around in your head will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Steve

magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #2

Re: WANTED: Ideas for carrying surfboards, bike, and SUP's

Depending on the bike you have, you could add "S&S" couplers to it to allow it to be packed in a smaller area. Couplers allow you to separate the frame into two parts. Using them, you can get a full-size bike into a case that is 26x26x10 (but you do have to do a bit more disassembly for that). But you can easily just "break" the frame in half with the couplers and stash the bike otherwise fully built up.

Couplers can be added to most steel and titanium frames. See http://www.bilenky.com/hack.html

I have several bikes (well, five!) with S&S couplers and love the system.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Has anyone tried putting a hitch receiver on their front bumper and then using a Yakima/Thule bike rack?

I got a Swing Daddy and was contemplating that option, but have concerns it'll hinder visibility or be unsafe.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #4

I've seen many front mounted bike racks. I don't see an issue with them, they are light enough and you can see through the bikes.

My issue would be the accumulation of bugs and other debris on the bikes.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Guys, thanks for your input! I appreciate it. If I was doing a little trip then I'd have no problem putting my bike and boards on racks outside but I'm going to be traveling full-time so its important everything is stored inside something and locked. I wouldn't be able to use those SS couplings because its full-suspension, but dang, what a great idea for a conventional bike! (Had no idea anything like that existed.)

So I'm back to some kind of box for the SUP's and maybe for the bike too if I don't get a Class C with the overhead.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #6

If you don't have a van yet, why not design around your toys? Or shop around your toys (aisle layout) if you're going used.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
If you don't have a van yet, why not design around your toys? Or shop around your toys (aisle layout) if you're going used.
You nailed it because that is one of the main reasons I haven't bought anything yet. I'm considering buying a used box van so I can custom build my own rig (flat walls!) exactly the way I want.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Has anyone tried putting a hitch receiver on their front bumper and then using a Yakima/Thule bike rack?

I got a Swing Daddy and was contemplating that option, but have concerns it'll hinder visibility or be unsafe.
My SMB has a front receiver hitch and we've used a bike rack on it with no problems. But, I recently switched to a rear Thule swing-away type rack because I don't like driving rain, bugs, road crud, etc., into my expensive bikes at 65 MPH when they are on the front.

It was also a bit annoying to be looking at the bikes sticking up while driving, but now I worry about them falling off the back or backing into something with that extra 4 feet of stuff hanging back there. Oh, and now I have to move my (just installed) backup camera somewhere else, too. I guess I'll put it up near the third brake light like others have.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #9

Great tips everyone.

Going to pick up a hitch receiver from Aluminess this week to add to my front bumper. Will try the Swing Daddy in front with a couple of bikes.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave
Guys, thanks for your input! I appreciate it. If I was doing a little trip then I'd have no problem putting my bike and boards on racks outside but I'm going to be traveling full-time so its important everything is stored inside something and locked. I wouldn't be able to use those SS couplings because its full-suspension, but dang, what a great idea for a conventional bike! (Had no idea anything like that existed.)

So I'm back to some kind of box for the SUP's and maybe for the bike too if I don't get a Class C with the overhead.
Another idea for a class C, if you go that route, is one of those L shaped bike racks/hangers that goes way up on the rear ladder. Pretty out of reach for petty theives, but of course I realize that is relative. You could also put it up top and, if you were careful about clearances, it would be pretty hard to even see up there.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote