Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #971

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarvan

I've been looking at the portable version of the CKMTA12. I'd like to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle. Link to the portable model I'd like Santa to bring me for Christmas.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Twin-High-P ... 666C9.aspx
That's why I got the ExtremeAire Magnum Portable. I use it for the camper, boat, and off road toys too!

http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/5 ... essor.html

Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #972

I just put the clear side marker headlight lens on,and having the Extreme air and tank installed along with a set of Firestone air bags with a separate air pump.
That's enough for this month. Looking to install a 15k rope winch next month.

rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #973
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
What did you do to your SMB today?

Finally added a solar panel. We were having issues, again, with the house battery not taking or holding a charge, so I decided if I was going to replace that $400+ 4D battery again I was going to get a panel. I had been talking with a guy that does RV solar installs on the side (Randy at rvsolarstore). So after replacing my 4D with a nice new Deka, I dropped it off for the panel install. I did not want to drill and mount the panel to the fiberglass roof so I extended the Thule rails forward to accommodate the panel and be able to mount the panel to the rails, I saw that someone else posted up a similar panel mount system not to long ago as well. I was going to use aluminum angle to carry the panel but Randy figured out that his "smart feet" would bolt directly to the panel and into the tracks, great, saved me $50. I works like a champ and I'm happy with the install.

Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351083220.373686.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351083244.181308.jpg  
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #974

I just finished covering up some of the BIG holes SMB put in the floor of my van for the now-removed battery box drains. I've been meaning to do this for a while, ever since reworking my battery setup earlier this summer and removing the plastic battery boxes (see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9376).

I passively followed others' threads about mice getting in the van, and in the back of my head knew that was a big possibility since I had two big holes from the battery drains and one from where I removed the drain to the gray water tank. Last night my wife casually mentioned that she saw a mouse next to the SMB in the driveway. So, that made the project a bit more urgent.

I used some leftover sheet aluminum from when I capped my house fascia, silicone caulk to keep it tight, and self-tapping screws to screw the aluminum into the floor. Getting the aluminum to fit the curves and whatnot was a bit of a challenge, but it worked out.

I also cut a piece of screen to put behind the through-the-wall vent from the old battery boxes. Not sure how others' vans are set up, but mine just had the slotted metal vent and the slots were open to the inside. The small circle of screen I added should keep random bugs out.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #975

I wired in some stuff; been meaning to get around to this for a while.

Got a HarborFreight 400W inverter and put in wiring from the battery to beneath the passenger seat so I can easily use it to charge AC stuff that I want nearby while driving. I don't have an inverter built in, and my 120W was not up to the task of newer power hungry stuff. I can always run an extension cord if I need power in the back.

I also added a small controller and wiring for portable solar. Will try some spare panels I have (45W) and see if it's worth bringing. The wiring goes to the driver's side; again an extension cord if I need to put the panels somewhere more sunny.

Finally, while I was at HF I got some more of their "anti fatigue" floor mats. Basically just interlocking 2x2 foam squares. I use them to cover the floor. Easy to clean, good insulators, and nice and warm on stocking feet. Much better than the carpets I formerly used. Just chop them up to fit. I've also thought of using them for penthouse insulation instead of the foil-y bubble wrap type stuff I have in rolls.

Rob
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #976

New rear brake pads.

106K and the pads were about 2/3 gone. I guess I have to do this again every 100k or so miles.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #977

Extended my exterior shower hose. Thanks to Jack.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352179309.579299.jpg  
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #978

Installed a remote on/off switch and monitoring panel for my Trace Engineering (Xantrex) inverter/charger. The van came from SMB with just a simple on/off remote switch (RC4) but I've wanted a full remote panel for a while. I picked up an "RC6" remote panel on Ebay for a bit over $100 and installed it yesterday.

My inverter/charger is circa 1998, so finding out what worked with it and then finding the part was a bit of a challenge. Xantrex wasn't much help with recommendations when I called them. For those with a Trace Engineering RV1512 inverter/charger (1500 watts), apparently the RC6 is the latest remote you can use with it. If you have a Trace 2000 watt inverter/charger you can use the RC7, which is a much nicer remote with digital readout and more features.

Nice to be able to see the charging status and battery voltage now without lifting up the dinette seat! Next on the wish list is a battery bank "fuel gauge."

Note the place on the cabinet where the high-quality "wood" finish peeled off when I removed the Starcool instruction label.

Attached Thumbnails
RC6_remote.JPG  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #979

I did some work. Cleaned the whole outside yesterday. Today I purchased rubberized under coat spray along with plastic bumper paint. I took off the grille and cleaned it with simple green then sanded with fine paper the chrome and then cleaned off the dust. I sprayed about 6 layers of undercoat lightly and then taped off the chrome of the front bumper. Along with the grille and the front wheels and had to mask off under the bumper. I put about 5 coats on the plastic part of the bumper and after they both dried I used the black paint for bumper. I put the extra under coating in the wheel wells. I am having trouble putting photos up but ASAP I will. It looks really good. Until I can afford an aluminess front bumper this will do.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #980

The beginning of a new front end.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352267553.916827.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352267582.821427.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352267606.694660.jpg