Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #11

Re: Quigley Steering Stabilizer/Damper

I've got the SMB 4x4 conversion so don't think what Quigley uses will fit.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Thanks for your efforts Mike. Totally different setup on my '07. Kinda weird, your photo looks like what's in my official Ford Service manual (which is 2 wheel drive of course) but way different from what's under my rig. SMB changed the whole thing I guess.
Looks like I'll have to make up a bracket to go on the frame and then use a clamp setup, like on the aftermarket kits, to fasten to the drag link. Again, my Ford book shows a bolt on bracket to the frame (I can probably order that) and then a U-bolt clamp setup to the drag link (no bolt hole on mine). I'll have to check for clearance under there too.
Again, thanks....
Scatter,

If you didn't notice, Mike has a Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion (w/front coils), so it's unlikely anything would be similar to yours.

Herb
Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #13

Ok, I spoke to my local 4x4 guys. They all use the Rancho stabilizers because it's inexpensive, works the way it's supposed to, and has a lifetime warranty.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #14

Ahhh jeeez, now I've got something else to do. Thanks for all the info guys.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler

If you didn't notice, Mike has a Salem Kroger 4x4 conversion (w/front coils), so it's unlikely anything would be similar to yours.
The steering link is an F350 part, so the steering stabilizer bolts right in. One advantage of using Ford parts. And I can buy a replacement almost anywhere - may have to wait for delivery, though.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I replaced mine with a skyjacker # 7099, with a universal u-bolt clamp mount, it works. Rancho will work as well, although with a Bilstein or any other gas charged shock, you will have to go with a dual stabilizer setup, as they are gas charged, mounted up opposing one another, otherwise you will have a van that pulls to the right (or is it left). Dual stabilizers are good if you are running tires over 35" or see lots of off road action, otherwise singles work just fine.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #17

i too am looking for some stabilization in my world. i was at the del mar fairgrounds over the weekend for the car show and bilstien had a huge set up there for all their shock applications off and on road and several reps. i was told they won't have stabilizers on the market until later in the year. they redesigned some of the models so they would withstand the rigors of offroading. it will be a single shock application.
2013 Honda Insight hybrid
jochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #18

Well, I installed a steering stabilizer on the van yesterday! The job only took and hour and a half. The real hassle was trying to figure out what kit to get to fit the SMB conversion. I spent a LOT of time on-line looking for info on what would fit what. All the kits are set up for a specific vehicle and there's really no info on a custom set-up. I called Rancho and a couple of other's, and all they could tell me was that each kit was vehicle specific and could not help me with what the various brackets looked like. I also went to Summit Racing in Reno and they opened several boxes so I could look at what various kit's brackets looked like. Nothing was close to what I needed and Summit was getting a little testy with me tearing into all the boxes so I got out of there before I was thrown out. That's always so embarassing....

I ended up back on the computer looking at the Skyjacker site and they have the installation instructions posted for their kits and that helped me narrow things down. I called them and those guys are SUPER. I told him what I was trying to do and gave him the number of several of their kits and he agreed that one of those sounded like it might work. I was concerned on some of the U-bolt sizes and bracket lengths and he said he check them out and call me back. He did, and after all that he wouldn't sell to me. Said I needed to go thru one of their distributors so back on-line and I ordered the Skyjacker kit #7220 from https://www.autopartsway.com Cost was $103.88 to my door.

It fit like it was made for the rig except (there's always an except) the U-bolts for the tie rod brackets are for a 1-1/4" diameter rod and our beefy tie rod is 1-1/2". All I had to do was spread the U-bolt a little and it fit over the tie rod and the bracket was slotted (for multiple applications?) so the bolts still fit the bracket. The shocks come real close to the tie rod, but don't hit so all seems to be good. Now I know this is a long post, but some of you guys will prrobably use this info and seeing as how I spent a zillion hours figuring out what kit to get, I figured I'd make you listen to what I went thru
So, here's a few of photos what it looks like.

Here's the stock front end

The Front Center Bracket

The Left Tie Rod Bracket

Finished from the Front

From the Side

I took it for a drive and it REALLY helped (hell, it eliminated) the little bit of steering wander that was left after installing the Deaver springs. I'm happy with the way it fit and worked and have always felt that a rig with 35" tires should have a steering stabilizer anyway.
So, there ya have it.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 05-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Scatter, All I can say is Thank You! I've been wanting to do that for a long time. I put a single on my truck and it made a big difference.
Question, it didn't limit any turning radius at all correct?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Scatter,

Was this to solve an existing problem? or for enhancement of handling?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote