Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Chinook 4x4 Sighting

Nice looking rig in Utah today:

It has front leaf springs btw.

Neat rig, too big for me though.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #2

Re: Chinook Sighting

I like it. Did the dog say how much he might sell it for? I was thinking maybe for some T-bones or a couple hundred pounds of bacon maybe it could be mine? Or I could line him up with a foxy bitch?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #3

I have been having chinook lust as of late. I have a 2x high top sporty but my mind keeps telling me why not have a bit more space and dedicated inside shower. In MI it is highway for a few hours then some dirt road so a chinook would be just fine.
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu
I have been having chinook lust as of late. I have a 2x high top sporty but my mind keeps telling me why not have a bit more space and dedicated inside shower. In MI it is highway for a few hours then some dirt road so a chinook would be just fine.
I agree. I badly want a real shower in my van, but the Chinook shower is pretty tiny. It's kind of a letdown considering how nice they are otherwise. I still want one though.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #5

Re: Chinook 4x4 Sighting

That's a Baja, right?

here's more info than you'll ever need:http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/d...k#.Uvu963nCaCg

Sort of an interesting story; ran into it while researching a used Baja a while back. Quigley did some of their 4x4s. It was a viable SMB alternative when I bought my SMB. I didn't realize, until I revisited the site above, that the name had been purchased in 2013 and they may go into production on the Transit platform. Interesting. But I haven't seen anything new, so maybe it's just BS.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
That's a Baja, right?

here's more info than you'll ever need:http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/d...k#.Uvu963nCaCg

Sort of an interesting story; ran into it while researching a used Baja a while back. Quigley did some of their 4x4s. It was a viable SMB alternative when I bought my SMB. I didn't realize, until I revisited the site above, that the name had been purchased in 2013 and they may go into production on the Transit platform. Interesting. But I haven't seen anything new, so maybe it's just BS.
Nope, that's not a Baja, it's a Concourse that has been converted. Baja's look quite a bit different (mostly paint and accessories) and cost twice as much, but they are factory 4x4.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

Such cool rigs. We have a customer in CT that converted his last year using our kit.

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #8

Wow, very nice.

How does that body (fiberglass?) stand up to offroad pounding, I wonder. It seems to me that the Achilles heel of so many RVs used offroad isn't traction, getting stuck, etc, it's getting shaken to pieces on washboard. Might be that I spend lots of time in western deserts, and YMMV, but I'm always concerned with that. It's been amazing to me how the body of my SMB has stood up that. I saw a camper literally splitting at seams once near Saline Valley.

Like the duallies too.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #9

I looked into the chinook fairly recently and was quite impressed. Only downside for me is that the chinook seemed perfect for two people, more elbow room than the SMB and a shower. For me, i was looking for more room for our growing family, so more sleeping areas was important. So i went in another but similar direction.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Dia

This was Chinook's downfall for me, too. Perfect of one or two, not so great for three or more, esp. if some of those are six-footers. This is why the PH sold me on a Sporty, though.