Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

Tryptovan has ROOF AIR!!!!!!

Well, I finally did it. I got the roof air plasti-dipped black and installed this past week. It looks great (IMHO) and works even better! I bought a Coleman Polar Cub (9500btu) which is a low profile unit marketed primarily for truck campers. They aren't NEARLY as popular as the taller 13500 units, but I wanted the lower profile and the ability to run it with a Honda 2000 generator. It pulls 11.1 amps/1320 watts. My generator is on the front bumper, and my next project is building some sort of box/bumper for it that will save it from thieves or in the event of a minor accident.

Yes, I know that if they want to steal it, they will. I remove the generator when I need to, but this way I can actually run it while driving down the road. I've experimented with this several times and it works great. I ran a 12/3 extension cord underneath the van, using about 50 zip ties. It is run mostly inside the frame rail and inside fender liners, so it is a permanent install. I sill have a plug in for the roof air at the rear left of the van, so I can hook to shore power OR the generator if I want air conditioning. I chose to make the air conditioner a totally separate circuit from the present AC wiring inside the van, so unfortunately I can't just plug one thing in at a CG hook up. I'll have to plug one cord in for the roof air and another in (my Marinco exterior plug) for the inverter/AC circuits. Not perfect but it is simple, which is good.
The fiberglass on my CCV top is pretty thin (standard Fiberine uninsulated top), so I needed to strengthen it to hold the 95 lb. unit. Derek at CCV assured me that the motors he installs will lift that much without a problem, and so far so good.
Here's the support structure made of birth ply and 2x4s:

I used the same carpet my top is trimmed in, added Reflectix inside the cavities, and secured it to the side rails with L brackets:

Here's the unit mounted:

I ran 12/3 power cable (basically super durable extension cord) from the roof air through the sewn-in sleeve where all my lighting and fan wiring already goes. This enables the power cable to flex just as the other wiring does and never kink. Lowe's sells some pretty impressive 12/3 cable for 1.20/ft. I don't suspect it will ever be a problem and is plenty big enough for the job.
Next I cut a new hole for my Fantastic Fan about 1' ahead of the old hole, now used by the air conditioner. It was hard to swallow cutting another big hole in my roof but I had to do it:

Sorry for the low-light pics here

Here are some better shots of the final product. I had already butchered my cheapo roof rack by cutting a hole in it for the Fantastic Fan, so I just made that cut a much bigger U and it actually finished the look of the top off pretty well I think. It makes the roof air look like less of a big blob on the roof, even though I am getting closer and closer to Roadtrek territory with this thing.

Since this dark blue heat magnet gets so hot inside, I set all this up so I can just fire up the generator and use the roof air with the top raised or lowered anytime we want to cool off. I can see it running in a lot of parking lots while we shop or sightsee on trips. At 1 gal per 8 hours with the Honda, why not?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #2

Re: Tryptovan has ROOF AIR!!!!!!

Very clean stall job

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Nice job. Obviously one of the advantages of having a fixed top. Not sure that could be done with a pop top.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Errrrr.....Larrie.....that is a pop top.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 AM   #5

Nice install! The roof rack really helps "hide" the AC unit.

One thing you might consider for your Honda generator is a reinforced handle sleeve that they sell (or maybe it's aftermarket, I forget). Apparently it's pretty easy to cut the plastic handle, rendering the cable lock useless. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... cket/58709
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #6

Very nice install job! Let us know how well it works.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Nice install! The roof rack really helps "hide" the AC unit.

One thing you might consider for your Honda generator is a reinforced handle sleeve that they sell (or maybe it's aftermarket, I forget). Apparently it's pretty easy to cut the plastic handle, rendering the cable lock useless. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... cket/58709
Thanks. Yes, I'm building one right now. I hope to finish it today.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #8

Plus I think you get the SMB Forum award for bravery for cutting two large holes in the roof of you newish CCV top!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Plus I think you get the SMB Forum award for bravery for cutting two large holes in the roof of you newish CCV top!
Lol Brian! Yeah, just remember if you cut a hole in the top if a van, don't make it bigger than 14x14. That way you can always just put a roof vent there!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Team

Nice attention to detail.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote