Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #21

Re: Other Penthouse Roof Manufacturers??

Probably 50# if you don't have anything on the roof. If you are tall enough (5' 8"?) to get your shoulder under it, the thing goes up pretty easily.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
The roof is 300 pounds with nothing packed on top of it.
That's a lot of roof.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #23

So how do you like your GTRV? I am leaning toward the GTRV "penthouse" style top. I have read way too many posts from SMB owners complaining about their PH leaking. Did you get the full conversion or just the top? A T top or the V top? Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
AHuey,

I saw your van at GTRV when I dropped mine off. Mine's the silver EB cargo van - you may have seen it. Roy just pulled it inside a week and a half ago (probably just after yours left) and started chopping. Should be ready by mid-July.

Glad to hear you like the top.

Brent
Whitely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #24

What I can't understand is how they sell vans when you call them and they won't tell you how much it costs. You have done that, haven't you?
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
What I can't understand is how they sell vans when you call them and they won't tell you how much it costs. You have done that, haven't you?
Yeah I sent tthem an e-mail and Mike from Sebastopol responded right away. Then I asked a couple more questions and he responded quickly again with price estimates etc. I had no problems with them. As a matter of fact it was partially due to reading your previous posts on another thread complaiining about your frustration with the SMB PH top leaking that is influencing me to go with a GTRV top instead of SMB. Go figure.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitely
again with price estimates etc.
So....

were you like sworn to secrecy on the price estimates?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #27

Okay, here is some additional firsthand info. We've had our GTRV for just over two years (2008 E350 EB, V10; converted spring/summer 2009). We have a T-Top (same as the photos posted earlier); they also make a V-Top, which is hinged at the back like a VW Westfalia top.

Here are a few other threads with info and photos of our van and roof:
GTRV Conversion on a Ford E350 EB
Wanting to see or get info on GTRV V/T Top

First of all, I completely agree with van2gogh. The top is very stout and I have no concerns walking on it. There is absolutely no creak or flex (I'm just shy of 200 lbs). In contrast, when climbing on my previous '89 Westfalia, I had to be very careful where I stepped or there would be considerable flex and cracking.

Not sure of the weight of the top, but it isn't light. As van2gogh mentioned, it is hand-laid fibreglass; I believe there are 10 or 12 layers of 'glass, plus the mahogany plywood & ribs. The gas struts work very well, but just like the SMB springs, they have to be matched to the weight on the top. When we first picked up the van, the only thing on top were Yakima tracks and two cross bars. With very little effort, I could push the top up about 10 cm and it would raise the remainder on its own. After adding a RocketBox, it requires a little extra push to raise it. And with 4 or 5 pairs of skis in the box, I usually ask my wife for a little help. Once up, I use 1½" wooden dowels to secure the top. I am planning to get a solar panel or two installed at some point, and will either upgrade the struts or add a second pair to match the dead weight.

Quote:
OK you GTRV owners, you guys are holding out on the big secret. Just how much does one of these things cost? Does GTRV install just the PH or do you have to do a full conversion?
I believe that GTRV will add just a top, but have not confirmed this. Regarding costs, here are my relevant costs from two years ago.
  • Standard conversion (including V-Top, propane, stove, fridge, etc.) ....... $21,496
    Surcharge for T-Top ............................................ $599
    Surcharge for extended body/extended roof .......... $1999
    Surcharge to match paint to van colour ............... $987

No idea what just a top would cost. Costs are in Canadian - remember if converting to USD that your peso is worth less than ours at the moment.

Quote:
I like the idea of their "weekender" layout but, alas, no pics or any indication of how big the bed is.
We specifically ordered a full Queen (at the expense of a narrower storage unit).

Quote:
I like that the GTRV makes less noise and is flush with the top but the bed is better suited for children.
I'd somewhat agree with this statement, but I'll clarify that the width is sufficient (probably similar to an SMB) but the height is limited. I can't sit up in the top bunk without bending my head to the side. Anyways, my four year old has already claimed it as a playroom (and eventually his bedroom).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
again with price estimates etc.
So....

were you like sworn to secrecy on the price estimates?
I posted earlier on this thread that the full "Westy" conversion would be in the high 20's depending on options and the" Weekender" would be in the high teens to low 20's. I didn't ask for the price of just a top but he said they do that as well.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
Okay, here is some additional firsthand info. We've had our GTRV for just over two years (2008 E350 EB, V10; converted spring/summer 2009). We have a T-Top (same as the photos posted earlier); they also make a V-Top, which is hinged at the back like a VW Westfalia top.

Here are a few other threads with info and photos of our van and roof:
GTRV Conversion on a Ford E350 EB
Wanting to see or get info on GTRV V/T Top

First of all, I completely agree with van2gogh. The top is very stout and I have no concerns walking on it. There is absolutely no creak or flex (I'm just shy of 200 lbs). In contrast, when climbing on my previous '89 Westfalia, I had to be very careful where I stepped or there would be considerable flex and cracking.

Not sure of the weight of the top, but it isn't light. As van2gogh mentioned, it is hand-laid fibreglass; I believe there are 10 or 12 layers of 'glass, plus the mahogany plywood & ribs. The gas struts work very well, but just like the SMB springs, they have to be matched to the weight on the top. When we first picked up the van, the only thing on top were Yakima tracks and two cross bars. With very little effort, I could push the top up about 10 cm and it would raise the remainder on its own. After adding a RocketBox, it requires a little extra push to raise it. And with 4 or 5 pairs of skis in the box, I usually ask my wife for a little help. Once up, I use 1½" wooden dowels to secure the top. I am planning to get a solar panel or two installed at some point, and will either upgrade the struts or add a second pair to match the dead weight.

Quote:
OK you GTRV owners, you guys are holding out on the big secret. Just how much does one of these things cost? Does GTRV install just the PH or do you have to do a full conversion?
I believe that GTRV will add just a top, but have not confirmed this. Regarding costs, here are my relevant costs from two years ago.
  • Standard conversion (including V-Top, propane, stove, fridge, etc.) ....... $21,496
    Surcharge for T-Top ............................................ $599
    Surcharge for extended body/extended roof .......... $1999
    Surcharge to match paint to van colour ............... $987

No idea what just a top would cost. Costs are in Canadian - remember if converting to USD that your peso is worth less than ours at the moment.

Quote:
I like the idea of their "weekender" layout but, alas, no pics or any indication of how big the bed is.
We specifically ordered a full Queen (at the expense of a narrower storage unit).

Quote:
I like that the GTRV makes less noise and is flush with the top but the bed is better suited for children.
I'd somewhat agree with this statement, but I'll clarify that the width is sufficient (probably similar to an SMB) but the height is limited. I can't sit up in the top bunk without bending my head to the side. Anyways, my four year old has already claimed it as a playroom (and eventually his bedroom).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brent

Thanks so much for the photos of your rig! Looks great! I love that you can put a fantastic fan in the top. Can't do that with a SMB PH. Can a full sized adult (or 2) sleep in the T top? What is the weight capacity? Have you had any problems with leakage? Anyway I really appreciate all the pics and info.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Can't do that with a SMB PH.
You mean except for this one? (LenS)

few more here of a different type:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6959&hilit=fantastic+fan