Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Site Team

Looking for campground recomendations along 395

Well, after spending countless hours planning Summer reservations in Yosemite, I had no luck getting a reservation when the current block of reservations opened up earlier this morning. Had everything prepped on the site, had done my research of campgrounds and campsites, was ready at exactly 7:00am pst, and got nothing. Knew it would be tough, but I thought I had a decent chance. Seems like a lot of the campsites within a number of campgrounds are closed without any plans to open them.

So, instead of starting my annual two week Summer trip with my son out of Yosemite, I'm looking for another spot to start. The initial plan was 4 nights in Yosemite, then cross over to 395 and go to Oregon to do some digging for obsidian and sunstones. The 395 to Oregon part of out trip is still good, so now I'm just looking for a campground along the 395 corridor to spend 3-4 nights.

Looking for:
- developed campground
- beyond Mammoth Lakes area
- able to make reservations
- accommodate a trailer

I did find this website which breaks down a lot of areas, including the campgrounds in the area. Very helpful, but hoping for some firsthand recommendations.

http://www.davessierrafishing.com/mapsh ... ierra.html

Herb

Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Re: Looking for campground recomendations along 395

You need the Ultimate Public Campground Project app (semi kidding, but it is helpful for this since a Google Maps search can be frustrating). And sometimes not all campsites within a campground are reservable; some USFS sites on the coast hold a few for first-com first-served.

By "beyond" Mammoth, I assume north? And I'm not sure what your priorities are, or if you are gonna be in just one spot for all 4 days then on to OR.

Things near 395 thin out considerably after the junction with 108 all the way north. Your best selection is from just a bit north of Mammoth.

There are several near June Lakes, many reservable. I've liked Oh Ridge and Silver Lake OK. There are a whole bunch along 120 just west of 395 in the canyon leading up to Tioga, but I don't think they're reservable. Not the nicest campgrounds per se, but they do give access to Mono Lake, hiking, Tioga Pass itself, etc.

Virginia Lakes has some reservable sites. Rather small IIRC, but I've seen some trailers up there. Same deal with Twin Lakes out of Bridgeport. Also nice, but pretty popular in the summer.

North of there it starts to thin out. I like Leavitt Meadows, but you can't get reservations and a big trailer would be tight. Right on the Carson.

Consider some of the private campgrounds as well. Virginia Creek Settlement, for example, is popular with my fishing friends. Good spot if you're visiting Bodie. Food and showers too.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks Rob.

Yep, should have mentioned that I'm coming from the south, and want to get 'beyond' Mammoth just to get some miles under our belt our first day, and to get to somewhat cooler June temperatures. Trailer is my teardrop at about 13' long.

Herb
Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Is Bishop too far South for you? Several in that area... Inyo National Forest; Lake Sabrina etc.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Pat,

I am hoping to be further north than Bishop, both to make our first stop farther from home, and to gain more elevation so it will be cooler during the day and at night.

I like the June Lake area, but it can get really crowded in Summer.

Herb
Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Pat,

I am hoping to be further north than Bishop, both to make our first stop farther from home, and to gain more elevation so it will be cooler during the day and at night.

I like the June Lake area, but it can get really crowded in Summer.

Herb
Herb,
One of my all time favorite campgrounds is the green creek area. The turnoff is off 395 about 5-6 miles south of Bridgeport.

The drive in is about 8-9 miles (best guess), and there is a USFS campground at the very end of the road. Very nice area with a lot of tree coverage and relatively small. Only about 10-12 sites and I don't think that trailers or RVs are allowed, or they just cannot fit. In addition, to the USFS campground, there is good dispersed camping all along green creek for several miles south of the USFS campground.

The fishing, hiking and scenery in this area is excellent.

I don't know if reservations are accepted. Best guess is no. The road in has lots of washboard, but this is a good yahoo filter too.

All that said, this and many other areas are going to be a dull brown come summer due to the drought. Fishing will likely be poor. But this applies to anything on the 395 corridor.

In the same area and with easier access is buckeye creek campground.

I like them both, but green creek is more remote.

Good luck

Rob
Old 02-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

Ah, if it's just miles than maybe Mammoth itself? Lots of choices and since you have a few days I'd see whether you could get into one of the campsites in Devil's Postpile itself. I snagged one midweek right on the river; it's great, especially if you fish. Or even swim. If you strike out, there's always something just immediately north of Mammoth itself. At the Crestview maintenance station there's a huge campground called Glass Creek; it's used mostly by full-timers and is $5 suggested. It always has space, and is good for a base of operations for a couple of days. Or if you're just driving on it's great cuz it's right next to the road (but quite quiet, surprisingly).

And Rock Creek out of Tom's Place just a few miles short of Mammoth is very nice, and you can get very high. Rock Creek Lake (and I think a couple of others) are reserveable. Some of the best hiking on the east side, and you can walk to the resort for pie.

Rob
Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Appreciate the info Rob.

Just looked up the info on the website I linked in the first post, and here's what it showed (no idea if it's current or not). I'd rather not have to worry about reservations, but taking along an 8 year old and a trailer doesn't make me want to hunt around for a vacant site, especially after along day.

11 family camping sites
2 group camping sites
Piped water
vault toilets
$17
Takes group site reservations only

May be worthwhile for me to give the local Ranger a call and see what they think.

Herb
Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Appreciate the info Rob.

Just looked up the info on the website I linked in the first post, and here's what it showed (no idea if it's current or not). I'd rather not have to worry about reservations, but taking along an 8 year old and a trailer doesn't make me want to hunt around for a vacant site, especially after along day.

11 family camping sites
2 group camping sites
Piped water
vault toilets
$17
Takes group site reservations only

May be worthwhile for me to give the local Ranger a call and see what they think.

Herb

I try and get up there once a year and can find a spot n the USFS campground about half the time. We usually go in July.

The dispersed camping is very good and many of those spots can fit a trailer.

Good luck with the search.

R
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #10

Silver lake in the June lake loop is really nice. If you take a bike for the 8 year old the campground has nice flat roads. Virginia lakes May still be snowed in in June.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote