Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Site Team

Digital SLR camera advice

Looking to finally make the jump back to a quality (digital) camera, rather than just using the camera mode on our digital camcorder. Still have a nice film SLR sitting on the shelf, but maybe it's time to let that go, like I did the hundreds of vinyl LPs I sold off a year ago.

Since I travel a lot for work, I'm looking to cash in airline miles for a new digital SLR camera. There aren't a lot of choices available to me under the United Airlines program, and I've read the reviews for the below cameras on CNET, but I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations on these cameras? FWIW, they are not all the same point value.

1) Canon EOS 7D with 28-135mm lens
18.0 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 4GB Compact Flash Memory Card

2) Canon EOS Rebel T1i
15.1 Megapixel EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (no mention of memory card)

3) Canon EOS 60D
18.0 Digital SLR with EF-S 18-135mm IS Kit & 2GB SD Memory Card

4) Nikon D-90
12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR with 18-105mm Lens & 2GB SD Memory Card

thanks,
Herb

Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Digital SLR camer advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Looking to finally make the jump back to a quality (digital) camera, rather than just using the camera mode on our digital camcorder. Still have a nice film SLR sitting on the shelf, but maybe it's time to let that go, like I did the hundreds of vinyl LPs I sold off a year ago.

Since I travel a lot for work, I'm looking to cash in airline miles for a new digital SLR camera. There aren't a lot of choices available to me under the United Airlines program, and I've read the reviews for the below cameras on CNET, but I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations on these cameras? FWIW, they are not all the same point value.

1) Canon EOS 7D with 28-135mm lens
18.0 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 4GB Compact Flash Memory Card

2) Canon EOS Rebel T1i
15.1 Megapixel EF-S 18-55mm IS Kit (no mention of memory card)

3) Canon EOS 60D
18.0 Digital SLR with EF-S 18-135mm IS Kit & 2GB SD Memory Card

4) Nikon D-90
12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR with 18-105mm Lens & 2GB SD Memory Card

thanks,
Herb
I have been investing in Sony SLR's but I'm definitely getting the Canon EOS60D over the Rebel T1i. I've seen it as low as ~$880.00 on the net which is a deal.

The reason initially I got the Sony SLR was due to the articulating LCD Viewer, the new EOS60D has the new articulating LCD Viewfinder that seems to be the first for Canon. Overall I really think the Canon is better in taking pics, faster lately.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
I have been investing in Sony SLR's but I'm definitely getting the Canon EOS60D over the Rebel T1i. I've seen it as low as ~$880.00 on the net which is a deal.

The reason initially I got the Sony SLR was due to the articulating LCD Viewer, the new EOS60D has the new articulating LCD Viewfinder that seems to be the first for Canon. Overall I really think the Canon is better in taking pics, faster lately.
Yeah, I was/am leaning a bit towards the Canon EOS 7D, but from what I can tell, it does not have an articulating LCD display. Do you find you use that capability quite a bit?

Herb
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Re: Digital SLR camera advice

If you are setting the camera up on a tripod (where SLR's can really shine), then I would think the articulating LCD would be a great feature. That being said, I still do not own an SLR so take my comments with a grain (or cup) of salt.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Herb,

You'll find as much debate on the web re: Nikon vs. Canon as you will Ford vs. Chevy (you probably already have). So I won't argue the technical details too much.

Just over three years ago, before our son was born, we bought a Nikon D40X and it has served us well. One thing that swayed us towards Nikon (we were looking at both) was the warrantee. If I recall correctly, it was five years on the body and two on the lenses. Much less on the Canon, maybe two and one? The other thing that sealed the deal was the kit lenses available for the two cameras we were considering - the Nikon came with two Nikkor lenses, 18-55mm and 55-200mm.

One other thing to consider - what is your current analog SLR? Do you want to continue to use the lens(es) you already have?

Cheers,
Brent
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL

Same here, plus I had a bunch of Minolta lenses laying around and they fit the Sony A-100. Cost was also a factor. It sure is nice to be able to run up the ISO in darker skies. I got a great deal on the Sony but the Sony lenses are not the best. I got an aftermarket lens that I really like and use it 90% of the time. But I would love to have a nice Cannon or Nikon.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #7

When I was looking, the D-90 wasn’t out yet. I compared Cannon and Nikon and went with the Nikon D-80. I think the big differences between the D-80 and 90 are that the D-80 doesn’t do video the way the 90 does and the pixel count is only 10 (Still plenty high enough for my use). I mostly picked the Nikon over the Cannon based upon the way the menus worked. The Nikon has worked out terrific for me. I really like the 18-105 lens (except it doesn’t have stabilization). I also bought an 85-300 with stabilization, although a good tripod is better than stabilized lens.

Go down to a camera store and compare how they feel and operate.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Results of a quick search:

Canon: "Product will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and service for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase."

Nikon: I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer of their website, but it apears to be one year. It does look like they sell a two year extended service coverage plan too.

As for my film SLR, it's a Contax RTS II. Have a couple really nice Zeiss lenses, and a generic Tamron lens. I didn't think any of the film-based camera lenses would work with modern, electronic everything cameras. Contax lenses use a C/Y lens mount.

Interesting, I've found at least one lens mount adapter made by Fotodiox that will let you mount C/Y lenses on a Canon body, and other ones to mount to a Nikon body. SWEET!

Herb
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
What film SLR do you have? Do you usually shoot in Auto mode, or a different setting?
handjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by handjam
Quote:
What film SLR do you have? Do you usually shoot in Auto mode, or a different setting?
Contax RTS II. Sometimes AE mode, sometimes full manual. The camera is something over 25 years old, so I don't know if "full auto" even existed then. Select the apeture, and the camera selects the shutter speed. Manual focus.

Herb