Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

1999 E450 Ambo conversion FOR SALE - $89,000

2013 4X4 EXPEDITION VEHCILE – This project started out as a 1999 Ford E450 Ambulance with the highly sought after 7.3 litre turbo diesel from FORD. It had been kept inside and had 95,000 miles on the odometer and had been professionally maintained by an Ambulance Company. If you’re serious about a high quality expedition vehicle and don’t have the $500,000+ to buy the one of your dreams --- this is an outstanding option for us mere mortals.

The 4x4 conversion was done by UJOINT OFF ROAD (http://www.ujointoffroad.com/) in Fletcher, North Carolina. Following is the work done on the drive train:
• 4x4 conversion – including Stage 2 Dana 60 Front axle and Dana 80 rear axle
• Custom 6” Suspension lift – heavy duty leaf springs front and rear with Air Bag assist on the rear
• On Board Air System for the bags and plumbed to air fitting front and rear.
• Aluminum Front Bumper
• 16.5K Warn winch
• Sway bars
• Electronic Ratio Adapter
• NV271 Transfer Case
• Transmission rebuild/4x4 Conversion
• Major upgrade on Tire and Wheels. Tires are G load rating and 19.5 wheels are built to take the weight.
• Bilstein shocks with reservoir front and rear
• Custom wheel spacers for rear track
Interior conversion was a major project. We left most of the cabinets in place that came with the ambulance and built around them for the most part. The beauty of starting with an ambulance is the quality of the build is incredible. They spare nothing to build a quality unit that’s more solid than any typical RV. The entire box is double wall aluminum and all cabinets on the inside are an integral part of the body. There’s virtually no flex or rattle at all. The outside storage compartments are huge and allow you take all the gear you need for a serious adventure. We had all systems installed professionally and everything works well when out in the rough or plugged in at RV park. Here’s the list
• Water System – 65 gallons in custom stainless steel tank with small grey water tank
• Propane system for stove and heater as well as plumbed to outside compartment for outdoor cooking
• Porta Potti
• Fold out shower in rear. Customer design – works great.
• Yamaha 3000 generator
• 3 HUGE Deka 8D batteries (this is in ADDITION to the two 1000 CCA batteries wired separate for engine start)
• 4000 watt inverter
• Sink and stove inside
• Instant hot water system
• Dinette / bed conversion with storage
• One IndelB 50 litre 12 v refrigerator
• One National Luna 74 litre refrigerator/ freezer – very low draw. This unit is used in Africa for safari. By far the best available.
• TWO shade awnings --- one on passenger side and one on back to cover the shower.
In addition – the fuel injection harness and fuel injectors have been gone through and replaced where needed. All computer sensors that tend to go bad have been replaced. This rig was prepared for a serious adventure through Mexico and Central America and now I have to return to New Zealand without getting to take this trip. I can’t tell you how bummed I am to have to sell this baby. I’ve been working on it for a year to get it ready and now I’m heading back down under before I realized my dream adventure. My loss is your gain. Only serious buyers please. MORE PICS IN GALLERY
Attached Thumbnails
EXTERIOR WEB LARGE.jpg   interior (10).JPG   third (720).JPG  

donrotundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: 1999 E450 Ambo conversion FOR SALE - $89,000

It would be nice to see some pictures of the inside.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

I think we saw you in Gonzaga Bay back in March... We were in one of the first Palapas at Alfonsia's.

Was this you also:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13130&start=0

And of course I'd love to see interior pics.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #4

Any thoughts on where that rear awning may have been sourced?
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvoudy
Any thoughts on where that rear awning may have been sourced?
It's a Fiamma.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
And of course I'd love to see interior pics
The Gallery has em. Pretty sweet!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
Quote:
And of course I'd love to see interior pics
The Gallery has em. Pretty sweet!
VERY nice. The indoor/outdoor shower is a great idea, but I'm totally in love with the fridge slide that slides to the outside of the van through the one hatch.

Herb
Old 05-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #8

I can vouch for Don spending some bucks on his toys... This is his last camping rig:

Complete with Snapon tools and two car lifts in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #9

How long is this vehicle and what kind of mpg do you get?

thanks,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrotundo
2013 4X4 EXPEDITION VEHCILE – This project started out as a 1999 Ford E450 Ambulance with the highly sought after 7.3 litre turbo diesel from FORD. It had been kept inside and had 95,000 miles on the odometer and had been professionally maintained by an Ambulance Company. If you’re serious about a high quality expedition vehicle and don’t have the $500,000+ to buy the one of your dreams --- this is an outstanding option for us mere mortals.

The 4x4 conversion was done by UJOINT OFF ROAD (http://www.ujointoffroad.com/) in Fletcher, North Carolina. Following is the work done on the drive train:
• 4x4 conversion – including Stage 2 Dana 60 Front axle and Dana 80 rear axle
• Custom 6” Suspension lift – heavy duty leaf springs front and rear with Air Bag assist on the rear
• On Board Air System for the bags and plumbed to air fitting front and rear.
• Aluminum Front Bumper
• 16.5K Warn winch
• Sway bars
• Electronic Ratio Adapter
• NV271 Transfer Case
• Transmission rebuild/4x4 Conversion
• Major upgrade on Tire and Wheels. Tires are G load rating and 19.5 wheels are built to take the weight.
• Bilstein shocks with reservoir front and rear
• Custom wheel spacers for rear track
Interior conversion was a major project. We left most of the cabinets in place that came with the ambulance and built around them for the most part. The beauty of starting with an ambulance is the quality of the build is incredible. They spare nothing to build a quality unit that’s more solid than any typical RV. The entire box is double wall aluminum and all cabinets on the inside are an integral part of the body. There’s virtually no flex or rattle at all. The outside storage compartments are huge and allow you take all the gear you need for a serious adventure. We had all systems installed professionally and everything works well when out in the rough or plugged in at RV park. Here’s the list
• Water System – 65 gallons in custom stainless steel tank with small grey water tank
• Propane system for stove and heater as well as plumbed to outside compartment for outdoor cooking
• Porta Potti
• Fold out shower in rear. Customer design – works great.
• Yamaha 3000 generator
• 3 HUGE Deka 8D batteries (this is in ADDITION to the two 1000 CCA batteries wired separate for engine start)
• 4000 watt inverter
• Sink and stove inside
• Instant hot water system
• Dinette / bed conversion with storage
• One IndelB 50 litre 12 v refrigerator
• One National Luna 74 litre refrigerator/ freezer – very low draw. This unit is used in Africa for safari. By far the best available.
• TWO shade awnings --- one on passenger side and one on back to cover the shower.
In addition – the fuel injection harness and fuel injectors have been gone through and replaced where needed. All computer sensors that tend to go bad have been replaced. This rig was prepared for a serious adventure through Mexico and Central America and now I have to return to New Zealand without getting to take this trip. I can’t tell you how bummed I am to have to sell this baby. I’ve been working on it for a year to get it ready and now I’m heading back down under before I realized my dream adventure. My loss is your gain. Only serious buyers please.
docmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team

The OP only has the one and only post, so if you want to reach him I would suggest a PM or e-mail. Not sure how often he's checking this thread.

Herb