Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #11

Re: SPRINTER DESIGN HELP - SHOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuerobert
Took 2 cameras took 0 pics!
ha ha. funny

Quote:
Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs.
your head must have been spinning after leaving there.

Quote:
The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty. It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.
I wonder if that's a MBenz restriction on where they can cut into the van. putting so low that you have to lie down to get to doesn't seem very user friendly.
What model PP are you considering now?
Do you have a prelim design you want to share or is it back to drawing board?

windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #12

I empty my Porta-Pottie into any toilet. Then rinse and empty. Then I'm ready to go (pun intended).

It's easy to empty. The P-Ps have a swing out spout for emptying and it makes it much cleaner to use.

SMB furnished the electric flush P-P with our van, and it is quite nice. The batteries have not been changed since new in 2004 and it still flushes nicely.

I think it is easier to empty the P-P than to empty a holding tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Quote:
Took 2 cameras took 0 pics!
ha ha. funny

Quote:
Got a tour by Alan the owner, then sat down With Jeff talking discussing etc. for 4 hrs.
your head must have been spinning after leaving there.

Quote:
The black tank thing just happened to show up just as we were finishing. Through us for a loop. Looks like porta-potty is very easy to use as well as empty. It seems that the placement of the black drain cannot be moved. At least cannot move it to a higher position.
I wonder if that's a MBenz restriction on where they can cut into the van. putting so low that you have to lie down to get to doesn't seem very user friendly.
What model PP are you considering now?
Do you have a prelim design you want to share or is it back to drawing board?
Plan in constant flux. Just going to substitute PP for toilet.
Folks there are very nice. All the info seems to be good i.e. no waffeling, evasions etc.
Tons of info, almost too much for one day.

Very cool folks.

Not sure about restrictions on location of tank valves. Do understand if one only has a grey tank then there is a little more flexability about its location. That is what we are going to do.

Robert
rescuerobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I empty my Porta-Pottie into any toilet. Then rinse and empty. Then I'm ready to go (pun intended).

It's easy to empty. The P-Ps have a swing out spout for emptying and it makes it much cleaner to use.

SMB furnished the electric flush P-P with our van, and it is quite nice. The batteries have not been changed since new in 2004 and it still flushes nicely.

I think it is easier to empty the P-P than to empty a holding tank.

Mike
Mike, if you're on the road and need to empty the PP tank, where do you do that?
What model PP do you have or is that asking something too personal?

I guess some places charge ~$8- to use the dump station or sometimes free if you camp there.
Would like to hear some input from others.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #15

this is turning into a toilet chat.

this link to Thetford's site show they have lots of options http://www.thetford.com/HOME/Applicatio ... fault.aspx
Does Thetford own Norcold since it shows those products too?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by windguy
Mike, if you're on the road and need to empty the PP tank, where do you do that?
What model PP do you have or is that asking something too personal?
I guess some places charge ~$8- to use the dump station or sometimes free if you camp there.
Would like to hear some input from others.
I go several days between emptying the P-P. And I'd rather dump it 1/3 full than wait until it is heavy and full - so I dump it when I have facilities: campground (dump station or restroom), rest area, gas station, home toilet. To be honest, I've never had trouble finding a legal place to empty it.

I don't know what model I have, and I'm too lazy to go out and check right now. The only electric model Thetford shows is a model 465, so maybe that is it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #17

Thanks Mike. Good info.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #18

We've dumped ours in campsite pit toilets before, but essentially any toilet should do. I would tend towards a deserted rest stop over a busy Walmart, but if you want to be really rude you could dump it over somebody's windshield. Basically anywhere you could dump a bucket of slop.

As far as smells, there is more odor from carrying the sani-blue in just about any form (some are worse than others- go with individual pillows over bottles) than from the thetford itself. There is some issue with use if the weather is inclement and you're not traveling alone... ours essentially is in the living room when not stored.

Lastly my thetford leaks. From the fresh water tank thankfully, but the electric pump was installed on mine with plumbing putty and nothing else. Now I wouldn't put it past the previous owner to jury rig this, especially in this manner, but mine is currently in pieces and there is no clear way to fix it.

Again, I'm not sure how everybody has 100% clean sanitary dumps unless I'm doing things wrong. I avoid dumping while on the road as much as possible because I have limited shower access in case of bad splashback. The sani-blue alone can be horrible nasty stuff just from the smell and I imagine it stains like nobody's business.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #19

thanks Jage.
do I see a new Thetford under the xmas tree for you?
I get the feeling that using one of these is an experience everyone must embrace and first jumping to a marine toilet just wouldn't be right.
I guess it's back on the toilet fence for us.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I avoid dumping while on the road as much as possible...
then why do you need a toilet?

Yes, I've take us down into toilet humor, please forgive me.