Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

ScanGauge error with high MAP

For diesel SMB's with ScanGauge.

I discovered when my boost exceeds 36 PSI it reverts to Zero and continues to climb. And when that happens other parameters also change. For instance, MPG is dropping rapidly as boost approaches 36 PSI (when climbing a big hill) and when boost goes to 0.1 PSI, MPG jumps from 2.0 to 200+MPG.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this happen. So, I'm passing on the 'solution' for all to use.

Contacted Linear-Logic and they said a register was filling up and when it spilled over it affected several other parameters. So, they gave me a different way to measure boost using X-Gauge functions:

- TXD - 07E0221440
- RXF - 046285140640
- RXD - 3010
- MTH - 012203200000
- Name - PSI

I haven't tested it yet, because I need a bigger hill than I have around home. If I get to make it to Anza Borrego I will find out if it solves my issue. Probably it will work as it always should have.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Re: ScanGauge error with high MAP

Yep, seen this before on mine. Thanks for the fix!
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
For diesel SMB's with ScanGauge.

I discovered when my boost exceeds 36 PSI it reverts to Zero and continues to climb. And when that happens other parameters also change. For instance, MPG is dropping rapidly as boost approaches 36 PSI (when climbing a big hill) and when boost goes to 0.1 PSI, MPG jumps from 2.0 to 200+MPG.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has had this happen. So, I'm passing on the 'solution' for all to use.

Contacted Linear-Logic and they said a register was filling up and when it spilled over it affected several other parameters. So, they gave me a different way to measure boost using X-Gauge functions:

- TXD - 07E0221440
- RXF - 046205140640
- RXD - 3010
- MTH - 012203200000
- Name - PSI

I haven't tested it yet, because I need a bigger hill than I have around home. If I get to make it to Anza Borrego I will find out if it solves my issue. Probably it will work as it always should have.

Mike
Mike,
Just to clarify, are the new programming specs above for the BST or the MAP scanguage function?

When I programmed for BST, there was some calibration needed for the 6.0psd in the vans, I assume because the van motor puts out less power than the truck motor.

Thanks

Rob
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

These specs are for a reading same as MAP, but without the limit of 36 psi. The name is changed so it can be found. MAP is standard on ScanGauge and will still exist on the gauge. Linear Logic suggested PSI as a name, but you can use any 3 letter name you want. I'm not sure what will happen if you have two functions with the same name.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 11-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Mike,

What kind of boost pressure are you actually seeing? 36+ psi seems kind of high, but then again I don't have a 6.0L anymore.

Herb
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

Herb,

After it went to Zero, it went back up to 6 psi, or 42 psi total. Of course that is absolute, so minus 14 psi is about 28 psi of boost.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #7

On two separate occasions while our Van was be tuned on a Dyno we found several discrepancies with the Scan Gauges ability to monitor our 2007 6.0 TD , most alarming were the EGT and oil/water
temperatures . That was couple of years ago and I would hope that they had remedied this by now .
I gave our gauge to my Daughter for her Quigley and she never had issue one with the V-10 . I would imagine the problems were due to the difference's between the F Series TD and The E Series perimeters .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #8

I had the exact same problem, my solution was to put in a real boost gauge. I was fed up with seeing it bounce to 0 after 30-something, and also knowing that it was never 100% accurate due to it either ignoring atmospheric pressure (MAP reading) or using a constant for atmospheric pressure (PSI calculation).
The one time I actually needed a good boost reading to diagnose sticking vein problem, it was useless (for that particular reading), so I installed a trusted gauge.

In complaining about it shortfall as a boost gauge, I must say it's been fantastic with diagnosing & monitoring other issues & sensors.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #9

I would agree it does seem to be very accurate and beneficial for the V-10 Quigley in fact it help define a problem of poor fuel quality secured in Baker , California last year on a trip into Death Valley with all of my Children and their Families , once the fuel was depleted and replaced everything went back to normal !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

I wish I could report that the XGauge command has been tested, but I can't.

Just had surgery and don't really know when I will get the van back on the road.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper