Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Van prices...soft or is KBB accurate?

Just wondering what you guys think about current used van prices. Would you consider the E series prices soft or do you think the values given by KBB are accurate? I'm considering selling my 2005 to get into something newer (2010) but I'm going back and forth because of the prices of a newer van. It also seems like at some point the prices kind of drop off and then maintain at that level for a while. Could have to do with higher miles, but I'm not sure.

Whats your thoughts?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Van prices...soft or is KBB accurate?

No expertise here price should hold for Fords since they don't make them anymore. Could trickle over to other flavors as shoppers seek alternatives.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #3

When I was paying attention, I always thought van resale was very soft, and that carried over to the 2wd Sportsmobiles. I don't know about the scarcity value either- honestly outside of us who sees value in the full-frame E-series when Sprinter, Transit etc are the latest thing? I see an analogy in the Jeep world with guys pouring tons of money into the new Wranglers, whereas I'm forever a TJ fan (and now feel like those guys who are still holding on to their CJs like it was the last great thing).
Old 11-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #4

One of the great benefits to the Ford E-platform is the huge range of accessories and aftermarket equipment. At some point, though, I would imagine that will dwindle as manufacturers start supporting the newer vans.

Of course, there are still tons of E-vans driving around, and they will need parts and stuff, but I would imagine most people accessorize their vans at the beginning of ownership (racks, partitions, conversions, etc.) and that the residual market is small in comparison.

I would think 4x4 SMBs will maintain their value well, and possibly even increase (as a percentage of original cost), but I'm not sure about the 2WD SMBs (like mine).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I agree with Brian. I'm one who will migrate to a pickup style conversion if going new just because I don't like the looks of the newer non-Ford vans like the Sprinters and want a more stable 4x4 frame. The Fuso type conversions are almost too big for my applications. The E series is the best option IMO and although I like the pre-08 looks better, I wonder how long companies like Aluminess (or SMB) will offer equipment for the older vans. That said there are a ton out there and it will be some time before the Ford vans will disappear, so I think the Fords will hold value for a while. But most people don't buy vans for RV conversions and as used Sprinter type vans flood the market, business people will likely move to the newer vehicles. Body rust will take a toll on the Ford's out there and like older pickups, we'll probably see fewer and fewer on the road over time. I didn't like the newer looks of the Chevy PU's in 89 or when Chevy left the box style look, but the new design grew on me. Now it's strange to see an older PU on the road and most are not restored. I'm not saying I'll ever accept the Euro looks, but I won't want to tackle a major restoration of an old E Series van down the road either even if I can get one dirt cheap. I might not have a choice but to move on. If you really want a survivalist type vehicle, spend the money on a vehicle with no electronics and an engine with a carburetor or move into the future and enjoy high tech items offered.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote