Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #1

Interior Materials

I found an image on the web of a Sportsmobile that had an oak/tan leather interior combination that looked really nice. I've also seen some pretty cheezy looking woodgrain stuff too. Does anybody know what location(s) offers this, or if it's even possible to get a nice wood look on cabinetry, etc.? I don't find it on SMB's website. I'd like to make my vehicle as nice as possible on the inside.

Thanks for any ideas,

Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 AM   #2

It's hard to say without seeing the photo- you're fancy wood grain might be my tacky interior. However keep in mind that some people finish themselves and only go to SMB for the PH, and it is usually the ones who want real wood or something (although there was one built out with tool chests).
Old 09-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #3

Garage
Your post is vague. What is 'nice as possible'? I think mine is, but it may be ugly to others. Just explore all the choices your builder has and pick one that you like.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #4

Ok...sorry guys. I guess what I'm looking for is real wood. Oak or maple. Does SMB do that? I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the picture, but it is a darker photo so it could be anything.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I looked at a different style/color wood grain on a sprinter but it wasn't real wood. My opinion was it looked better than the typical wood pattern they normally use. I plan to add the picture to my album. SMB said it looks better if it's combined with other color patterns and I thought so too.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #6

Hi Trekk777,

So if you want real wood, SMB doesn't do it.
They recently tried using cherry plywood panels in a Dodge Sprinter.
I saw it at SMB in Fresno, and it looked o.k.
If you want real wood, do it yourself, or hire a carpenter to do it.

Posting a photo of what you saw may help with future replies from forum members.

Good luck with your build!

Zugg

Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

Ok, I hope no one is offended at me posting this image. I can't remember where I found it - may have been a vehicle for sale on SMB's site. I know it's dark, but this is about the best interior wood/leather combo I've seen on a Sportsmobile. If anybody knows what this is, please comment.

If you're the owner of this image and prefer it not to be displayed here, please let me know and we will remove it.

Thanks.

[/img]
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

My 2 cents

[quote:0bfafacba5="Trek777"] I guess what I'm looking for is real wood. [/quote:0bfafacba5]

Here is a question.

What does “real wood” mean to you?

Unless you are making cabinets out of solid stock material (real heavy), you are probably getting some type of veneer composite. In today’s box frame cabinetry, premium grade solid stock is used for face frame members, but rarely anything else. The sides of the case and solid (flush) door panels are typically made from composite board with a VERY thin piece of wood veneer. The veneer ranges in thickness from manufacturer and can be anywhere from 1/50", to 1/36". The core of the board is typically MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). There are plywood core veneers as well, but MDO is typically used even in premium grade cases. Everything has its ups and downs. Plywood core has voids that can shadow through the veneer, and is less stable than MDO for warp. MDO is heavier than plywood core, has less screw holding power than plywood, but “can” be a greener material. Both are susceptible to moisture if the raw edges are not properly sealed.

The material in my SMB is a solid color paper faced MDF. It’s a low pressure laminate (LPL) made from resin impregnated paper (Melamine) that is fused to the MDO core. The wood grain product SMB West offered is a also a LPL wood grain paper that is fused to the MDF core. There is not much performance difference between the two except when it comes to a wear test. Woodwork Institute (an Industry Standard Organization) states than solid color must withstand 400 cycles of some wear test, while the wood grain only needs to withstand 125 cycles. This means to me that the wood grain will wear through a lot quicker than the solid.

I’m just kind of rambling here, but if I was to build another vehicle on my own, I might look in a completely different direction. I would consider aluminum core composite veneer products like what is used in custom aircraft interiors. It’s REALLY expensive, but we are only talking a couple of sheets. The upside is that it is really lightweight. I think I would have a thin high pressure laminate (HPL) bonded to the core. I prefer solid color myself, but there is some really nice HPL (Formica) material out there. We are using #5904-5B Wild Cherry matte finish (visit their website) on a project and I will bet 95% of the visitors won’t know its not “real wood”.

So when you say you want real wood, are you sure?
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #9

Wow, I had no idea this was such a touchy/technical issue. I'm no expert on wood, so please forgive my ignorance. I guess I don't really care if it's pure wood all the way through or not, I just wanted a real oak or maple look that has reasonably good wear characteristics. Don't flame me for this, but as an example, I'd like something similar in appearance to what you would see in a Pleasure-Way rig.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #10

no flame intended
sorry if it read that way

Just wanted to point out what people think is "real wood" really isn't.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote