Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #51
Site Team

Re: Hal The Van

Do you paint houses? Seriously, that's a great job and a great write-up. Don't you just love how the prep and clean-up takes five times as long as the actually painting? Sounds like you did it right which should gives you years and years without any rust problems.

Herb

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #52
Site Team

Thanks Herb,
It definitely is all about the prep work. That's where all the time goes.

Dave

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #53
Site Team

Panel installation continued.

The first panel was to reach from the floor to the metal edge below the penthouse top. This measured out at 50 inches. Since the uncut fiberboard is 4' x 8' I cut the 50" lengthwise so the panel is 48" wide.
After this first panel I changed my mind about the length for the following panels. Instead of the floor I'll have the next panels stop at the metal lip that runs around the van about a inch from the floor.
Position the panel far enough to the left so it covers the "beam" that is to the right of the passenger side cargo door. Cut to fit.

The piece of panel that is removed from over the beam will be used later. I'll come back to it.

The insulated panel will be pushed up tight against the van wall. At this place in the van that's a inward bowing of 3 inches.
(The tape measure is upside down.)

I didn't insulate the top three inches of the panel to help reduce the bow by a 1/2 inch.

Along the van wall is a ridge the runs horizontally near the center line of the panel. I attached the panel to this. I predrilled then used #8 sheet metal screws. I'm using sheet metal screws in three lengths. 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2". I don't want to take a chance of putting a screw through the outer van wall so I'm using the shortest size that will hold. I'm probably being over-cautious.
At the moment I'm holding the panel in place with three screws. I'll probably add more later. Draw a line across the panel so You'll know where to position the screws.

With the first panel installed create a template for the next panel.

The template is 49" long but for economy's sake I'll use the 48" of the fiberboard and make up the final inch with just the foam. When I glued the foam to the fiberboard leave extra on the bottom then use the template to trim.

Install second panel.

Here is the bottom of the panel with the foam showing. Once it's covered with fabric it should look OK. You can see how it's resting on the ridge that runs around the van just off the floor.

One more thing. I forgot to not cover the top few inches of the second panel with insulation so it'll match the first panel. I found out what a good job the contact cement does while removing the already glued insulation.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #54

Thanks Dave for all the grate postings.
I am also doing a build, just hoping to obtain more information and technique before I start.
I noticed you haven't ran any electrical or plumbing, yet you're putting up wall panels. Did you plan on this? -Billy
2003 e350 ext. 7.3 psd, keeping it prerunner-added python remote start, buchwackers fenders, pro comp rims 17X9 steel, nitto grapplers AT 34s, camburg suspension 6", deaver rear springs, alluminess nerf, ladder, rear bumper, galley box, spare rack. Working on: arb on board air, rear locker, and 410 gearing.
12bproper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #55

I'm starting to think that's the way to go, personally, having just gotten my van back from the electrical work.

My insulation and paneling are going to be that much more of a hassle now - having to cut around the inverter and battery boxes, as well as the quads that I had installed.

Not the end of the world and, since I'm doing it myself, it'll be satisfying at some level, but it would actually have been easier to have just insulated and paneled the whole thing first, then installed this stuff.

Oh well, we live and learn.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #56
Site Team

Thanks Billy,
My plan is to put up wall panels first because I don't have a complete plan. I have a rough idea where everything should go. I've never been in a class B camper before so I'm not sure how it will "feel" once I start adding elements. I'm going to start with the main element, the sofa-bed, and build from there. All the main electrical components, charger - inverter - solar controller - batteries, will sit under the sofa-bed so I'll have that all taken care of first up.

The Ford van has that metal lip that runs around the entire cargo section about an inch up from the floor. I'm building the wall panels to the top of that lip so I can always run flexible conduit under the lip. The passenger side of the cargo section will get a single 12v and 110 volt power feed under the floor. The cabinets on that side will have their own fuse panel and I can run the wiring through the cabinets. Same with the plumbing.

If I need to run a wire up the wall I'll just unscrew a panel, run the wire then put the panel back.
Anyway, that's the plan so far.
Dave

Quote:
having just gotten my van back from the electrical work.
Hey Nomadcat,
We want pictures!

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 01-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #57
rnj

Hey Dave,

I did my step wells with reflectix, waited until I stayed in it to report back.

Couldn't figure out how to remove the carpet part Sportsmobile adds to extend the floor by the rear side door so had to slide pieces in in lieu of removing it. It does make a difference but plastic steps still get pretty cool. I have a carpet bed liner (black) with adhesive back that I ordered years ago from JC Whitney for a Ford Courier that I never used. I'm going to cut it up to fit over the plastic on the side & step portions to see if that helps even more. Staying in the van in 20 degree and less nights lets you know where the the cold areas are.

I have also been putting fabric over some of the hard surfaces in the van which makes a difference on sufaces feeling cold. I think your planning on doing that on your side panels. Your doing a great job.

Randy
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #58

Ya Dave, liking you attitude of just going for it. Starting to think this is the way to go.
2003 e350 ext. 7.3 psd, keeping it prerunner-added python remote start, buchwackers fenders, pro comp rims 17X9 steel, nitto grapplers AT 34s, camburg suspension 6", deaver rear springs, alluminess nerf, ladder, rear bumper, galley box, spare rack. Working on: arb on board air, rear locker, and 410 gearing.
12bproper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #59

Hey Dave,

I am following your build closely, as I am just behind you with my build. Got the sound dampening pretty well done. Hope to get the floor done today, insulate tomorrow, put the bed in Wednesday and try it out Friday. I will run some wiring but I'm not going to worry about plumbing and propane because I will make the wall panels removable. Once the big items are located then I'll figure out how to hook everything up. It's just the way I do things.

Good luck
keep the pictures coming

Rick
02Chevytonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #60

I am going to walk the dog and take photos of the electrical install soon. I'll try to post the photos by the end of the day. My interior is filled with crap, so you'll have to excuse the mess.