Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
SWITCHES

I have seen a few threads talking about specific switches and specific setups,....

What kind of switches are folks using for external lights and such?

We know that we want to mount the switches overhead, but we are undecided on what kind of switches.

We have an ARB Locker switch and an ARB compressor switch that will be included in this mix. This makes us lean towards a switch that is a little 'beefier' than the fast-idle switch. We will also probably put an Auxiliary Horn button up in the same location (brownie points to the person that can guess what the horn will play or sound like)

Soooo What kind of switches are folks using for external lights and such?
How do you like them? Would you use them again?
(Have any photos? installed or otherwise?)

Thanks,

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I had my switches mounted overhead as well. I'm pretty happy with the Del City switches they used. I haven't found anything I'd replace them with yet.

I do plan to move a couple switches down to the dashboard so that I can use one of the overhead switches for another set of lights and one for the Hella tire monitor. It make sense to me to have the idle control and compressor switch down there anyway. I have some of the heavy duty toggles with safety covers that others have discussed. The Del City switches had a good price and seem to be good quality.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

FWIW

SMBW could only fit 2 ARB switches (compressor and front locker) and 3 others in my '08 overhead. I.e. space is limited. I have the ARB's, fog, high idle, and reverse switches in the overhead. The 4x4 light, extreme air, and sub-amp switch down low.

Also The ARB switches have a small blue night light on them (always on) that is very distracting. I think Twolost mentioned this as well. My short term fix is to drive at night with a hat on to shield my eyes from the light.

Couple other things regarding switches and lights. The only switch SMB installed that doesn't have an indicator light on it is for the backup lights. I'm told that since it functions as a reverse and work light, they can't make it work with an indicator light.

The '08 comes with a factory installed tire monitor system that won't work with the larger wheels, so I bought the Hella system. The only problem is the factory sensor is still in the dash and has an illuminated idiot light that blinks and always stays on.

I'll be in Fresno tomorrow for some adjustments, so hopefully they can resolve these minor items. Then off for a week in Death Valley. First big trip!

As far as the type of switches, I have what SMBW installs, I don't have anything to compare them to. The seem to work just fine. Sorry I can't give you any further information.

BTW
I love this vehicle, and couldn't be more pleased with the quality and workmanship. I'm sure there will be more issues, but for now, life is good.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #4

I just finished installing a bunch of auxilliary lighting including swapping the crappy hella driving lights, installing worklights, and large Lightforce offroad lights.

To manage my lighting I installed the sPod system. I couldn't be happier. Very clean, easy to install, comes with a relay system for easy installation and a single wire to the switches.

John the owner was very helpful, answering all my calls and even meeting me on Christmas Eve at his shop so I could get the prodcut. He gave detailed instructions and even gave me extra wire connectors and loom.

I will do a full write up in the next week and will include a lot of photos including where I ran the wiring.

In the meantime here are a couple of shots-

spod switches:

spod relay box under hood:

Though pricey, I am very pleased with the quality, ability to install it easily and great customer support.

Full report to come.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #5

do yopu have a wiring diagram for the s10 you have?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #6

I have the ARC switch panel. I'm not finished installing it yet but will post a report whem I'm finished. I liked the spod but this seemed like the same thing for less so I decided to give it a try. http://www.jegs.com/p/ARC/757613/10002/-1/10405
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Here is what we ended up using.....

...and we are very happy with it.

(this message sent from McBeast and our new ram laptop mount)

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote