Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Scooters and other 'bumper' additions

I prefer to just take my bicycles, but for a few places we go I really need a grocery getter, and also something to explore a little further on. I'm considering adding something to the rear bumper for this. I don't really want to tow a trailer.....ever......though that may change soon.
My requirements are street legal and kid/wife friendly, meaning she can operate it and the kids can ride comfortably on the back and sooner than later get around on it themselves.
Unfortunately this nixes my idea of a KTM 400/520/640 or the like turned in to a Supermoto, which would be my first choice.
I'm considering something like a Yamaha Zuma (I like the 125 a lot better than the 50) or a Honda Ruckus if I could find one. I could be drawn to something older like a Trail 90, but I want efficiency, simplicity and reliability.

So what's on your bumper?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

Re: Scooters and other 'bumper' additions

check out my set up custom rack for Honda scooter 250 or my 50.makes it very nice for extra transportation. berns378
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #3

Don't have the van, still have the bike ('84 CT110). Also have a '71 CT90. I call them my dingy.. When the van breaks down or gets stuck, I can paddle out in my dinghy for help.

And hard to beat an old Honda 90 for reliability and simplicity. There's nothing to break! Problem is people want crazy money for them out here ($1500+).. you would probably do a lot better..

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Team

'77 Honda XL75?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4608725915.html

No affiliation.

Herb
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378
check out my set up custom rack for Honda scooter 250 or my 50.makes it very nice for extra transportation. berns378
Yeah, I dig it. It's large though! I have a motorcycle carrier from my Enduro days I can use. It's single point now, but about to be 3 point attachment. I might integrate bikes in to it too.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
'77 Honda XL75?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4608725915.html

No affiliation.

Herb
Man, that is sweet! I bet it'll be gone today.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #7

I had a '99 zuma (pre bug eye headlights) that I tricked out with a 70cc kit and the rest of the bits to support it. That thing got up to 60+mph on the flats. Not sure if its a CA law but I don't think you're allowed to go 2 up on 50cc bikes.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I had a '99 zuma (pre bug eye headlights) that I tricked out with a 70cc kit and the rest of the bits to support it. That thing got up to 60+mph on the flats. Not sure if its a CA law but I don't think you're allowed to go 2 up on 50cc bikes.
Cool, I'll check in to the laws here and anywhere regional I might ride it. I wouldn't be getting out on any main roads with 2 on it anyway. I'm mostly looking for a fire-road toy, around the campground, groceries at the beach, that kind of thing. I really like the Zumas. I love the older Honda stuff but everyone is proud of it, and I really don't blame them.

I just found a Honda Grom online. I can't afford one but what a trick little bike!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Garage

ive been using a 04 yamaha wr250f. installed some footpegs for the wife and its served its purpose well so far this year. however, the wife wants her own scoot now. so im currently looking at these:

the plan is to pick up one identicle to the pic posted so i can use it for commuting to and from work and quick trips around town, then pick up another one for the wife (she has no desire to be on a bike in town), but likley a 140 or 150 (i cant have my wife handing me my ass). ill also pick up another set of wheels to put some knobbies on for the weekends. shooting for a 17/14 combo to help bring the front end up so i can ride more comfortably standing up.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4560015533.html
Attached Thumbnails
00h0h_jHcmVm5n1JC_600x450.jpg  
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote