Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER & TOILET

Hey Guys,

Reaching out to the group for some help with our Sprinter EB design.
Trying to work out the toilet/shower part of the design.
The van is just for my wife and I.
We are more in favor of foregoing a set toilet/shower combo stall since I'm tall and don't fit very well in the confined space. Considering just going with a marine toilet mounted in the back, which we've seen some others have already done. Would also like to add a shower option in the back.
Anybody have any input on doing this and how it's worked out?
We want to have the shower wand installed in the corner near the toilet so it can used outside as well. I'm a windsurfer & surfer so I plan to make use of that a lot for rinsing off.

Appreciate the design help.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
design 02 with shower area.jpg  

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

How often will you want to rinse inside the van as opposed to outside?

If it's cold enough to have to be inside the van, is it not going to be worth the cramped shower to be inside?

SMB has an inside shower that attaches to the top and is basically a conical shower curtain that ends in a tray. Surfgeek33 (ray) modified the tray: http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682 to drain instead of just collect- I'd think something like that drained to the outside solely for rinsing would be a good solution.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #3

Consider using a porta potty instead of the marine toilet. The porta potty can be stowed when not in use and this will free up the space now occupied by the marine toilet.
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
How often will you want to rinse inside the van as opposed to outside?

If it's cold enough to have to be inside the van, is it not going to be worth the cramped shower to be inside?

SMB has an inside shower that attaches to the top and is basically a conical shower curtain that ends in a tray. Surfgeek33 (ray) modified the tray: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2682 to drain instead of just collect- I'd think something like that drained to the outside solely for rinsing would be a good solution.
Thanks for your input jage.
rinsing inside vs outside will be weather dependent. hard to say on the ratio and frequency.
I've used a solar shower many years by myself just wearing swim trunks but my wife wouldn't be comfortable going this route. I wish I had more answers on how we're going to use it but won't know until we take some trips. That's why I was wondering what others do for showers. I realize that everyone is different on how often they shower, at home or while camping.

With the 75" high ceiling of the Sprinter I think there will be ample room to stand for me being in the middle aisle. With the shower stalls against the side of the van, the curvature of the van really reduces the head room so sitting is the only option for showering for me, but those stalls would be too small for me even in that mode.

Thanks for directing me to surfgeeks thread. I think I checked that out once before but had forgotten about it. Will add it to my design notebook I'm keeping. Too many ideas and notes for my feeble brain to remember. I like what surfgeek did. Very clever design.

I understand that SMB can add a shower pan into the floor of the van that has a cover that is level with the surface of the floor. Don't know how evasive that is but it's sure a slick idea. Would just have to work out a shower curtain option. I could add the shower later too after we've take a few trips to see what we really require.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL
Consider using a porta potty instead of the marine toilet. The porta potty can be stowed when not in use and this will free up the space now occupied by the marine toilet.
thanks for your input Rick. your point is well taken.
we've considered a porta-potty vs the marine toilet. I've wavered a few times on this.
I guess there's a lot of pros and cons to each option.
We've got the space available for a dedicated toilet area so I figure why not go with the marine toilet. We don't need the cabinet around the toilet for privacy since it's just the two of us and the back door will screen one end and opening the closet door will screen off the front area.
The porta-potty seems like a child's training toilet to me. It's nice to have a nice solid throne, no?
Isn't that what separates royalty from the serfs?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL
thanks for your input Rick. your point is well taken.
we've considered a porta-potty vs the marine toilet. I've wavered a few times on this.
I guess there's a lot of pros and cons to each option.
We've got the space available for a dedicated toilet area so I figure why not go with the marine toilet. We don't need the cabinet around the toilet for privacy since it's just the two of us and the back door will screen one end and opening the closet door will screen off the front area.
The porta-potty seems like a child's training toilet to me. It's nice to have a nice solid throne, no?
Isn't that what separates royalty from the serfs?
Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the
location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the
ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.

Robert
rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerobert
Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.Robert
hope you learned a lot visiting SMBW. Any pics to share?

I never really considered the issues in accessing the drain valve. Good point.
I wonder if it matters if your holding tank is inside vs outside in where they locate the drain.
The lower the tank the lower the drain, right?
McD's okay with you sliding into their restroom to do that when in town?

maybe others can weigh in that have a marine toilet in a Sprinter and are experienced in visiting the dump station. can't image that's a pleasant task regardless of what type of toilet you have.
What's it like dumping a porti-potti tank and where is that often done?

I wonder what type of residual smell can get back into the van with either toilet solution or is that not an issue?
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerobert
Visited SMB Fresno last week. Was thinking of going the marine toilet route till we saw the location of the dump valve. It is very low and with running boards almost have to lay on the ground to access it. Don't know if you have been in very many dump stations -- but they can
be pretty --- lets say --- dirty.Robert
hope you learned a lot visiting SMBW. Any pics to share?

I never really considered the issues in accessing the drain valve. Good point.
I wonder if it matters if your holding tank is inside vs outside in where they locate the drain.
The lower the tank the lower the drain, right?
McD's okay with you sliding into their restroom to do that when in town?

maybe others can weigh in that have a marine toilet in a Sprinter and are experienced in visiting the dump station. can't image that's a pleasant task regardless of what type of toilet you have.
What's it like dumping a porti-potti tank and where is that often done?

I wonder what type of residual smell can get back into the van with either toilet solution or is that not an issue?

Took 2 cameras took 0 pics! Yes learned a lot. Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs. The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty.
It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.

Robert
rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #9

porti pottie vote

jmho
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
porti pottie votejmho