Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Landuse Discussion

It is all about the economy. Tickets = revenue.

Issuing tickets justifies the need for Rangers which keeps them employed and over funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The good: looks like a great time! Totally jealous!

The rant: WTF? What does that ranger have to complain about? Looks like you're in the middle of the desert to me. Too far off the road? Huh? Are you gonna kill the grass? You think a struggling state economy would be happy to have you in their state parks but I guess not there. What is the world coming to.

Still glad you guys are having a great time. Still jealous.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Anza Borrego over New years (Was Mojave)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The good: looks like a great time! Totally jealous!

The rant: WTF? What does that ranger have to complain about? Looks like you're in the middle of the desert to me. Too far off the road? Huh? Are you gonna kill the grass?
While the photos seem to show the vehicles parked in a big turnout (open area), it's difficult to tell. Yes there are rules in place to protect the sensitive desert environment and creatures from rampant off road vehicle destruction. Thats's why you need to stay on the road or in designated parking or camping areas. If you actually think it is just a big pile of useless sand, then you need to open your eyes, put down the beer, and perhaps stop in a visitor center and examine the displays and information on desert flora and fauna. When I hike around the open desert, I am extremely careful where my feet land and what critters may be below the surface during the day. I've stopped in a hurry a dozen times to save the life of a desert tortoise that was sunbathing in the middle of the road by moving it far back into the desert. It's simply a matter of being aware of your environment, respecting and caring about it and understanding the rules and why the intelligent people who created them did so. And, yes, you just might kill the grass there. Plenty of critters depend on it for their survival ,and with the drought, it's making life quite difficult for them.

I also wonder what the total dollar amount of fees, expenses and purchases the entire SMB group actually paid to the State Parks and the State of CA to visit and enjoy that place? I'm not at all complaining that it might not be that much, but your comment about the 'struggling state economy' is pretty bizarre in this case.
----------------------

"It is all about the economy. Tickets = revenue. Issuing tickets justifies the need for Rangers which keeps them employed and over funded."

Do you actually believe that or are you just having fun?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

This struck a nerve! Your right these were just a bunch of Redneck Outlaw Off-Roaders killing the desert... NOT!

I'll put down the Beer I'm not drinking if you will put out that Joint you are smoking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
While the photos seem to show the vehicles parked in a big turnout (open area), it's difficult to tell. Yes there are rules in place to protect the sensitive desert environment and creatures from rampant off road vehicle destruction. Thats's why you need to stay on the road or in designated parking or camping areas. If you actually think it is just a big pile of useless sand, then you need to open your eyes, put down the beer, and perhaps stop in a visitor center and examine the displays and information on desert flora and fauna. <They are camped in the middle of a huge wash that gets completely changed with every major storm. We don't exist in a 15 minute or even 50 year bubble. We, the human race will be long gone and that desert will still be there and just like when the Dinosaurs ate the grasses in the same area, the desert doesn't care, it lives in a multi-million year bubble - if not we would still see rampant damage from the native people that had no Rangers to tell them they couldn't have their fire on the ground,> When I hike around the open desert, I am extremely careful where my feet land and what critters may be below the surface during the day. I've stopped in a hurry a dozen times to save the life of a desert tortoise that was sunbathing in the middle of the road by moving it far back into the desert. <Don't tell that ranger; it is illegal to move a turtle, and you will get a revenue generating ticket.> It's simply a matter of being aware of your environment, respecting and caring about it and understanding the rules and why the intelligent people who created them did so. And, yes, you just might kill the grass there. Plenty of critters depend on it for their survival ,and with the drought, it's making life quite difficult for them. <You really have that little respect for the conscientiousness of that wonderful group of campers>

I also wonder what the total dollar amount of fees, expenses and purchases the entire SMB group actually paid to the State Parks and the State of CA to visit and enjoy that place? <You are kidding, right? I'm guessing between the lot, hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes are paid to the State of CA and three time that amount to the Federal Government. Did you ever learn the song "This land is my land, this land is your land. From California... This land was made for you and me." Not for Ranger Rick, the BLM or the Eco-conscious (who are so much more enlightened, lol). We all pay for it every day that we breath.> I'm not at all complaining that it might not be that much, but your comment about the 'struggling state economy' is pretty bizarre in this case.
----------------------

"It is all about the economy. Tickets = revenue. Issuing tickets justifies the need for Rangers which keeps them employed and over funded."

Do you actually believe that or are you just having fun?

Not fun or funny - reality. They have quotas for a reason.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

Everyone, please put down the beers and the joints........

I promise that no flora of fauna were injured by any sportsmobiles on this meet-up.......we were parked on sand where thousands of others have parked for years, maybe decades, depending on the rainfall and where the wash happens to end up in a given year. BTW it's totally fine to pitch your tent in the area where we had the vans parked according to the ranger.

As far as fees paid to this wonderful state of ours, I've personally purchased adventure passes for probably ten years now (since the beginning of the adventure pass), and own three motorcycles that are green stickered (fee generation for the state); these have been required for well over 10 years at this point.....heaven knows what the penalty is for riding a red stickered bike bike during green sticker season is.........
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Garage
Re: Landuse Discussion

Thanks, Boywonder. I've had my share of Adventure passes, too. I didn't think that group was 'destroying grasses'. That was actually someone else's comment I was simply referring to.

Sorry, Baja, your defensive and whacky replies indicate that you are not able to understand the intent of anything I said. None was being directed at you or any one individual, but stated or implied in a very general manner. I apologize if I was using your statements as a stereotype of the general type of people I was actually addressing. Perhaps some forum members will see that. Others may not. Clearly it's too risky to post concepts like that here. I can't continue this conversation.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 PM   #6

[quote="BajaSportsmobile"]It is all about the economy. Tickets = revenue.

Issuing tickets justifies the need for Rangers which keeps them employed and over funded.

+1
Do you actually believe that or are you just having fun? I believe, and I'm haven fun!
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #7

I don't think anyone is arguing over state park rules or why they are in place. Seems like a recurring theme from this trip report and previous ones that the Fish Creek area Ranger(s) could use a chill pill, however.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Everyone, please put down the beers and the joints........

I promise that no flora of fauna were injured by any sportsmobiles on this meet-up.......we were parked on sand where thousands of others have parked for years, maybe decades, depending on the rainfall and where the wash happens to end up in a given year. BTW it's totally fine to pitch your tent in the area where we had the vans parked according to the ranger.

As far as fees paid to this wonderful state of ours, I've personally purchased adventure passes for probably ten years now (since the beginning of the adventure pass), and own three motorcycles that are green stickered (fee generation for the state); these have been required for well over 10 years at this point.....heaven knows what the penalty is for riding a red stickered bike bike during green sticker season is.........
I dislike taxes as much as anyone, but am a big supporter of user fees. The theory is great. The heaviest users pay the greatest share of the costs.

Having paid for an adventure pass and OHV green sticker fees for decades too, my big beef is that these funds are not being directed at sustaining, protecting and expanding outdoor recreation. Quite a bit of third party analysis shows that these user fees are being re-directed, borrowed or just stolen for other state budgetary purposes.

R
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Ok so I have started my look into the laws affecting Highways and parking on or near. I have only found the basic and that is you can not park on or next to a designated highway and must have hazards on and must be gone or removed within 24 hours.

Need more coffee this crap is hard to read

BTW I do not support fees from a Government that has no checks and balance on the money they spend. I do believe with proper accounting ( like what they make us do ) we would find extra and be able to balance the budget.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I agree with the last 3 post as well as some of Jeffery’s and Ramsey’s posts. We need to keep in mind that the land is public land for use by the people but understand the need to camp responsibly and use trail etiquette while doing a run. I support off road parks designed for the more extreme sports as well as OHV routes but also want to be able to experience the remote regions of our country. I think it’s possible to keep routes open and coexist without much harm to nature even though some (and the government) seem to think differently. Anyway it sucks to get slapped in the face when you truly feel like a responsible off roader.
I’m glad you guys were able to work things out with this ranger. Some of them feel like they own the land themselves but most of the rangers I’ve dealt with are good people. Still there’s always one in the bunch who is off kilter a bit.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote