Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
AEJ

PH Bed Modifications in a "50" style layout

This is a project aimed at making the PH bed more comfortable and easy to use.

I have made a mattress platform from flanged wire decking which has a couple of advantages over the PH bed system from SMB. The one drawback is that in order to achieve more space above the roof level the braces for the bed platform are protruding about 1" below the shelf. What's gained is an extra inch or more for bedding space and a thicker more comfortable mattress. The wire decking is rated for very high weights and has no sag or give that I can detect.

[img]

This picture shows the 2 bed sections without the mattress. The mattress is being covered at a local auto upholsterer.

[/img]

This is a sample of the 3" sponge foam that I purchased for the bed mattress.

[img]

This shows the flared type decking(for 46" depth) cut to fit the PH rails.

[/img]

The platform is made in two sections: 39-3/4"w x 26"l; 39-3/4"w x 43"l. The smaller back section has the wire decking notched for the rear PH latch.

[img]

The bed platforms and mattress are significantly lighter than the SMB bed. I don't have the weights written down but I think the larger SMB section was about 45lb and the wire deck platform was about 24lb without any mattress. The wire decking also is easy to attack things to. Cargo nets, springs clips(as in picture), or bungy cords to hold any number of other type items. So far I have used a bottom sheet, top sheet, fleece blanket, and quilted comforter in the PH bed and been able to close the roof with no added resistance!

There are still a few bugs to be worked out when the cushions are ready but it seems to work well. I used this method on my last 4 week trip and slept very comfortably in the PH bed.

When I get the cushions back I will post the finished(maybe) project.

Al[/img]

Old 04-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #2

Cool, nice going. Can you take pics of your sections when they're removed from the van, so we can see the sides and whatnot? Parts list? I know I'm asking a lot...
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
AEJ

I notice that I put an incorrect size for the wire decking. I bought standard 46" x 42" 3 channel flared end wire decking. The channels run in the 42" dimmension. I cut about 1-1/4" from each side in order to fit the PH bed channel width of 40". I lined these cut edges with a vinyl j-channel so the edges are covered. I'll also have to wrap the other edges with some type of moulding so I won't get too nasty a cut when I bang my head into the edge! The reason I have heavy cardboard on the decking is so the unprotected mattress foam would not get damaged on the decking. Once they're covered I'll have to decide if the covered cushion still needs further protection.

Everything, has been done haphazardly as I'm just experimenting. If it functions well, I can make it more aesthetically pleasing.

I'll take some pictures of the wire decking outside of the van and post them tomorrow.

Al
Old 04-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
Thanks for the great posting...

I have the 3 piece PH bed and I do not like the weight, sagging and thin/stiff mattress. I was thinking of replacing the plywood with something stiffer and lighter. My thought was to use square metal tubing to define the 2' x 42' perimeter. A laminate of cabinet plywood sandwiches the foam and tubing.

But alas, too many projects and not enough time...I may buy a 1.5" mattress topper memory foam and see if that helps. I think I can put it between the PH bed and PH and let it compress a little.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
AEJ

I recieved my upholstered mattress cushions and have installed them on the PH bed wire decking platform with a double faced corrugated cardboard sheet between the cushion and the decking. The last item is to decide if I want the underside to be white as the SMB bed underside is. I may change it to grey like the upholstery.

The completed upholstered mattress pads attached to wire deck platform:

[img]

The bed w/all bedding and top up:

[/img]

The bed w/all bedding stored up top and the roof down (note the shower catch pan bungeed to underside of platform):

[img]

Closeup of catch pan bungeed to decking:

[/img]

Photo of edge of wire decking that has been cut to fit PH rails and capped w/a "j" channel:

[img]

Cost of materials:

2- 46"w x 42" d flared end wire decking $35 local material
handling supplier

2- "j" channels & silicone $11 Home Depot

1- 3"h x 39"w x 44"l mattress foam $84 local foam mfg
1- 3"h x 39"w x 26"l mattres foam

1- 40"w x 44"l double faced corrugated cardboard $8 UPS Store

Auto upholstery $220 local upholsterer

Yotal cost was $358. I'm sure if I had shopped around I might have gotten a better price from the upholsterer, but I was in a hurry to get it finnished.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied w/the outcome.

Al
Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #6

Garage
I was also considering modding an IKEA slat base for a bed for a SMB PH

The flex of the slats would make the bed softer.

The slats could also be flipped over for a thicker matress

The full/queen is $40, it would have to be trimmed 4 inches to fit a SMB PH

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10112554

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
AEJ

Marty,

It looks like you might use the twin(37-3/4"w) for the PH . Is this designed to support body weight with nothing underneath it? Also, you should consider what type of mattress foam will work with it. Most mattresses for homes are much thicker than what would store in the PH when its down. I wish I had seen this, it's worth checking out.

Al
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #8

Garage
Hi Al,

The slats are designed to be open underneath. The curved one is springy to replace a box spring with a 'leaf' spring.

There is also one with a tilt up back for reading.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00098761

Ikea also has mattresses all the way down to 3 7/8" foam. We own 2 for the kids.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10094343

Quote:
Originally Posted by aej4@verizon.net
Marty,

It looks like you might use the twin(37-3/4"w) for the PH . Is this designed to support body weight with nothing underneath it? Also, you should consider what type of mattress foam will work with it. Most mattresses for homes are much thicker than what would store in the PH when its down. I wish I had seen this, it's worth checking out.

Al

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'