Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
What winches fit Aluminess Bumper?

Been looking at 12,500lb winches for my rig. They all seem to be 10+ inches tall and the bumper is only 9.75". What winches are SMBers using?

Thanks
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Re: What winches fit Aluminess Bumper

I'm using Mile Marker in my bumper-12500#. I understand that's what the Army uses. No offense to those using others.
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: What winches fit Aluminess Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgars
I'm using Mile Marker in my bumper-12500#. I understand that's what the Army uses. No offense to those using others.
I'm looking at a Mile marker VSX12 with the remote mounting control box. Should easily fit. http://www.milemarker.com/products/xseries.html

It looks like all the really heavy duty (15-16.5k lb) winches are foot forward mounted that will fit in the Aluminess bumper opening, but need to bolt to something besides the thin aluminum front of the bumper.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Re: What winches fit Aluminess Bumper?

I know a bunch of folks use the warn M12000. It is about the same price on Amazon and Warn has an excellent reputation. I have been doing the internet research too and by all reviews point towards a Ramsey or Warn winch.

Someone did get a m16000 stuffed into the bumper and they had to relocate the box or turn it around somehow? However in a previous thread the point was brought up that it is still thin aluminum bumper material you are bolting too and with a powerful winch like a 16 you can damage your vehicle.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Call Aluminess?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

I have a Mile Marker 12K on my Jeep. Solid but slow like a 56K modem. Don't know how it compares to the Warn 12K, my last Warn was a HS9500.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I have a warn 12K powerplant, with the built in compressor. I had a new cover made to fit over the winch. We were able to use the original lock with the new cover.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Hello everyone,

It is possible to fit the Warn 16.5 winch in our front bumpers. I attached some instructions about how to clock the winch to mount to the current mounting holes that are in the bumper. We are very confident that our bumpers are able to handle the load of the winch mounted in that location. If you have any questions give us a call or send us an e-mail.

Thanks!

Kenny Gorham
Aluminess Products, Inc
619-449-9930
aluminess@sbcglobal.net
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Warn 16.5k winch clocking and conroller mounting.pdf (194.7 KB, 84 views)
aluminess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminess
I attached some instructions about how to clock the winch to mount to the current mounting holes that are in the bumper.
Is it safe to clock a winch that was made to mount feet first? I'm not clear on how it's ultimately mounted into the bumper- 4 grade 8 bolts at 4468 lbs each is barely 16K and that's straight shear, nothing complex.

But just fitting the holes and having strong enough bolts was never the issue as I understood it- the front of the housing case is made to withstand the force. If you clock it so the force of the drum goes against one of the other walls then you're defeating the purpose of the front feet mount, no? If Warn or other manufacturers designed the tertiary casing walls to withstand the full force of the drum under load- why make it foot first mount anyway, why doesn't Warn just put 6 bolts in the foot plate and call it a day? It would fit a lot more applications that way.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminess
I attached some instructions about how to clock the winch to mount to the current mounting holes that are in the bumper.
Is it safe to clock a winch that was made to mount feet first? I'm not clear on how it's ultimately mounted into the bumper- 4 grade 8 bolts at 4468 lbs each is barely 16K and that's straight shear, nothing complex.

But just fitting the holes and having strong enough bolts was never the issue as I understood it- the front of the housing case is made to withstand the force. If you clock it so the force of the drum goes against one of the other walls then you're defeating the purpose of the front feet mount, no? If Warn or other manufacturers designed the tertiary casing walls to withstand the full force of the drum under load- why make it foot first mount anyway, why doesn't Warn just put 6 bolts in the foot plate and call it a day? It would fit a lot more applications that way.
You are correct about the sheer of the bolts when it is bolted through the bottom. We also provide a bracket that attaches the winch to our back plate with a couple more bolts. So in addition to the 4 bolts through the bottom, you also have 2 more bolts through the back. With this design the winch helps to strengthen the bumper by creating another spot where the bottom and back plates are tied together, and it also takes stress off of the four bolts that mount through the bottom.

We have put winches mounted like this to the test. One of our customers got buried in some thick mud on a beach up to his axles, and instead of digging he decided that he would just try and winch himself out. He broke the steal cable and had zero problems with the way the winch was mounted. Pictures of how stuck he was can be seen on our website here. http://aluminess.com/winches.htm

Warn makes foot down mounted winches in the 12k lbs rating that fit in our bumper with no problems. With one of those winches and a snatch block you can get yourself out of pretty much anywhere. Some people insist on a 16.5 winch so we did a bunch of research and came up with the solution above.
aluminess is offline   Reply With Quote