Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #1

Warranty reimbursement

I put a Ford longblock in my van. 2 yr Unlimited Mileage warranty. Unlike new vehicles, the engine warranty isn't directly covered in Canada. If you have a claim, you have to pay and then seek reimbursement through a domestic dealership.

So, while heading to Alaska last summer I had to stop in Canada (Prince George Motors in Prince George, BC) and have an injector replaced. The engine was running fine nearly all the time. After coasting downhill for a long time (>40 seconds) it would sometimes miss. The injector must have a very small leak, not enough to cause any problem when driving normally. But when I would downshift on the freeway and coast down an offramp (or long downhill) the compression would push the fuel back out of the injector. I the coasting was for a short time, the engine would run normally when I would stop and idle or when I went to accelerate again. But, if I had coasted long enough the injector would be dry and the cylinder would not fire until the air had cleared from the injector. I told the tech exactly what conditions caused the miss and he went for a test ride and came back and said 'No problem found.' So I took him for a ride and showed him the issue, he captured it on the Ford S/W and spent the rest of the day changing the injector.

I was happy with the dealership, the techs, the service, etc. But, I had to pay C$2249.31 to have an injector replaced. Included in that price was a C$250 core charge for the injector. When I got home I went to my local dealer (who installed the engine) and filed for reimbursement. I told the that due to differences in the Canadian and US dollars, the charge on my credit card was $2030 and I told them I had the injector core with me. They told me to keep the core until they ask for it.

6 weeks later, they call and tell me they have a check for me. The check is for $2249.31 No core needed. Makes me wonder how messed up other portions of the business are. Had it been the other way around I would have been raising hell over losing money on the exchange rate, but I told them what my cost was in US dollars and they just paid the invoice without much thought. Maybe I have to think of it as payment for the 4 months between my paying the Canadian dealership and my getting the check.

Anybody want to buy an injector that is working well 99.95% of the time?

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Warranty reimbursement

Just curious Mike, the crate motor had everything new or did they use parts from the old engine?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

Re: Warranty reimbursement

The longblock is all new, from the valve covers to the oil pan. The intake, turbo, exhaust, fan/clutch, etc. are moved over. So, you get all new injectors, oil pumps, sensors, etc.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote