Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Roll up table

I actually made the first proto of my roll up table and it worked wonderfully. I took it camping and set up our coffee station on it. Just like other roll up tables it won't hold 200lbs of stuff but plates, dinner, lunch and what not it would do wonderfully. I actually thought about putting my 50lb five year old on the top just for a photo shoot..... Here are two pictures of the first. I am going to be offering these for sale and thought I would just get some feedback.
This was my inspiration originally as my folks have several,

http://www.rei.com/product/378009/camp- ... ll-a-table

Than I found something similar to what I was imagining,
http://blueridgechair.com/furniture/roll-top-table

and this is what I came up with,
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 8051_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3904_n.jpg

I was really happy with the weight and how it all came together. It unrolls really nicely, screws together with four simple bolts and you have a table! I think future versions of the table will have just slightly larger legs for support reasons. This table was made of ash as it's weather resistant and nice to work with. However I think my next will be made out of Sapele which is a species of mahogany. A little harder on the tools but has some great properties that I think would lend it nicely to these tables.
My tables come fully assembled and ready to unroll. No work required. They are not finished, left natural. However I am up to finishing with food grade oil, maybe tung, etc. I don't think because of their use finishing in a poly or similar is going to be a good choice as it will look poor after a few years. oil on the other hand can just be applied when ever.

bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #2

Re: Roll up table

I'm interested... looking at new tables now.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

I am still up in the air on pricing so some feedback would be appreciated. I was guessing somewhere around $98-119 was my target. Something in theory that should last you many many years and be made of a renewable resource. American made, natural, easy to use, pleasure to look at when camping/rv/boating, etc
Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam
$98-119
Sounds reasonable.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Looks very nice, but is there something to stop it from racking if it's bumped from the side? Can you provide a detail pic of the table/leg connection?

Thanks,
Brent
Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

I'll provide more pictures of the assembly and brakedown process as well as the hardware. I am more in development stage and just thought I would share and get feedback. I will for sure contact Jage for a vendors tag if I produce these in any number.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

In for one. Here is another to get ideas from. http://www.filson.com/products/chelan-f ... duct=cc15/
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

At a expo event I won the Timbo tusk tables and like them but they are heavy and kinda cumbersome to get in and out. I pulled the bass pro shop one I had just purchased before winning the other and it now is in full use. Like yours its the right size easy to pack and simple.

I'd buy a nice wood version for $100

this is it
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-R ... LL_PRODUCT

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #9

A couple suggestions that might make it easier for the user:

1) drill the bottoms of the outside slats on the table-top with a blind-hole and glue a nut in them instead of drilling a thru hole. Then get some all-thread and drill the table legs and glue the all-thread into the legs. Then when you put it together you don't have to find the bolts, just stick the legs through the cross-slat and screw into the nut on the bottom side of the table-top. This saves lost hardware and frustration for the owner of the table.

2) As vwteleman suggested, bumping the table will cause the slats to rack to one direction. Drill and install 1-2 short wood dowels into the cross-slats, and then drill the same matching slats on the table-top. That way if bumped only 3-4 slats would slide sideways (and not by much) rather than the entire table-top.

Just a couple suggestions. Looks like a really nice table. Will be interested if you start making them, good tables are always nice to have.
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

I am away from my computer for about a week but will be returning back to this thread and adding more pictures as well as looking for new hardware. All great suggestions! This has been a very rewarding project and I am continuing to fine tune it. As well I am in the process of designing a canoe/luggage trailer/camping trailer. I was thinking it sure would be nice to have something small and versitle to put the "stuff" into as well a small boat, canoe, kayak and it got me looking at solutions online. Wow, some of those small trailers are $3-4k a piece and I thought to myself, "I could do that and probably lighter and just as functional." So that's in the near future too. I am going to build it out of marine ply encapsulated in epoxy and fiberglass. Think if it's in a flood it will probably float (maybe)...