Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Iceland by campervan

I just returned from living two weeks in a campervan in Iceland. Put on close to 2000 miles cruising around the fjords and such roads that were open (they had a heavy winter and all the interior roads were still impassable). It was gorgeous in its own rugged way, though I was too early (late May!!) to get the beautiful brilliant greens of the mosses and grasses one always sees in pics. Still... the waterfalls are amazing, and the long days (it never actually got dark-dark) made for lots of time to be on the move.

If anyone is thinking about a similar type of adventure there, please feel free to hit me up for info and I'll try to pass on what I learned / like / disliked, etc.

(not sure how to create a little slide show without cluttering up the galleries here, so I haven't posted any other pics)

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Re: Iceland by campervan

Sounds like a great trip. Can you share some about the camper van you used and how you liked it?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #3

Don't worry about cluttering up the galleries - let's see some pics!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #4

My van was a "Happy 2 Ex" from Happy Campers (http://www.happycampers.is/) It was very basic - I think they convert the vans themselves. The "Ex" means it was one of their older mares just about to be put out to pasture - it was cheaper than their newer ones. I had reserved a Happy Ex 1, but oddly the people that arrived 5 minutes before me chose to downgrade from their reserved 2 to the 1, so I got their 2 for the price of the van I had reserved (got a bigger van).

It had a fold-down double bed / back seat, ARB 12v cooler/fridge, a Wabasto diesel furnace, and a sink with water pump. It was most definitely not a 4x4 and is prohibited from the interior F-roads (the police will fine you if they catch you on those roads anyway). They provide a butane one-burner stove and some basic dishes / utensils.

The bedding they provided was rather pathetic considering how cold it got (below freezing and my heater decided to crap out on me - but at the price of fuel there, that may have been a blessing!). I ended up buying a cheap sleeping bag to supplement their thin blanket after one night being cold. If I go again I will take my own sleeping rig.

It was by no means posh, but it did the trick and let me get out of the miserable weather I had. There is something to be said for simplicity, and I found myself kinda liking the minimalist setup.

There are other more involved and more expensive camper options - up to pretty large rigs as well as 4x4s. I was alone, and don't require much so I was content to keep the cost to only one arm and one leg. I'm still walking funny from the unkind intrusion to my nether regions by the oil companies and the amount of cash I spent on diesel (~$2.25 / liter). I really wish I could ship the SMB over there, but feeding the gluttonous hog would be really painful there!!!!

The good part of the campervan is that for now you can park and overnight pretty much anywhere in the country without getting harassed by officials. The locals are starting to get grumpy, though, and are starting to limit the freedom camping. I parked on beaches, info pullouts, picnic pullouts, and a couple road closure gates with no one caring enough to bother me (not sure anyone even went by at all in most of the places - there aren't that many people in Iceland). Regardless, with trying to photograph late into the night for the sunset (around 11:30pm and later), having the van made it easier than trying to sneak quietly into a farmhouse B&B at weird hours. There are a lot of community pools in Iceland towns/villages where you can take a shower for a couple bucks.

For my purposes the campervan option was the ideal way to go - my entire rental was ~$1300 for 11 days, though I snuck in at the very end of the off-season rates; summer rates are higher. With no other lodging cost it was about as cheap as I could do this trip in Iceland for vehicle and lodging.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

I'm thinking about Iceland for our big trip next year. Ever since I saw the "Heima" DVD from the band Sigur Ros I've really wanted to visit. They do small shows around the country and the scenery in it was spectacular.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

I enjoyed the scenery. Just wish it would have been a bit more GREEN. Another week or two would probably have made a big difference.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #7

We are heading out to Iceland this September. It certainly is a wake up call for me on gas/diesel costs and rental costs for a vehicle. Camper Vans rental costs are pretty outrageous! I think we will end up renting a basic 4x4 and tent camping where possible. I do have an email into Happy Camper to see if they have anything available during our trip times. (Web site showed no availability)

Thanks for the tip!

tv
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvoudy
I think we will end up renting a basic 4x4 and tent camping where possible.
tv: be aware the wind is relentless. As in: frequent, mind- and tent-shredding madness. (or at least YOU will want to shred your tent after living in it in that constant, daily wind)

I was eternally thankful to be able to retreat into hard-walled shelter and let the wind rock me to sleep instead of having it shred my tent around me or flap its walls across my face as I tried to sleep. After what I experienced over my 12 days there, I will NOT EVER go to Iceland with intention of tent-camping unless someone convinces me to backpack into something phenomenal.

Not saying you CAN'T tent it, but I think you might wish to reconsider, especially if you take a spouse/family. Perhaps someone else on the forum has been there and can chime in on their experience, but I wouldn't tent in Iceland if I can help it.

Also be aware that many of the 4x4 roads require significant river crossings. I can't know what your 4x4 experience level is, but personally I do not have the experience and skill to get into a river that is over my wheel wells and requires a snorkel. Forgive my interference, but please look diligently and thoroughly into any and all places you think to go on their F-roads. They may be crazier than what you are used to on jeep roads and such here in the States. And detouring "around to the other side" may be a huge, time-wasting effort or impossible altogether. If you are at all cringing by this, suck up the cash and hire guides and let them trash their vehicles rather than your rental.

Hope that helps you have a great trip. The place is awesome, but a few things were eye-openers. (I consulted an e-book "Forever Light" by some photographers and I found their advice spot-on) Also, feel free to hit me up for any and all questions - certainly not an expert after one trip, but I'm happy to pass on my observations.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-24-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Any chance you ran into Bjork in your travels?!

Dave
unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 AM   #10

Ended up getting a pretty decent deal on a small camper van from Go Iceland:

http://www.goiceland.com/campers/

tv
tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote