Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

Local riders vs BLM in Utah (news)

Came up in my news feed

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... h/8947413/

Old 05-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Re: Local riders vs BLM in Utah (news)

In the Deep South, most of our "gubmint lan" is NFS. Over the last decade, pipegates have gone up at every trail. The rangers play on their iphones while eating cheap fried chicken from convenience stores, sitting in $50k pickups... something don't seem just right
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Mixed feelings about this one. On one hand, the Federal Government owns way too much land in the West, and much of it is heavily restricted all while not being put to any use. On the other hand, many ATV riders will go around obstacles and water crossings that are too large for their vehicles, showing no respect for the land. Of course, no matter what the mode of transportation (ATVs, 4x4s, mountain bikes, hikers) it's the minority that gives many a bad image.

Herb
Old 05-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
In the Deep South, most of our "gubmint lan" is NFS. Over the last decade, pipegates have gone up at every trail. The rangers play on their iphones while eating cheap fried chicken from convenience stores, sitting in $50k pickups... something don't seem just right
I don't have any idea what you're trying to say. What's wrong? You have a $100K vehicle, probably eat chicken and use cell phones. Many forum members do.

Herb, this is such a classic conflict, that trying to address any party's involved without them becoming stereotypes is impossible. The thing about 'stereotypes' is that they are true, and we just needed a word to use for politically correct behavior.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #5

First off for "twogone"...I grew up one state over and I agree about those pipe gates. I believe that hunting clubs now control leases other than timber on those lands and that's the purpose of the gates. The eastern US has a different way of managing "our" land. I don't think we want to see this happen in the west. If it's a closed trail/road, just stay off of it. I hike many trails in SE Utah where the ATV crowd just drives around destroyed barriers. Are they trying to prove a point or are they just destructive? What was solved last weekend? Who knows??? And "BroncoHauler", I might disagree with you on regulations. Maybe in CA the public lands are heavily regulated but certainly not in the Intermountain West. I can stop anywhere I want on these public lands (except those leased by energy companies) and camp without a fee. In the 37 years I've lived in this part of the country, I've really grown to appreciate that part of our federal lands. It will only take a small minority to screw it all up for everyone. I don't mind being a stereotype. Once you're in your 60's your at least allowed to be ornery : - )
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

What he said.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepeak
I believe that hunting clubs now control leases other than timber on those lands and that's the purpose of the gates.
This is true in Colorado, and it's probably the one land use issue that really makes me really rage because they pipe off public access to parts of the national forest, and while I can no longer use those roads the "guide service" still does, and the forest service maintains them with my money. These are legal roads that could be legally traveled up until a group had them closed for exclusive use by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I don't have any idea what you're trying to say. What's wrong? You have a $100K vehicle, probably eat chicken and use cell phones. Many forum members do.
Yeah, but he's not getting paid to be a forest ranger while doing it.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #8

I grew up camping along rivers and creeks in Western Washington. We never stayed in organized campground and my first experience with one was when I was in college and went to party at Lake Chelan with friends. Each year more and more roads gated, blocked with boulders or trenches by the forest service. This is especially true for roads that access lakes or rivers and lakes. The cynical side of thinks this is the governments way of herding us into organized campgrounds where they can collect fees from use. For me I can park in my driveway and be farther from people than at an organized campground.

The realist in me understands that some people are pigs and leave campsites in horrible condition. I typically spend the first couple of hours at a campsite cleaning up beer bottles, broken glass, shell casings and other trash. Then there is the feces and toilet paper left sitting on the surface of the soil which can be found at just about every boondock campsite in Washington. At the place we camped last weekend someone had taken a hatched and chopped away at two sides of a large living Douglas Fir. (I would love to take a couple of whacks at the person who did this). It is no wonder the ecologist want to prevent the public from camping on public land.

It is sad to think that someday we may no longer be able to access sites like this.

The legality of the site is questionable as the road had been blocked by boulders however it appears someone had possibly moved a boulder and cut a small tree to create a new access. The access was tight, with mirrors folded in we only had inches to spare and a spotter was needed to navigate the trail due to logs and trees. I am happy to share the location with anyone on the forum. Just PM or email me and I will let you know how to find it.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

I've found that as the forest service paves roads in the backcountry that trash has became more of a problem.
In the past, nobody except those with a rugged vehicle were able to get in to the remote areas. Not so now
and it's a shame. The last thing I saw a month or so ago was trees fell by the FS and hog wire stapled to keep
chainsaws from cutting a path in. I'm not happy on how many spots are being closed. Many of the spots being closed in CA don't have anything to do with trash. I'm glad I grew up when I did. Many spots I've camped at since the 70's are now closed and it's continuing each year. Will it ever stop?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote