Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Garage
Yellowstone

Fellow SMBers,

I have almost got my wife to agree to camping in Yellowstone. I have never been and now with the Yeti, it seems like the perfect time. Here is the plan so far:

Head out on Sat. and stay in Park City at the Waldorf Astoria for two nights (sweeten the deal for 4 nights camping):

http://www.parkcitywaldorfastoria.com/default-en.html

Monday arrive at Yellowstone and have 4 nights reserved at Canyon Campground. Fishing Bridge would not allow the pop up and Canyon has showers. Would love to know what to expect.

Friday head to Grand Teton and stay at one of the lodges for two nights to prepare for drive home. (suggestion appreciated).

Sunday long drive home.

This will be the second time she will have stayed in the Yeti. I am explaining that we will be busy all day and only be crashing in it at night. Canyon seems centrally located with food and activities close by.

What do you think? Am I on the right track?

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

Re: Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX
I am explaining that we will be busy all day and only be crashing in it at night.
What do you think? Am I on the right track?
TexGX
That is always the case with us... the tendency is to look forward to getting back to the van/camp, not just sitting in/around the van. Although we do some hanging around, also... 'specially when the weather turns or the evening cools
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

Canyon is great, we always stay there (all two times) but we'd been all over the park and went back to Canyon.

When you hit the main loop from Canyon, turn South and there is a pond on the right- our favorite site to spot moose. Otherwise you can't lose, be sure to hit Paint Pots and then as much else as you can fit.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #4

Garage

Thank for comments so far.

Jage,

How are the showers there? My wife is going to want to know.

Keep them coming.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Yellowstone

Yep. Good plan, great spot.

On Teton, I recommend Jackson Lake Lodge. Never stayed but visited. Huge windows overlooking the lake and mountains in the lobby. It's really neat. I would also drive up on Shadow Mountain to get some panoramic Teton range pics. MKRyan or Bettyford can easily get you there.

If you like to eat (and drink) where the locals eat check out the Snake River Brewery in Jackson.

Have fun!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

We're planning a Glacier National Park & Yellowstone trip for mid-September so any trip reports would be welcome. We only have about 2 1/2 weeks including the drive up from SoCal so we'll be pressed for time. Hope you have a great trip!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #7

Garage

TexGX, Canyon is a great location for seeing some of the best parts of the Park (in my opinion). I really like Dunraven Pass, which is just north of Canyon and the Canyon area itself.

If you want to know specifics, PM me and I can help with trails or other info.

As you head South into the Tetons, there are cabins at Colter Bay. About 6 miles South of Colter is Jackson Lake Lodge that 86Scotty mentioned. I've stayed at the cabins at both Colter Bay and Jackson Lake Lodge. Not too many rooms in the Lodge itself, most are located in the cabins. Jackson Lake Lodge has incredible views from the main lodge and you need to stop and check it out whether you stay there or not. Several restaurants and a bar in the Lodge.

South of Jackson Lake Lodge, on the inside road, is Signal Mountain Lodge and then further South is Jenny Lake Lodge. I've never stayed at either one. Signal Mountain has cabins I believe. Jenny Lake Lodge is the most expensive place to stay within the Park. Their prices rival the Four Seasons at the Jackson Hole ski area.

Plenty of places to stay in the town of Jackson but weekends can fill up quickly, both in the Park and in town. I recommend you make reservations ahead of time.

If you are in the North part of the Tetons around dinner time and you are looking for casual, Leeks Marina has the best pizza in the Park or in Town. It is located about a mile or two North of Colter Bay and I would highly recommend the pizza.

Again, PM me if you want specifics about either of the Parks. I'll do my best to help.

I'll be at Chief Joseph campground outside the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone on Thursday night, the 10th. Several of us are backpacking into the Absaroka's on Friday through Sunday. Might be staying at the campground on Sunday night also.

Enjoy your trip and have fun.

Mike
Old 07-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #8

Know that Yellowstone is a HUGE park, and speed limits are low. Allocate time in your plans for driving.

You don't want to go too fast anyway, as you can miss a lot of beautiful stuff. And there are always "buffalo jams", where traffic stops suddenly when bison get near to and cross the roads. People park anywhere they can -- sometimes they just leave their car in the middle of the road -- and start taking pictures. These last until a ranger comes along and chases the bison off the road.

+10 for Jackson Lake Lodge. Worth it if you can get a room. Beautiful hotel with a great view.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #9

Garage

Thanks for all the great information. It seems Canyon will be a great launching point.

Mike I will PM you for more details.

photographix,

Thanks for the heads up. I have read that can lead to long days trying to drive the loops. My thoughts are to try and hit the big points first two days then explore the last two.

How long does it normally take to drive the loops? Should I plan on one loop a day?

TexGX
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #10

A loop a day is a pretty good plan. The hikes from the parking lots to the various pools and geysers are usually short and very easy. Some attractions you can see in under 1/2 hour or so each.

Others, like Grand Prismatic Pool, will probably take you a little longer. You could spend almost half a day there if you stroll around the pool and then hike up the hill behind the pool.

The Paint Pots area is a small walk, as is Norris Basin. Mammoth Hot Springs can use up some time as well, but all are worth it, IMO.

Oh, and be ready for crowds! We went just after Labor Day, and there were still a large number of people.