Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Garage
Runaway Diesel

For those of you who don't know....

[youtube:64ywxl3r]

Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Runaway Diesel

thats somewhat unnerving...whats the cause of this, or is it different in each situation?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
thats somewhat unnerving...whats the cause of this, or is it different in each situation?
All it takes a failed oil seal in the turbo. Since there's no throttle control for oil pressure, it simply feeds oil into the motor until it runs out or the motor blow apart. Hot motor oil is thin enough to burn almost like diesel, just smokier.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

Here's a UPS truck:
[youtube:1k2f2cyg]

There is no way I'd stick my hand anywhere near a spinning turbo that:
[youtube:1k2f2cyg]
Old 06-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Here's a UPS truck:
lol, wonder if he got hs package delivered on time?

i assume disconnecting the battery wouldnt have done anything, correct? once it has a fuel source its gonna go till theres either no fuel or air right? well other than the comeaparts of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
There is no way I'd stick my hand anywhere near a spinning turbo that:
ya, dunno if id be interested in that either, but at least he knew what to do. seems like a plunger would have been handy in that situation

figured there would be more discussion on this, but apparently im the only one who this is news to, lol. thanks for posting tapatio and the info carringb. im a diesel rookie, so i appreciate the knowledge
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #6

Nope, it was news to me too. I'm surprised I've never heard of it either, especially considering that I work around lots of diesels and always have.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie

i assume disconnecting the battery wouldnt have done anything, correct? once it has a fuel source its gonna go till theres either no fuel or air right? well other than the comeaparts of course.
Correct. You can disconnect all the wires and fuel lines you can find, and it won't help one bit.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

I have experience this first hand. When I was in college I worked as a deck hand on several old research boats for the UW so I had been trained on what to do to shut down an over speeding diesel. One day my house mates sister-in-law is frantically knocking on our door and her diesel Rabbit is sitting in the driveway make a smoke screen that would make James Bond envious. I immediately popped the hood, pulled the air intake hose loose from air cleaner and used my hand to cut off the flow of air. I will tell you it is a frightening experience to be that close to and engine that sounds like it cold blow apart at any second. The good new was that I was able to cut off the air stopping the engine before any permanent damage was done. She was on the way home from having her oil changed and her mechanic had installed the wrong oil filter.

Cheers
John
Old 07-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #9

I've got some first hand experience as well. An old Detroit 2-stroke started running away in the shop I worked in as a kid and holy smokes those things can rev!! It didn't take long though and the giant engine started flying apart. We managed to drag the truck out to the back of the parking lot before it came completely undone. Freaking scary though with all that noise and rotating mass trying to find a way out of the block.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

News to me, too.

On a 6.0, what would be the fastest way to stop the engine? Just opening the air filter housing takes about 5-6 minutes for me because I have move the radiator tank out of the way.