Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Favorite mobile (and easy) foods

Hey!

I've been doing car camping a long time and always seem to take the same easy, convenient food and snacks along. I have a very limited food-making imagination.

I tried searching the forum for food terms I thought would make sense (limited imagination), and didn't see any threads about FOOD you like to take in the SMB when you go mobile.

Can anyone direct me to a specific thread on mobile food, or add some suggestions for decent food on the run without setting up a 3-burner camp kitchen and oven and grill and creating a home-style kitchen mess?

Thanks!

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Re: Favorite mobile (and easy) foods

Found this thread that was more or less along my thoughts:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10412&hilit=snacks

Any other suggestions / ideas of your favorite things to take along?
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #3

I'm also a fan of pre-cooking and taking in tupperwares. Sometimes we run out of time before we leave so we don't get to make meals for the trip though. We've also bought some ready to eat frozen meals at Trader Joe's and just heat it up in a pan. The risotto is a good one.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

I like to buy frozen or refrigerated "skillet meals". Evol makes some good ones. One burner, one skillet, usually very little mess and minimal space wasted by excess packaging. I rarely do more than scrape out the skillet at night then just throw the bacon in there in the morning.

We do a lot of larger spread meals though just because we have the space and I enjoy executing the onsite prep.

I also like to cook in the dutch oven if we intend to be in camp for long enough. I can drink a lot of beer while supervising a 3 lb pork shoulder in that thing.

Another thing we do is carry a set of nesting tupperware. When we eat out on the road, we frequently just pack up the left overs and stick 'em in the fridge.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4777
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Thanks!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 06-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #7

We (my wife, as I cannot take much credit) have been pre cooking, vacuum packing and then freezing meals especially for longer trips. Works out great. The Tupperware was taking up to much space and was inefficient. the bags lay flat in the fridge/freezer which helps keep that cold. We move the next meal to the cooler to slow defrost and can cook in the vacuum pack bags. We use zip locks for leftovers. Cooking is mainly warming up so the pots are easy to clean.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Garage

I do the same as 1der. The wife gets mad when she goes for left overs and I have them vacuumed sealed in the freezer ready for a trip. Her stew is one of my favorites. I also pre-microwave my potatoes so they are faster to fry(must have home fries with my steak). I do have a microwave which can speed things up. My wife loves the turkey breast from Costco. We make mash-potatoes before we leave and she can heat them up fast. Prepping is key. Costco used to have chicken fried rice bags that heated up quick and were fantastic. I tried some of the instant Oatmeal in the bowls last trip and really liked them(still use my JetBoil). I also do a lot of one pan meals.

TexGX

p.s. BBQ travels really well. I will buy brisket or chopped beef and eat it several ways.
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
We (my wife, as I cannot take much credit) have been pre cooking, vacuum packing and then freezing meals especially for longer trips. Works out great. The Tupperware was taking up to much space and was inefficient. the bags lay flat in the fridge/freezer which helps keep that cold. We move the next meal to the cooler to slow defrost and can cook in the vacuum pack bags. We use zip locks for leftovers. Cooking is mainly warming up so the pots are easy to clean.
pop tarts come prepackaged and can be heated in the sun; then there are Snickers Bars (the original energy bar) and Diet Coke - nothing to clean. Am I missing something? Oh yea, a can of Franco American Spaghetti in the glove box. Ready for adventure!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #10

Nasty, Baja. But not far off of my miserable ideas, unfortunately.

Heh heh... me and a buddy maintained for three days in Tibet on Pringles, Pepsi, Oreos, and Snickers when we got hosed by weather and stuck in a village, and then ridiculous police road block traffic jams and bad snow removal in the middle of nowhere.

(no the bus in the picture did NOT fall of the road there; our descent in our guide's bald-tire van from the pass after dark was rather harrowing as our driver careened around fallen boulders the size of cars, 2 yaks, a horse, and a dog)
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4