Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #541

Re: Hal The Van

R2-cool2. ?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #542

R2-B cool

We are near the top of another page.
Thanks WVvan for all of your posts.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #543

wwvan....im using an LG portable as well... model LP0711WNR

http://www.homedepot.com/LG-Electronics ... reId=10051

i find that the actual vent hose is the biggest culprit in getting the most out of these things....its huge and the hot air radiates from it quite a bit....i havent thought up a way to conveniently insulate it yet...i have to break down the unit every morning to drive to work to im wrestling with those logistics...

i attached the hose to my fantastic fan with a circular piece of xps insulation attached to the screen that snaps in to the fan housing... i find running the fan on 1 helps to move the air out faster but insulating that house would be a super improvement i bet
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #544
Site Team

I'm back from having used R2-BCool (Thanks for the name Ultrasport) at the beach for a few days. Like Cygvan wrote, the exhaust hose radiates a lot of heat. I'm sure wrapping it in Reflectix would help. But a bigger problem is that all the air it exhausts is being drawn from within the living space. Then that air is being replaced with outside air. The space inside the van never gets real cold. It only really cools you down if it's blowing the cold air it makes directly at you. It's best use was when I was sleeping since I'm not moving around much. It did help lower the humidity so it's better than nothing.

A more efficient arrangement would be to have a separate hose for outside air that is drawn into the unit then used to carry the heat away from the coils and exhausted back outside. Then the cold air in the van would be continually recycled and made cooler still.

I'll have to open it up and see if I can modifying it.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #545

Hal The Van

You could try replacing the exhaust hose with insulated flexible duct, http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Mater ... reId=10051

This is used all the time in building construction for hot and cold air ducts.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #546
Site Team

I'm been doing a lot of work on Hal without a break so overdue for a road trip. I hooked up my running water system along with R2-BCool, microwave and a Engel 12 volt fridge. Beside the water pump, everything else was mounted temporarily for this trip.

First stop, Roger Waters and "The Wall" in Philadelphia.

Then off to the beach.
Cape Henlopen, Delaware.

Back on the road. Maryland House Rest Area, I-95.
I wonder what it is about White Ford Vans that make them seek out each others company?

Fort Frederick State Park Maryland Campground.
Hal has scared away all the other campers. Or maybe it was just me.

If you're traveling west of Hagerstown Maryland on I-70 I can highly recommend Fort Frederick State Park. It's only a mile off the interstate. The Fort was built during the French and Indian Wars.

It housed British prisoners during the Revolutionary War and Civil War Federal Troops were stationed nearby who mixed it up with Mosby's Raiders. The C&O Canal passes through the park along with the Western Maryland Rail Trail. And the campground which sits on the banks of the Potomac River sure isn't overused.

On to what I learned about living in the upgraded van. Having running water for the first time is a real sea change! I've been tent camping for years and using the van as a glorified tent since I bought it. Up till now this was my idea of running water.

I would go three or four days with this single 2-1/2" gallon plastic gas can as my sole drinking water source. For this first trip I just filled up one of the 5 gallon water cans figuring that would last a while. WRONG. I was amazed at how fast I emptied out that first 5 gallons. When you have an electric pump, 5 gallons is nothing. Luckily I learned this lesson while staying at a campground and not while boondocking. Easily refilled the water can at the closest spigot. After that I was more mindful of my water usage.

This was also the first time I've used a fridge. The Engel model was great. It doesn't use much electricity even though I had it at the coldest setting. The noise it makes when running was somewhere between a low hum and a purr. Not the least bit distracting. I first realized how neat it was to have a real fridge when I was shopping and found myself doing the "only buy two days worth of cold food since that's when the ice gives out" calculation. Had to remind myself that's no longer the case. After testing that the freezer section in the fridge would make ice cubes in regular trays, not just the tiny one it came with, I tested it with a six pack of Klondike bars. It keeps the bars solid but not by much. Have to eat them fast once you remove it from the fridge. It will also freeze a one liter squeeze bottle solid.

Next up the microwave. I've read where some people don't use theirs but that won't be the case for me. Used it on a Hungry Man dinner, microwave pizza and some leftovers from a restaurant. This will be a keeper. The microwave I bought is a small 700 watt unit and my inverter and house batteries had no problem keeping up with it. If I was worried about the power drain on the house batteries I would just idle the van while the microwave was running. I posted the other day about having installed the ScanGauge II on the dash. It shows me using about 0.66 gallons an hour while idling. With current prices that works out to about .04 cents a minute. To heat the microwave pizza I made last night would have only cost .20 in gas if needing to run the engine.

I do see one problem with all my new conveniences. When the van was like a tent with a minimum of comforts it's easy to get going in the morning. Now it's a lot easier to just lay there and listen to the radio or get something to eat out of the fridge. I can definitely see a downside to all this.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
I've read where some people don't use theirs but that won't be the case for me. Used it on a Hungry Man dinner, microwave pizza and some leftovers from a restaurant. This will be a keeper. The microwave I bought is a small 700 watt unit and my inverter and house batteries had no problem keeping up with it. If I was worried about the power drain on the house batteries I would just idle the van while the microwave was running. I posted the other day about having installed the ScanGauge II on the dash. It shows me using about 0.66 gallons an hour while idling. With current prices that works out to about .04 cents a minute. To heat the microwave pizza I made last night would have only cost .20 in gas if needing to run the engine.
I'm with you on the Microwave!!!

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #548

Hal The Van

Sounds like a great shakedown cruise. Glad you are finely enjoying the comforts of your build.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #549

Hal The Van

Relaxation isn't always a downside, enjoy!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #550
Site Team

I've already posted about this project in another thread but am including it here in my main build thread for completeness.

After I installed a new radio I wanted to add a switch so I could choose to run the radio from the house batteries or the starting (van) battery. I've set it up so there is a singe SPDT momentary ((on)-off-(on)) switch that selects either power source. Once switched the radio runs completely off the selected source and draws no power from the other source. Not only does the radio not lose it's memory setting when switching between the two sources but if it's playing a song there is no audible clue that anything has changed.

To do the actual switching I'm using two 12 volt relays. These relays are rated for 16 amps while the radio is only fused for 10 amps so they should be robust enough. The relays are a dual coil latching type. Since they are latching, no power is required to keep them in the selected position after being switched which is different from a regular relay. That saves power usage and it's why I only need a momentary switch to activate them. I bought the relays for $4.66 each from Digikey. Here's the link.

The relays are made to be mounted to a circuit board. So I first drew up a schematic then soldered the relays to a small piece of stripboard which is type of prototyping circuit board. After soldering on the relays I added connecting wires.

After finishing with the soldering I was thinking of a how to protect the exposed wiring on the circuit board since it will be installed inside the dash. Thought about building a small plexiglass box when I had a "what if" idea and went looking for an old prescription bottle.

Son of a gun. It fits as if they were made for each other. I'll have to remember this idea. I added a couple vent holes to the bottom of the bottle.

Add connectors to all the wires. The connector is male or female depending on if it's hot or not.

For the circuit to work as planned I'll need a "hot on start" power source. According to my Ford EVT manual the plug that goes to the back of the stock radio should have such a wire. I looked and it doesn't. So trace the circuit back to the next connector which is number 201 located in the right kick panel of the passenger foot well. There are other connectors in the same area.

To work on the connectors use pliers to remove this black plastic pin.

That allows the connectors to swing out.

This must be connector 201 since it's the only one with this shape.

I'm interested in circuit #1000 which is a red wire with black stripe. Must be this one.

Cut the wire then check that it's hot on start. It is. The circuit dead ended at the connector so I wasn't too worried about cutting the wire free.

Put all the connectors back like I found them then run a new "hot on start" wire into the dash. Integrate the wiring into the radio plug adapter (right white) I used to plug the stock radio plug into the new radio plug (left black).

Here's the diode I use to stop switch selected coil voltage from back feeding to the starting circuit.

Here's how it works. When the van is sitting and not running the radio is dark. If I flip the switch down to "House" the radio lights up now being powered by the house battery. It's a momentary switch so the toggle snaps back to the center. The radio will stay powered from the house battery until I either flip the switch to "Van" or start the van. When I start the engine the radio automatically switches back to the van battery. That way I don't have to worry about switching the radio back to van and since it's a momentary switch I can never leave it in the wrong position. A rather bad habit of mine.

After I got everything wired up it actually worked right the first time. Surprised the heck outta' me. Well almost right. I'd wired up House and Van backwards on the switch but that's easy to fix. Just rotated the switch 180 degrees.

In practice I've found a neat use I hadn't planned on. When pulling into a parking spot and there is a song on the radio I want to hear the end of I just flip the selector switch to "House". Then after I turn off the ignition the radio keeps playing without missing a beat. It's now become a gas saving feature.

WWW.WVBIKE.ORG