Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #1

WTB: Chateau bed seat or something similar

Hi I bought a 2003 ford chateau quadvan last week and now I am in need of a rear seat that converts to a bed. I am located in the Portland OR area. Any help locating one would be great as I am on the clock to camperize it my wife says since I'm selling our westfalia's.

Thanks a ton!

Ryan

Vantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #2

Re: WTB: Chateau bed seat or something similar

I had a Chateau for awhile and found that factory rear bench/bed contraption to be totally uncomfortable. Just FYI, you might want to find something aftermarket or at least lay down on one first before you spend a lot of time searching for something that doesn't work for you. In my area, there are always cheap old Ford conversion vans for sale on CL. If you could find one that's not too funky to lie down in, you could test the bed. Keep a look out for the rear pop out windows in those older conversion vans too, 92-95.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:03 PM   #3

Good to know! Have any of you used that discountvantruck.com place? I see they sell some but I'm not sure on the fit or quality.

Thanks Ryan
Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

Garage

I agree with the factory sofa bed being bad. We had a 1992 Club Wagon and the rear bench, while great for sitting, sucked the big one for sleeping. Plus the way it stowed required removing all the rear luggage to fold out the bed.

I recommend talking to Van Specialties in Tualatin. They sell aftermarket automotive type seating, and build RV type beds if sleeping is more important.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

I called them and they quoted me like 2850 for a back seat bed. Does that seam abit much? It was non power fabric and came with a extension at the back.

Thanks Ryan
Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantastic
I called them and they quoted me like 2850 for a back seat bed. Does that seam abit much? It was non power fabric and came with a extension at the back.

Thanks Ryan
Which place, Van Specialties? If so, keep in mind that it may be pricey but VS doesn't sell junk! I would try DiscountVanTruck. Lots of us have their seat swivels and the quality is good, but the customer service and shipping time is bad, so keep that in mind.

There are a couple other seating companies that people have linked before but I can't remember names. Have you tried searching in the homebuild section?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #7

Garage

i see a lot of those older conversion vans at our local pick and pull yards. ive laid down on a few of them checking them out, but none of them were long enough to sleep on front to back for me and im too tall for side to side sleeping.

not sure about your area, but the vans at our yards dont get picked apart at near the rate the civics and toyota trucks do, so it might be worth the trip to a salvage yard and see what you can find. like scotty said, be on the lookout for other rare van scores like popout windows, conversion van windows, larger swaybars, limited slips, etc. list goes on and on. ive even found really cool crap like a 7x7 awning and only got charged 20 or so bucks for it. that same campervan had a good 30' of piano hinge in it too that they sold me for 5 bucks. cant go wrong at salvage yards
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

^+1

I found my sofa/bed ($30), and all for 4 pop out windows ($20ea) at the junkyard. I use row52.com as they supply pics, and can setup email alerts, so I don't waste my time with a bunch of cargo vans as pick-n-pull doesn't list as many details on their site.
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantastic

Thanks Ryan
Yes it does. I think that is the installed price and probably includes seat belts, as well as custom size and location. We paid that and are happy, because we wanted good quality, new, color-coordinated, and comfortable to sleep on.