Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Great Documentary

For those of you who have not seen Horatios Drive , Americas First Road Trip by Ken Burns I would highly recommend that you do so . This will I think inspire and amaze you at the shear scope of his undertaking and having traveled these same route's on different occasions I cannot imagine all that he and his mechanic went thru . I live streamed it last evening from Netflix at the suggestion of my Son In Law .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Great Documentary

http://www.pbs.org/horatio/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

My wife and I borrowed the video from the Haines, AK library and watched it on our way up to the Kenai. Great documentary and it really added something to the trip!
8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

Check this thread out for a great modern expedition! I sat through and read the entire thing and was amazed at what he went through and were he was able to get his rig too. Worth the read for sure.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=50799
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

Garage

Just saw this thread while searching for something else, but.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can stream "Horatio's Drive." It is Episode 9 of Ken Burns: American Lives Season 1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00.../ref=dv_dp_ep9

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks guys! I have Amazon streaming and am always looking for something worth turning my TV on for. If only there were a Sportsmobile channel.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

You might also enjoy this book: "American Road: The Story of an Epic Transcontinental Journey at the Dawn of the Motor Age" It's about the US Army's cross-country "expedition" back in 1919 on the Lincoln Hwy. I found it interesting and a good read. Might be out of print, but I got it in my library and looks like it's available on the Kindle, too.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Road-Sto ... 080506883X

Amazon's description:

A fascinating account of the greatest road trip in American history.

On July 7, 1919, an extraordinary cavalcade of sixty-nine military motor vehicles set off from the White House on an epic journey. Their goal was California, and ahead of them lay 3,250 miles of dirt, mud, rock, and sand. Sixty-two days later they arrived in San Francisco, having averaged just five miles an hour. Known as the First Transcontinental Motor Train, this trip was an adventure, a circus, a public relations coup, and a war game all rolled into one. As road conditions worsened, it also became a daily battle of sweat and labor, of guts and determination.

American Road is the story of this incredible journey. Pete Davies takes us from east to west, bringing to life the men on the trip, their trials with uncooperative equipment and weather, and the punishing landscape they encountered. Ironically one of the participants was a young soldier named Dwight Eisenhower, who, four decades later, as President, launched the building of the interstate highway system. Davies also provides a colorful history of transcontinental car travel in this country, including the first cross-country trips and the building of the Lincoln Highway. This richly detailed book offers a slice of Americana, a piece of history unknown to many, and a celebration of our love affair with the road.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Thanks guys! I have Amazon streaming and am always looking for something worth turning my TV on for. If only there were a Sportsmobile channel.

Let me know if you find something. Maybe I'll buy one.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #9

I can also give a thumbs up to "Horatio's Drive." Simply amazing the sheer willpower and stamina (and yet the sense that fun/interest was had as well). I really enjoyed it (saw it a year or so ago).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #10

Parts of this one are interesting: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/summer-family-love/

Could be a dupe..I dunno?

Not historical in any way. Thread jack.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote