Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #31

Re: Sheneeda, The van

Oh yeah,

the new height inside is 6' 7" right now. Thats measured off of the sub floor (+ 1 1/2" from original van floor). Exterior height is now 9' 10". DOH!

I will have to rig up some lighting inside for a headroom photo.

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #32

I started building an underfloor rear storage box tonight. I am using 3/4" plywood to build the box. Then I plan to put angle steel inside on all the corners. Finally I will fiberglass the outside with one layer everywhere and 2 layers on all the corners. The glass will be for both strength and water resistance. Approximate dimensions are 21"H x 35"W x 27"L

Here is the box mostly assembled for fitting under the van. I left two top pieces out for now so I can install the angle steel brackets if everything fits.

I painted the inside faces with oil based paint before assembling. If it all works to the plan, the opening that pokes up through the floor will get a flange installed all the way around the opening with angle steel and screws. The front facing portion of the box will get through bolted to the van's frame cross-member using bolts and some type of body mount rubber (maybe hockey pucks) between the box and cross member.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #33

I'm a bit confused... where will this storage box go in the van? Am I missing something obvious?
Zaskoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #34

Generally, the spare must be moved to the back of the van and underfloor storage boxes fit where the spare used to be.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Generally, the spare must be moved to the back of the van and underfloor storage boxes fit where the spare used to be.

Mike
What He Said.

There will be an access hatch in the floor at the rear of the van. This box will live where the spare used to live (under the van).
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #36

Are you going to add some form of drain?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:14 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Are you going to add some form of drain?
Yes. I will drill a hole or two in the bottom, and use some sort of rubber plug. I was thinking I could use the type that you see in the transom of motor boats. j
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #38

Tonight I cut out the old spare tire carrier under the rear of the van. It was not as heavy as it looked. I raised the storage box up into place for a test fit, before I fiberglass the outside. It needed trimming so I took it apart and narrowed it by 3/4" It fit before, but would not have fit after fiberglass- I guess I got a little carried away with the overall dimensions. after ripping down the width of the box, I jacked it back up into place. It fits good now except I'm not sure about the depth. It will go up about 1 1/2" more than in the picture (after I cut out the van floor).

Even though I measured before I built the box, it seems shockingly low seeing it in place. Any one have a picture of theirs installed? Or a measurement?

It looks like a couple of bolts through the sides of the box and through the side supports of the reese hitch would be easy additions to my original plan.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #39

Hmmm yes it does look a bit low down... Have you thought of making it slope up at the rear?
The side closest to the axle could be lower and the rear higher to avoid catching when off road...
Just an idea...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #40

yes I am thinking about leaving the full depth toward the front end and then cutting the rear lower corners off at a 45 degree angle.

Building a camper van is all about compromises...