Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

WTB Strong 4x4 Van for Buildout

Hello, I'm a noob. I've been lurking a few days and doing a fair amount of research on Sportsmobiles.

My other half and I are thinking that we'd like to try a custom built out ourselves. I'm looking for a good base van.

I'm looking for something that will perform well off road in particular. To that end, I'd rather find something with a shorter wheel base. Obviously 4x4 is a must. I would be stoked to find something with lockers and bumpers.

I'd love a diesel. There's a Ford 7L Diesel with Quigley 4x4 Sportsmobile just south of me in Denver. I really wish it was just the van and half the price.

High mileage is fine so long as the machine is mechanically solid. Exterior damage is also fine, it doesn't need to look new.

I can be reached via email at @gmail.com with my forum handle in front.

I'm thank'n ya.

Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #2

Re: WTB Strong 4x4 Van for Buildout

If you didn't lie about your email, you can also be reached through the email button without revealing your address.

Incidentially, the Ford vans all have the same wheelbase and despite that I would argue that a longer wheelbase is better offroad. You may be thinking about the clearance, since the wheels are in the same place the rear overhangs more in the EB.

Even so I wouldn't let that stop you, if you find a good EB van at your price, don't pass it up for an RB. Nobody I've seen crabbing about how they wish they had gone RB... I'm biased of course because I went EB even though I was dead-set on an RB at the beginning.

Good luck, we've seen lots of droolworthy builds in the Homemade / Ground Up section!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #3

@jage - Yup... I just found out earlier today that the wheel base is exactly the same. I'm still keen on the improved departure angle, but it's less of an issue now. My concern about wheel base was related to both turning radius and not wanting to go high center.

Thanks for the info (and the emailing through the forum option). This will be my first van purchase so it's all new ground for me.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

Zaskoda

All about vans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E-Series
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #5

Try giving http://www.quadvan.com a call. They often have used vans on trade coming through (but not an inventory since they sell almost immediately). Website is not updated often, so calling is best.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

Still for sale and Priced droped...

I have a 1987 Ford E250 Van for sale. It has Fords 300 Inline 6 cylinder EFI engine that was rebuilt several years ago that runs like a top. It has a C-6 tranny with a heavy duty (hard shifting) shift kit with no problems. It also has a P 205 transfer case and 4:11 gears. It has a Dana 44 front axle with warn locking hubs and a Dana 60 rear posi axle. There are no issues with any of the suspension or running gear and all components were checked about two years ago when the 4:11 gears and new shocks were installed. It has 33 X 12.50 tires and 16.5 X 10 or 10.50 wheels (can't remember how wide the wheels are?) with 8 lugs. The tires have only about 600-700 miles on them. The van also has a towing hitch in the stock Ford bumper. The van is pretty much stripped on the inside except for a headliner, two front seats and two removeable rear bench seats (all with seat belts). This was an old fed ex van and was converted to 4 wheel drive in 1987 for Fed Ex by Transaxle of Colorado Inc. Trailmaster All Wheel Drive. Of which I have the original Altered Vehicle Certification Build Sheet. The 4 X 4 "system" is very good. I had intended on converting the van into a camping vehicle so changed out all the solid rear doors to doors with windows and installed a tinted original Ford flip out passenger window just behind the drivers side door. From the outside the window looks stock, from the inside you can see where the weld is. There were rust spots (some inside & some outside). I have kept them pretty much at bay and figured on refurbishing them with the overall project.
Attached Thumbnails
van 1.jpeg  
n8ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #7

Another place you might look is Quigley's used vehicle pages:

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/Ford ... fault.aspx

http://www.quigley4x4.com/Products/GMPr ... fault.aspx
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

@n8ludiwg - I actually emailed you about that van a little while back. I love it and it would be *perfect* aside from the inline 6. If I was in a flat area near sea level, I would be less worried about it. But up here in the mountains, I'm afraid it would be an issue. =(
Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

i live at 6200ft no problems here...what is the altitude where you live?
n8ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

I'm in Boulder, 5750 ft. I'll typically be driving up to places like A-Basin, 10,780 ft. It's the hard climbs that concern me, you do much driving in the mountains?