Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

SMB rental

Almost hate to post this, but need advice/opinions. We want to rent a SMB with penthouse roof, just a simply 2x. You see we are tossed between a SMB or a Pleasure-Way Traverse. A couple people have told us that the PW Traverse is the way to go for resale, cause they hold their value more. Anyway, we would like to rent a SMB, cause, first of all I/we have never seen one in person.

thanks

garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: SMB rental

Here are some other topics regarding SMB Rentals:
Topic 1
Topic 2
Topic 3

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

Depending on where you are, someone might be around to play show and tell. Renting however... well, AFIK it's a long shot at best.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm sure there are a bunch of Sportsmobilers who would be happy to show you their rig. Renting it is a whole different concept. Most of us have invested a lot in our rig and treat them like our babies. I know I wouldn't rent my baby out. But I'd be more than happy to show and tell you everything you need to see and know. It would help if you told us where you live.

P.S.: I just looked at some Traverse vehicles. It looks similar to a Sportsmobile, only with half a penthouse. And if you want to see how Sportsmobiles maintain their resale value look at the used classified section of www.Sportsmobile.com. When I bought my 2002 Ford E-250 Sportsmobile I was one of three people who high-tailed it to San Diego from as afar away as Texas to grab it. I got there first!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #5

We live in St Louis, MO. Been in MO for almost 60 years, with jaunts to several other states and have yet to see a SMB up close and in person. Van City (a Van/B dealer) near us carries the Transverse so we have seen them.
garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #6

I go through there on my way to and from Indy, however no trips scheduled anytime soon.

Depending on the amount you're spending, taking a trip to Fresno, Huntington or Austin or taking the time to travel to a used van you're interested in might be worth the investment.

However if you like the Pleasureway and are buying new, access to the dealer for warranty issues is something to consider. Just judging from photos, the Traverse interior is more refined than my SMB, however I've never seen one in person.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #7

Being close to the dealer on a new vehicle is big. There are quite few issues (big and small) that will arise and it can be a problem if you have to drive all day to get to the dealer.

I'm 1200 miles away from SMB Fresno and each time I have an issue, I try to figure out if the problem is worth 2400 miles of driving to get fixed:-) If I go to a local place, they are unfamiliar with the van and it's difficult to find a reliable service shop for items such as the airtronic and the triplite.

Personally, if I felt I had two similar vendors and would be equally happy with either one; I'd go with the one that had better (or local) service.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #8

If you were just looking for a 2wd and didn't mind the EB, there seem to be a few very reasonably priced older rigs (especially Dodges for some reason) out there that seem to be in good condition. For the price of 'renting', you could probably find one of these and use it for a while and simply sell it for a little less than you bought it easily enough. Of course you'd have to roll the dice with something going wrong and having to put money into it but it may be a good way to go. Heck, if you kept it for six months and sold in the spring (when the market is likely better) you could probably make your money back AND have a way better idea of what amenities and layouts would work best for you.

I suggest this because I am thinking of doing the same thing myself while waiting for the right rig and/or increased budget to get what I'm looking for. You'll might have to be willing to make a trip on a whim half way across the country - but that's what you're getting a rig for anyway, right?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #9

I have looked at some other models, but what always brings me back to an SMB is the four wheel drive/high clearance. I like to get away from it all and won't always be on pavement.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #10

***NEWS FLASH***

On the Sportsmobile website it states:

Camper Van North America rents Sportsmobile Sprinters and Sportsmobile Ford Transit Connects. It's a great way to try before you buy your own custom camper van designed "just the way you like it."

Camper Van North America http://www.campervannorthamerica.com

http://www.sportsmobile.com/5_links.html
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote