Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

San Diego Camping

OK, I just started a new project in San Diego, right near the 5/805 split........off of Mira Mesa.

I live in south orange county, and the commute is 70 miles each way (what was I thinking?).

I've had two other projects in the same area, but both of them were much more coaster friendly which makes the commute bearable. This one is about 3 miles from the Sorrento Valley Coaster station all uphill in the AM and downhill in the PM (for riding a bike). I'll probably end up doing the train/bike a couple days per week and camping in the van a couple days per week.

So, now I'm thinking it would be great to stay a night or two in the van down there during the week.

So far, all I've found close by is San Elijo state park but sites are $55/night and require advance reservations!

I'm sure you San Diego locals have a few suggestions.........I can probably stealth camp in the parking lot where I'm working but that leads to mental anguish pretty quick.

A cheap not-on-the-beach campground would be great that is close by, or other locations to stealth camp.

Any suggestions are appreciated......

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

Re: San Diego Camping

This place is close but probably not much cheaper,

http://www.campland.com/

Right next door is http://www.missionbayrvresort.com/park-map.html
Same price range

Mission Bay Park regulations specifically state no over night camping in the parking lots but so many people do it. I'm not sure how much it is enforced.

If you are self contained look Silver Strand State Beach also if you want to splurge once or twice.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #3

Thanks PatO!
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

There is also South Carlsbad State Beach which is similar to San Elijo. In both cases they have $35 sites as well. That being said, reservations are tough to come by.

None of the other camping options in the area are what I would consider nice, in other words they are basically RV parking lots. However, the Campland and Mission Bay resorts are both in a great location.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #5

If i remember San Elijo has at least a few spots that they keep open until 7pm and if not spoken for go to anyone who has inquired earlier. Try Bull Taco, inside the camp. Great food. Great surf. Hots showers.
GoProCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Try these two, although I've never stayed there...

https://www.mtrp.org/directions.asp?idno=21
Mission Trails regional park. I remember hearing they opened a campsite a few years ago. By the 8/15

http://Www.santeelakes.com
Kinda east county, but just a few miles on the 52 from the 805.

And there's always the Walmart parking lot.

Btw... I'm right by San Elijo, let me know if you come up.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

Commuting would be a bear from the above 2 suggestions if after 7:30 AM.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

The county of San Diego has some nice campgrounds: http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/parks/Camping/info.html. We recently stayed at Sweetwater Summit near south San Diego & Guajome Lake near Oceanside reasonably priced and with free hot showers as part of the campground fee.
Janna & Jeff
JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Commuting would be a bear from the above 2 suggestions if after 7:30 AM.
Couldn't be any worse than my present morning commute from OC to Sorrento Valley......

it's all relative......

Thanks everyone, I'll look into all of these. I'm not looking for nice, just reasonable since this will probably be a few nights per week. Hopefully a few notches better than behind the building at work or Wally World.
2003 Honda Element
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Couldn't be any worse than my present morning commute from OC to Sorrento Valley......

it's all relative......
Any commute into and out of Sorrento Valley is terrible, no matter where you are coming from. I worked there for too many years and I've sworn I will never go back.