Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Re: Desert Parks Tour Trip Report

One of the best most informative trip reports ever...................THANK YOU

Fantastic trip thanks for the info. Filed for future reference.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #12

Having traveled all of these area's thru the years I can say Thank You for sharing . I have always marveled at the strength of conviction and shear guts that it took for our Forefather's and our Native Americans to not only traverse these trail's and game path's but actually flourish in this beautiful and hostile environment . Thank you and your Wife for the great blog and memorable photograph's Ed .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #13

Thanks for compliments CJ and Greggde. Yes I did think of the local Native Americans and early settlers in a place like Valley of Fire, which has no surface water, just desert potholes and tanks. How people found fresh water in such an extreme environment is amazing, and I'm just whining about finding cheap diesel!
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #14

Day Four – Afternoon

Driving down the western side of the Salton Sea, we pass through palm nurseries, vegetable farms and citrus groves and lots of heavy truck traffic. Sporty can out accelerate these heavy rigs at the many traffic lights, but they all pass us once they get rolling at 70mph plus.

We finally reach our turnoff at the Borrego-Salton Seaway and refuel at an big ARCO station. What gives with charging extra fees for using credit cards to purchase fuel here? I have never seen this before in the West.

We turn west on S22 and quickly reach the state park boundary and the Borrego Badlands. The Octotillo are in bloom, something I have seen only once and the expedition photographer has never witnessed. The bright red flowers and the rugged badlands make for some nice pics.

Leaving the badlands, we pass dozens of RVs boondocking to the north of the highway in the open desert. I take note of the campsites, but it’s really hot today (near 90F) to be sitting there out in the open.

We turn west on the Henderson Canyon road to see the flower display at the mouth of Coyote Canyon. The large expanse of flowers, mostly desert gold, are about a week past their peak, and many are dry and crispy when walked on. According to the website DesertUSA, the height of the bloom here was the second week of March and we are well into the third week at this point.

The caterpillars have emerged and they are everywhere in this field, munching the flowers as we photograph them. Here is a Dune Primrose and caterpillar.

And here is a single Sand Verbena and caterpillar.

The flower displays along Henderson Canyon road in Anza Borrego State park have become more than just famous and almost iconic of the southwestern deserts in springtime. Images of the mouth of Coyote Canyon are found everywhere desert wildflowers are mentioned and are only equaled in ubiquitousness by pictures taken in southern Death Valley National Park during the Big Bloom of Spring 2005. I feel lucky just to have seen the flowers past their peak.

We stop at a stand selling fresh oranges and get ten pounds of slightly over ripe fruit for $3. Nothing like fresh citrus!

It’s 5PM as we roll into the smaller campground just west of Borrego Springs, but we made reservations online at ReserveUSA.com a month ago to reserve a site for two nights. Lo and behold, there is an older couple camped in our site and they know nothing about reservations. Luckily, there are a couple of campsites still open, and we settle in to one next to the showers.

There are reserved signs on other occupied campsites, and I check at the ranger station the next day and find that our site was indeed reserved. Either the sign blew away or was taken down before we arrived. I have heard of several problems using ReserveUSA to check out campground and cabins, such as double booking and lost reservations and I think I will avoid using them in the future.

In any case we rest up in the evening as the shadows extend from the San Ysidro Mountains to prepare for an early morning hike up Borrego Palm Canyon
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #15

Terrific report and pics. Thanks for putting the time into this.
Rob
Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
Site Team

Great trip report.

I've seen some ARCOs that don't even accept credit cards, and they generally have long lines since people have to run into the store (usually twice), so I usually avoid ARCOs.

WRT, ReserveAmerica, they pissed me off quite a few years ago. I made camping reservations up near Big Bear, and a week or so before the reservation, wild fires raged through the area, and the National Forests were closed by the Forest Service. I contacted ReserveAmerica to get a refund, and they said no. They said the campground wasn't closed, only the National Forest. OK, the forest is only the reason that 99.9% of the people would camp in the campground! Nevermind the unhealthful conditions in the area due to the fires.

Herb
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 AM   #17

Herb, unfortunately, I have two more fun refueling stops with ARCO on the desert trip report coming up. I have never had a trip were fueling was such a pain, especially with long lines at the pumps. Heck you would think we had an oil embargo or something going on.

ReserveAmerica really needs to be reformed or taken out of the public campsite/cabin reservation business entirely. You can't afford to have so many problems with a major public service.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #18

Maybe I've been lucky, but we've never had a problem with ReserveAmerica. Well, except for the reservation fees. Still, I would avoid them if I could. But, in a lot of cases they are the only game in town. No choice except to show up and hope. And that won't work for any popular camping spots.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #19

Awesome trip, thanks for sharing.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #20

Thanks adventureduo! Us Sportsmobilers in the frozen North rely on you guys down South to tell us where to go to thaw out.