Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #11

Re: Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

I have this:http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/i14t/ pricy because of the peddles but super tough hull. stores in a bag that fits behind my RB-50 Bench. I've had mine 3 years now. It also fits on my hitch carrier. An electric pump is a must.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #12

I have a bag my IK fits in for storage and travel. When it's not in use I try and leave it inflated hanging in my white water storage unit. There are several options for inflating them. I have a LVM pump that hoods up to a 12V car battery.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1707

I also have two different hand powered pumps. A Carlson hand pump.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1113

And a top off K-pump

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1113

I always take the top off pump on the boat when I'm on the river. I consider it part of my safety equipment. It's important to keep your boat good and stiff when your using it. A soft Ik, raft or cat doesn't handle as well as a good stiff one.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Also if you want even a cheaper version of a tandom kayak. I found this at REI outlet. It is also made by advanced design and is very similar to the one posted above but doesn't have the advanced tracking exterior and the stiff floor but for $415 it is a great price and comes with a pump and bag.

http://www.rei.com/product/832756/ad...ck-special-buy
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

Inflatable kayaks/canoes?

Dangit you guys! Now I'm gonna have to add another toy to my collection of van take-a-longs! If this keeps up I'm gonna have to buy a trailer!

I'd love to know Gnarvan's opinion, or any of the whitewater guys, of the 'toughness' of the REI one listed above. I'm not looking to do anything serious in a 2 man kayak, but is it capable of having some river fun in or is it basically for ponds and lakes?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #15

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Also if you want even a cheaper version of a tandom kayak. I found this at REI outlet. It is also made by advanced design and is very similar to the one posted above but doesn't have the advanced tracking exterior and the stiff floor but for $415 it is a great price and comes with a pump and bag.

http://www.rei.com/product/832756/ad...ck-special-buy
I really like the advanced elements models. The covertible model is a little bigger and heavier than I wanted. This one looks like a great compromise. Getting close to pulling the trigger, going to search Craigslist a little more before buying new.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #16

The only reason I didn't jump on the REI one I posted is because of the issue of no floor. In other words there is just a piece of foam between you and the water on the floor so it tends to taco fold some according to one reviewer. Hence why the other advanced elements posted above from Campmor is $625 because it has the floor and some other integral designs that make it work much better I am thinking. I am leaning towards the Campmor link rather than the REI link.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #17

Good call on not getting the one with a substantial floor. One big consideration for me is how high out of the water I sit. I'm on my 3rd IK and have test driven quite a few others. If you buy one without enough flotation for your size you will be sitting in the water all day. Tube size and floor design all contribute the the amount of flotation you have. You need to make sure you have enough flotation to keep the boat riding high enough so the water will drain out of the holes in between the side tubes and the floor.

Some of the less expensive IK's on the market will tend to taco on you. If your boat won't hold it's shape when you hit a wave you won't be able to remain in control. Once you loose control the odds are you will end up swimming. This isn't really an issue on flat water. Hull design is an important consideration for a flat water boat. You really need something with a well designed floor so the boat will track straight. If your boat doesn't track well you will be wasting a lot of energy making constant corrections while you paddle.

I'm not familiar with the material used in the constuction of the boats people have posted on this thread so I can't really comment on their toughness. I will say most of the damage inflatable boats get takes place when the boat is being transported. If you just roll up the boat and stuff it in your rig without putting it in a bag you run the risk of putting a hole in it due to the material vibrating against some surface. Boat bags are cheap insurance to keep your IK from sprouting leaks.

You can pick up an IK sized boat bag from Sotar for $41
http://www.sotar.com/boat-options-acces ... index.html

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #18

Thanks guys!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
Site Team

Bit off topic, but there's an interesting, rigid Jackson Coosa stand up fish out of kayak posted on ExPo. No affiliation.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... sa-Wyoming

I purchased this new in Jan. 11. I've had it on the water about 7 or 8 times. Basically it has been taken back home to Arkansas the last two summers and used on a memorial weekend float trip with my family. This is an excellent stand up fish out of kayak. My dad is 65 and on the heavier side and can be in his from sun up to sundown with the hi/lo seat. I have installed 3 scotty mounts that can be used with various accessories, IE. Pole Holders. Recently had a child so will be looking to help fund a Jackson Tuna. Asking $800, willing to meet in Fort Collins, possibly Loveland for SERIOUS buyers, otherwise I reside on FE Warren in Cheyenne.

Herb
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #20

You might want to consider an inflatable SUP. I have tons of kayaks but my kids love to paddle around on this
http://www.advancedelements.com/hula.html
Bought mine at REI outlet $600 bucks. I use it on lakes, the ocean, and rivers. Comes with paddle and pump. I'm selling my surf board to buy one more!
4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote