Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

LED interior upgrades w/ part numbers

Well, given the VAST number of LED bulbs out there these days, plus the fact that you can get them everywhere and the quality certainly varies, I was pretty slow to make a decision on what I wanted to try in my van. Also, the little suckers aren't cheap! I went with Amazon, since I get free shipping there, and their reviews are top notch usually IMHO.

Also, I wanted to redo the white plastic housings I bought for the interior lights I've added. I used Lowe's Valspar rattle can primer and paint, and they turned out great. I had pretty good results with this on my last LED red/white long light that I put over my front seats, so I went about it the same way. Dismantle housings, scuff with 400 grit, prime and paint several coats. This paint isn't the specific plastic kind but it worked great anyway.

Ugly, cheap, hot, power hungry incandescent fixtures before (top of pic):

housings painted gray:

Here's the before/after of the bulbs. The LED ones I got are only a bit dimmer than the incandescents, but are much whiter in real life and with both bulbs on put out plenty of light. The lousy iPhone pic really doesn't do them much justice at all. The second pic of both LED bulbs shows their lighting better:

Here's the bulbs I got from Amazon. I almost went with SuperbrightLEDS.com but Amazon beat their price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the upgrade on the map lights over the front seats, and above the rear doors, a drastic improvement:

The whiter ones are the LEDs of course:

Here's the link to them on Amazon, also a better price than SuperbrightLEDs.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't done a real voltage drop test since I had shore power last week where I camped, but I should have some boondocking trips this summer to see how much better they do. I know that they are all totally cool burning now, even after being on for quite awhile, and I will never have to hound the family about shutting doors and turning off lights anymore. I'm all LED now, except for 2 exterior lights. I'm going with brighter bulbs on them, as bright as I can find.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Re: LED interior upgrades w/ part numbers

Wow great prices! Add these to my ever growing list of upgrades...

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote